Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: **Official uNL Microbrew thread: August PT 2**

[ QUOTE ]
I read a really good article in one of the card magazines that talked about the progression of the poker player and it is as you state Trig - a constant roller coaster from tight to loose with different levels of aggression. I actually pull that article out from time to time and reread it - it is amazing how accurate it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a direct product of variance. A player might change his style and find great success due to a good streak but can't get over a results oriented explanation for that success. Then, he might hit a cold streak, evalute his game, change some things and again it seems to work. It takes a lot of experience in form of played hands to slowly let go of über-interpreting short term results. With the growing experience the player will also get better overall.

Getting to the last stage means finding a style that one is comfortable with and play good poker. For some, that is a LAG style, for others it's a TAG style. The thing that makes either player a winner is the part about playing good poker, which at that point has little to do with different styles (the reasonable styles all work).

It is something that just takes time/experience.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 PM

hahahaha, all I can do is laugh, hahahahahahahahhaa

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $22.90
BB: $27.50
UTG: $9.55
MP: $32.15
CO: $19.40
Hero (BTN): $24.55

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $5.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $24.55</font>, 2 folds, CO calls all-in for $14.40
Uncalled bet of $5.15 returned to Hero

Flop: ($39.15) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Turn: ($39.15) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

River: ($39.15) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $39.15 ($1.95 Rake)

CO had 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Eights and Fives) and WON (+$17.80)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Kings) and LOST (-$19.40)
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Hmm - that was fun - decided to donk around a bit and so entered a party $2 tourney, folded about 100 hands, get delt AA, big raise, get it AI on the flop of 8J5r AA vs QJ - turn is Q giving him 2pair - thats it for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Question: Is it safe to assume at 50NL that if you have a 1 card flush, and villain makes anything but a minbet on the river, they have the nut flush?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:50 PM

OK - not funny - just decided to give 25NL a 1BI shot on party as they seem to have put 15$ in my account - get a nice position on a super fish - raise it up with AK, get it AI on turn with 2 pair (AK9T) river is T, villain turns over AT and takes it down!!! Poker is not fair ;(
Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK - not funny - just decided to give 25NL a 1BI shot on party as they seem to have put 15$ in my account - get a nice position on a super fish - raise it up with AK, get it AI on turn with 2 pair (AK9T) river is T, villain turns over AT and takes it down!!! Poker is not fair ;(

[/ QUOTE ]
KK &lt; 85off preflop
See my post above
I feel your pain man
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM

ah - just seen it - not nice. But I guess this is why poker is profitable, if the best cards always won then the fish would not play.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Today is the second time that I moved up to 50nl. And it happened just like my previous experience, down 7 buyins. I guess it's back to 25nl to rebuild again.

[/ QUOTE ]

STOP

LOSS

MORAN

FFS

[/ QUOTE ]

So I regularly undergo large (+/- 5BI's) swings - as I have commented my Sessions graph looks like Oprah's Weight chart. What I have found is that you need to put in place <font color="red">and execute</font> a stop loss. The problem that I, and a lot of people have, is that we are able to convince ourselves as to why the stop loss should not apply:

"This game is too fat for me to leave"

or

"I am just getting bad cards"

or

"I am getting good cards, just noone else has yet."

or

"That guy who has stacked me 3 times is just plain lucky"

and my personal favorite

"This has got to be variance"

What I do know is that if I go back and look at all of these big downswings, there is something bad happening that I am not aware of at the time:

1. The tables are too tight/there are no good games/loose players on atm
2. I have been stacked and I am tilting and opening up my range to get it back
3. I am flat out being outplayed by someone that I am deeming to be lucky
4. My confidence is shaken from losing so many BB's that I am now playing weak-tight
5. My table image sucks so horribly that aggressive play is horribly crippled (keep in mind that 10NL players don't say to themselves "Wow, that guy is getting eff'd by the variance, he raise preflop and the flop is AKQ, my 88 is prolly no good here" they say to themselves "The last time I called him I won")

So, I think the "stop loss FFS" is a pretty good line here. Maybe someday I will have the discipline to follow this line, but only time will tell.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is anyone keen for uNL fantasy (american) football?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll play

[/ QUOTE ]

great that's 2. who else? $10 buyin?

[/ QUOTE ]

im up for a little fantasy football action--- id be up for as much as a $25 buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in the SSNL FF league with a 150$ buy-in so I could manage another league uNL style. Has to be on YAHOO!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

schedule is thigt tho, if some1 wanna take charge of that projet, it has to be done like right [censored] now

[/ QUOTE ]

i can organize the league once i get back from seeing Balls of Fury with the wife. Someone else should take care of the money side of it though as I'm new to uNL
Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Nice post Caine.

My story of the night - log into Party and see a free bonus of $15 which they have put in my account, I can play with it but can't withdraw unless I clear the points requirements. Decide to donk around a bit, play a $2 tourney and bust out with AA (see above), don't like FR and so decide to play some 25NL 6max on party (with a roll of $40 yey BR management). Get stacked with AK (2pr -&gt; FH - see above), and go on tilt a bit. Take a short break and sit down with the remainder of my party roll ($17) at another 6max 25NL table and find a 78/23 sitting opposite me. Stack a shortie for $7 with AJ giving me a full stack, then get it AI against the 78/23 with a flush and stack him, ship it-------&gt; made an overall total of $6 playing 25NL, but here is the cruncher..... since I gambled the $15 party gave me and lost, but then made the money back again I don't have to clear the 200 party points to cash it out.... I guess this means that if ever you get given a cash bonus by party, play HU with your mate, loose the money and then win it back from him and you won't have to clear the points in order to cash it out.

Anyway - its nice to donk around a bit at 25NL, but its back to 10NL now - off to Paris on Friday for the weekend, so not much poker from now until Tuesday, but will be back next week to dig myself out of the crater I created over the past 2 weeks.
Closed Thread