Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: San Diego in an AC world

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sociopaths

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How 'bout you tell me why I should be forced at gunpoint to provide somone in San Diego with a service that they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think that word applies to the person you think it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? Listen Adantahar your a smart guy in general so maybe this will eventually get through to you.

YOU LIVE IN FIRELAND NOT ME !!!!! I AM NOT YOUR MOM !!!!!

this is not to say that we should not help one another or that people don't deserve some help once in a while. But for you to DEMAND help and create a system by which that help is extracted form others against their will?

[/ QUOTE ]

What system did I create? I didn't 'create' a thing. Six point something billion living people and a whole bunch of dead ones have pretty much lived under some kind of system where that help was at least somewhat/somehow provided at some kind of cost to everyone else 99.9999999% of the time, but nobody living today or in the recent past 'created' any of them.

On the other hand, you do want to *create* - not perpetuate - a system under which, if a fire department gets a frantic call for help and uses all their engines to help out the guys in the next county whose fire is too big for the locals to handle, the likely result is them getting sued for a refund on their customers' bill (since their engines, after all, weren't around to protect their customers) or just for outright negligence. That's pretty much the definition of 'sociopathic'/seagull/whatever, and more importantly, it's pretty much the last thing in the world anybody not following your ideology right this second wants. So, in order to convince the statists (lol @ a word that inherently describes 99.99% of the population) that AC-land is the way to go, you're going to have to deal with this, and it's going to have to come in a very different package from "who are you to take it by force", because that very sentence is so entirely and transparently morally bankrupt it's hysterical.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh wait, or is it, "Wtf should I hire Firefighting, Inc. if they are going to run off and reduce our protection to help those rich, crazy, free-riders in socal?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this not a form of "Individualism" that divides a nation?

Correct me if I am wrong, however, I believe that the U.S.A. would be a much better place to live if Congress always acted in a way that addressed the needs of the country as a whole, rather than just serving the special interests.

How can we expect our federal government to act on behalf of the nation as a "whole" if we are not willing to look upon our fellow citizens as important as ourselves?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you are promoting the government's response to this situation. From what I've read they did an awful job of fighting this fire so far. {/quote]

I think you may not have read enough. The winds prevent an air assault on the fire. When the winds are low enough, they are still strong enough to spread the fire retardant enough to make it almost worthless.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM

[/ QUOTE ] I have relatives in the suburbs of S.D. They were not forced from their home. They received a phone call about 3 am telling them that the fire was two streets down and they had to go. Before they left, the cops came thru with a bullhorn announcing the evacuation and then left. It was a small gated community of about 50 homes, so it didn't take them long to go thru and exit. Nobody knocked on their door.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how they would execute their services but I think private fire fighters would be much more proactive in the prevention department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm positive I know how Blackwater, Inc. conducts their "proactive" prevention.

All you have to do is look at the billions wasted on private contractors in Iraq to know what "privatization" would achieve.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Competition would ensure that these companies were efficient, competent, and low cost (compared to the alternative of letting everything burn down at least).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your theory failed the test in Iraq.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how they would execute their services but I think private fire fighters would be much more proactive in the prevention department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm positive I know how Blackwater, Inc. conducts their "proactive" prevention.

All you have to do is look at the billions wasted on private contractors in Iraq to know what "privatization" would achieve.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US govt is the one that gave Blackwater the special status to operate in Iraq free of usual repercussions for their actions.

Let me ask: How is that computer working out for you? I hear that govt made computers are vastly superior to those made by private sector. And lord knows I wouldn't get on a plane flown by a private contractor -- only govt pilots for me.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Copernicus,

1. Please explain why you feel the Guardian is not a reliable news source? <font color="red">It consistently tries to put anything in the US in a bad light. It is extremely biased. </font>

2. How does the fact that you "own property in an evacuation area, idiot" lend any credibility to your argument? <font color="red">Uhhh...because I know first hand what the police and firefighters have done? Because I know first hand the policies on fire prevention and containment and don't need the Guardian to tell me whats happening? </font>

3. Why would an insurance company voluntarily provide fire prevention services when they can have the government do the same thing at no cost to them? <font color="red">Because they may feel that the government is doing it differently than they would, and loss prevention increases their profits? Why do insurance companies have risk reduction departments for their property and liability clients despite OSHA and other regulations? Because its good business. </font> And why would residents of SoCal buy adequate fire insurance if they know the government will just bail them out <font color="red"> because they wont necessarily be bailed out for their personal losses </font> (I know you live there, but plz to be reading this link). You're wrong, the market incentives currently in place are not at all like those we would see in AC-land. <font color="red"> I was responding only in the context of the post I was answering which proposed nothing different under AC. If youve got better ideas than he did, add them. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And lord knows I wouldn't get on a plane flown by a private contractor -- only govt pilots for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst.Example.Ever.

You fail.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I am wrong, however, I believe that the U.S.A. would be a much better place to live if Congress always acted in a way that addressed the needs of the country as a whole, rather than just serving the special interests.

[/ QUOTE ]

THe problem with this utopian dream is that "the country as a whole" doesn't have one single set of needs. There are lots of individuals, many of whom have needs that are at cross purposes. So why strive for some universal one-size-fits-all solution?

[ QUOTE ]
How can we expect our federal government to act on behalf of the nation as a "whole" if we are not willing to look upon our fellow citizens as important as ourselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is important. You're trying to smear freedom by tieing it to selfishness. They are not inherently linked.