Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues
Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
Mondo,

Thank you for coming to Sporting Events. You have made the majority of my posts look like pulitzer prize winning articles. Keep up the good work.

Your Biggest Fan

[/ QUOTE ]

I am stuck in an airport, reading this thread on my phone, so I can't fully respond to mondo. but Needle has done it better than I would have.

Needle for Pulitzer!!! or the very least a Peabody.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still, yes, he's a key player, but he's already a 3-year MLB...well out of the farm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ saying a 24 yr old who has played 3 seasons doesn't count for saying that the Yankees have brought talent out ofntheir farm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back and read my post again (or not, I don't really care). I did say the Yankees hadn't brought any talent out of their farm system. I said that the Yankees farm system is pretty dry, and that having Cano and Soriano come through, and pretty much nothing else, doesn't mean you have a good farm system.

Cano is a wonderful player. But in the three years since, Melky Cabrera's the best you can do, and he's no better than average.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And whom do you project that to be, besides Joba?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kennedy and Hughes have also proven themselves to be major league ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they seem ready to pitch in the majors, but they're not yet ready to lead the Yankees to the playoffs. Hughes looked overmatched at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did Wang. So did Pettite. So did Mussina. So did Clemens.

And so did every pitcher in the Rockies rotation this year.

The Yankees have a core of talented young pitchers. They also have a strong farm system. There are certainly a lot of question marks -- but that was true before Torre rejected an offer that would have returned him to the highest paying managerial job in baseball. I am not saying Joe did the wrong thing -- just that he received a fair offer and he exercised his right to turn it down. No one else is going to be paying him $5MM next year.

[ QUOTE ]
not saying they're not ready to play, but they're definitely not going to lead the Yankees to the World Series yet, no matter who's managing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bold prediction... how can you say that now? And they don't need to "lead" with Wang and possibly Pettitte at the top of the rotation. No one would have predicted last year that the Rockies could make it to the World Series with their current rotation -- in fact no one could have predicted who would have been in that rotation.

You are acting real cocky for a fan of a team that is seeing its first success in its history and could easily return to mediocrity next year.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cashman is a fine GM. Not the best, but he's pretty good, and he's made great strides to get the Yankees' farm system back on track.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think he has improved over the last couple of years as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And whom do you project that to be, besides Joba?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase Wright and Matt DeSalvo, LDO

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase Wright is already 25 and couldn't get major league hitters out in his breif callup this year. He may have a major league career, but he's hardly a stud.

Matt Desalvo is already 27, and is a worse pitcher than Chase Wright. He's an organizational player, at best.

I hope those aren't the guys you're looking to lead your staff in the coming years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-18-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still, yes, he's a key player, but he's already a 3-year MLB...well out of the farm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ saying a 24 yr old who has played 3 seasons doesn't count for saying that the Yankees have brought talent out ofntheir farm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back and read my post again (or not, I don't really care). I did say the Yankees hadn't brought any talent out of their farm system. I said that the Yankees farm system is pretty dry, and that having Cano and Soriano come through, and pretty much nothing else, doesn't mean you have a good farm system.

Cano is a wonderful player. But in the three years since, Melky Cabrera's the best you can do, and he's no better than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this can be attributed to the Yankees don't have a ton of open spots for young players to come in and start? The Yankees have one of the best groups of young pitchers in baseball, all coming through the revamped farm system where the team made it a point to center their player strategy on keeping and grooming young pitching, instead of trading them away for older vets. This strategy has only been in place for a few years, and look at the young pitching talent who will be playing next year (Joba, Hughes, Kennedy).

Sure they don't have a ton of positional players who have been recently called up, but you aren't looking at the fact that young pitching is much more important to have than young hitters. It is much harder to get top of the line starting pitchers than it is starting position players, and because of this, and the fact that there aren't many open spots on the roster, the Yankees have put more resources and draft picks into getting young pitching. And they have done a great job at it.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not saying they're not ready to play, but they're definitely not going to lead the Yankees to the World Series yet, no matter who's managing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bold prediction... how can you say that now? And they don't need to "lead" with Wang and possibly Pettitte at the top of the rotation. No one would have predicted last year that the Rockies could make it to the World Series with their current rotation -- in fact no one could have predicted who would have been in that rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the Rockies were a huge surprise. I predicted 81-83 wins for 3rd place, but whatev. I'll be pleased if they can win 85-90 games next year and be competitive, sure. Right now, they're way ahead of the Dodgers and Giants, on many levels, and ahead of Arizona, as well. San Diego has to have at least an equal shot at winning the NL West next year, so we'll see. But no, I'm not cocky becuase of the Rockies' surprise success this year. However, I'm not nearly as insufferable and cocky as most Yankees fans, either.

Everyone who claims to be smart considers the AL East the toughest division in baseball (though no division with Tampa Bay and Baltimore can really be considered tough). I'm just saying if that *is* true, I'm

Only in NYC can a 25% pay cut to run a team that made the playoffs for the 12th straight year be considered a "fair offer".

Most of the credit should go to the players, both for their successes and their losses. Managers have a fairly limited impact, in real terms, in a sport where almost every team will win 60 games and lose 60 games, leaving about 40 games where there can even be any impact at all.

That said, the Yankees went...what...17 years without winning a World Series before Joe Torre.

The Yankees have a LOT of holes to replace, and manager didn't necessarily have to be one of them them.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Joba, Hughes, Kennedy is the best we can do...and I'm ok with that. There is no reason to bring up other outfield prospects when we are commited contract wise to Bobby A, Johnny Damon, and Hideki Matsui.

and I believe the Yanks have a top notch outfielder already in the pipeline.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cashman is a fine GM. Not the best, but he's pretty good, and he's made great strides to get the Yankees' farm system back on track.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think he has improved over the last couple of years as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also have to give Cashman credit for the fact that he was the main person behind the youth movement. This was his plan, and once Steinbrenner took a backseat, and allowed Cashman to keep young players and not trade them away for one year gap stops, the farm system has greatly improved.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who claims to be smart considers the AL East the toughest division in baseball (though no division with Tampa Bay and Baltimore can really be considered tough). I'm just saying if that *is* true, I'm

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? You don't think the AL East is the toughest division? Where does COL finish if they played in the AL East? Where do any of the AL East teams finish if they play in the NL West?

craig