FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: why hockey is dumb

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather have the teams play a somewhat unfair version of football than a totally different game

[/ QUOTE ]

They play lacrosse? Looks like football to me.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not. It's a red zone offence vs. redzone defence drill. Calling this foorball would be like calling a penalty shootout soccer, or a home run derby baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible analogy. It's football and it's "more football" than the current NFL system.

As I said earlier, not a single team would kick a field goal on 1st and 10... yet you see this happen in the NFL OT system.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way that a system that eliminates special teams is "more football" than the NFL system. The college system may be closer to football than shootouts are from their sports, but it is still very different from football.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the 9320th time, kicking a field goal on 1st and 10 is NOT football.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather have the teams play a somewhat unfair version of football than a totally different game

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not. It's a red zone offence vs. redzone defence drill. Calling this foorball would be like calling a penalty shootout soccer, or a home run derby baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible analogy. It's football and it's "more football" than the current NFL system.

As I said earlier, not a single team would kick a field goal on 1st and 10... yet you see this happen in the NFL OT system.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way that a system that eliminates special teams is "more football" than the NFL system. The college system may be closer to football than shootouts are from their sports, but it is still very different from football.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, neither is being given the ball on the 25. I have already said that there are better systems than the NFL system. I just don't think the college system is one of them.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why hockey is great

[/ QUOTE ]

That goal was awesome.. LOL @ Chicago!!! They don't broadcast their home games because they are morons.. so no one Chi-town got to see this goal unless they were at the game.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh? so i guess when it happens on the final play of the game in regulation, as it often does, that doesn't count either? maybe they should add more time to the clock to make sure teams go for touchdowns?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why hockey is great

[/ QUOTE ]

That goal was awesome.. LOL @ Chicago!!! They don't broadcast their home games because they are morons.. so no one Chi-town got to see this goal unless they were at the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, their POS owner recently died, which sadly is the best thing to happen to Chicago in years. However, we still need to see if his family keeps up his crappy ownership legacy or actually try to fix things in Chicago.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They still have special teams. It's called the FG unit.

Nice try though. It's still more exciting than NFL OT.

b
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, neither is being given the ball on the 25. I have already said that there are better systems than the NFL system. I just don't think the college system is one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still waiting for you to explain those 'better' systems.

b
Old 10-22-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh? so i guess when it happens on the final play of the game in regulation, as it often does, that doesn't count either? maybe they should add more time to the clock to make sure teams go for touchdowns?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a nit... you are an idiot if you can't figure out the difference between kicking a field goal on 1st and 10 with 10 minutes remaining and kicking it on 1st and 10 with 20 seconds remaining.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They still have special teams. It's called the FG unit.

Nice try though. It's still more exciting than NFL OT.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, the point is that there is no field position play. This is a drastic change from the way football is played. As for excitment, that is a matter of opinion and totally irrelavant to me. They could decide tied games with a pistol duel between the head coaches. It would be very exciting.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Still waiting for you to explain those 'better' systems.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

It is so stupid that this discussion is happening in a hockey thread but whatever. Better systems:

1) leave games as a tie. Unless the game is a playoff game, there is no need for overtime at all.

2) Play a full extra period (of whatever length). Ideally, play two extra periods of some length with each team getting to kick off to start one. If after this the game is still tied, do it again.

3) Have the teams bid worse field position against each other. For example
Team A: we'll tkae the ball on our own 20 yard line
Team B: we'll tkae the ball on our own 17 yard line
Team A: we'll tkae the ball on our own 12 yard line
Team B: take the ball.

Overtime would then start with Team A having the ball on their own 12 yard line. From there, they would play sudden death (If team A goes 3 and out, they have to punt, and team B gets good field position. Team A could drive down the field and win on the first possesion, but they would have to do so from poor field position, and Team B would have had the opportunity to take the ball first).

4) Play the first team to 4 points wins.

5) Play the arena format where if a team scores on their first possesion, the other team gets one possesion to score. after that, sudden death.

Any of these would be better than the current NFL format ,and MUCH better than the college format.