Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul\'s racist comments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was curious so I did some reading online, and everything I could find, says that in that 2001 Texas Monthly Article, he admitted . . . it was a ghost writer. I couldn't find anything, anywhere, that said he admitted it was him.

So maybe you could cite specific quotes or links. Cause all you have now are vague "he admitted it" citing a source that as far as I can tell, does exactly the opposite. Proves he didn't write the article.

[/ QUOTE ]

To which, he admitted that he kept it a secret that he didn't write it during the 1996 campaign on the advice of aides, and instead chose to represent to voters that he wrote it and in turn, defended it.

Hence, during his 1996 campaign, he claimed the piece as his own, but later in 2001, he admitted he was lying about it at the time on the advice of staff.

Get all that? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to....Politics?

pol·i·ti·cian
–noun
1. a person who is active in party politics.
2. a seeker or holder of public office, who is more concerned about winning favor or retaining power than about maintaining principles.
3. a person who holds a political office.
4. a person skilled in political government or administration; statesman or stateswoman.
5. an expert in politics or political government.
6. a person who seeks to gain power or advancement within an organization in ways that are generally disapproved.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM

The reason it was "chopped up" wasn't because I was "cherry picking" it was for clarity to show what parts of your statements I was addressing with each part of my response.

You said he was speaking in generalities about racial entire racial groups and I pointed to the part of his statement where it clearly shows he wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]
aside from you asserting that obvious racist comments aren't racist in your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your definition of racism?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Racism is viewing people who share the same skin color strictly as a group and asserting that they are all alike, rather than judging them based on their individual characteristics.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even what racism is. That's STEROTYPING. Racism is believing that one race is inherently BETTER than another because of genetics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was merely going on the definition of racism as given by Ron Paul himself in April, 2007.

Paul wrote:
<font color="red">Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups."
</font>

One could thus deduce that using Dr. Paul's 2007 own definition of racism, the writings in his 1992 newsletter constitute racism.

Ship it... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not even what racism is. That's STEROTYPING. Racism is believing that one race is inherently BETTER than another because of genetics.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you STEREOTYPE one race as 95% criminals, a race that it is rational to fear, suggest that it is okay to treat the juvenilles of that race differently in the criminal justice system because they are bigger (and therefore more "adult"???), and suggest that the parents of that race raise their children to hate (whereas not a single person of your race does) ---- those are RACIST STEREOTYPES.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Racism is viewing people who share the same skin color strictly as a group and asserting that they are all alike, rather than judging them based on their individual characteristics.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was merely going on the definition of racism as given by Ron Paul himself in April, 2007.

Paul wrote:
<font color="red">Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups."
</font>

One could thus deduce that using Dr. Paul's 2007 own definition of racism, the writings in his 1992 newsletter constitute racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

which he didn't write? Head asplode

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul wrote:
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this quote clearly shows that Ron Paul is a racist.

Racists are often known....to....to......describe racism as undesirable and then define it within terms that the person describing them would fit....

?

I think you're actually hurting your argument here - which is fine too.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was curious so I did some reading online, and everything I could find, says that in that 2001 Texas Monthly Article, he admitted . . . it was a ghost writer. I couldn't find anything, anywhere, that said he admitted it was him.

So maybe you could cite specific quotes or links. Cause all you have now are vague "he admitted it" citing a source that as far as I can tell, does exactly the opposite. Proves he didn't write the article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, let's see if you can follow along here.

In 2001, he admitted that he DIDN'T write the newsletter.

We both agree on that.

In the same article, it was asked why then, did he assert during his 1996 campaign the opposite, that he did write the newsletter.

To which, he admitted that he kept it a secret that he didn't write it during the 1996 campaign on the advice of aides, and instead chose to represent to voters that he wrote it and in turn, defended it.

Hence, during his 1996 campaign, he claimed the piece as his own, but later in 2001, he admitted he was lying about it at the time on the advice of staff.

Get all that? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could accept just this we would be fine.

1) ghostwriter messes up.
2) Paul takes bad advice and claims article as his own.
3) Paul comes clean about the whole ordeal.

He screwed up. Who cares? Every politician has something like this in their record. But I dont see the racism in this.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 PM

No. Racist. Shiiipppp iiiitttt
Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM

Also, if I remember correctly this line of discussion started when someone told redbean that he should learn more about pauls politics and stances because they actually make sense. Redbean says ok, I will go research paul, he comes back quickly and goes OMFG 1992 LETTER HES A RACIST, FACTS!

Redbean, why do you refuse to discuss any of pauls other policies? BECAUSE HES A RACIST I GUESS? Whether or not he wrote the comments notwithstanding, and whether the reason he never made a big deal of publicly refuting them was because no one cared enough about who he was to make it an issue, do you treat every politician this way? Or did you just see that there were a large number of paul supporters on this forum and decided to troll them?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RedBean, I personally know many more openly racist black people than openly racist white people. Hell on Tyra Banks just 10 minutes ago (background noise), Salt n Pepa were just performing Shoop (14 years after it came out ldo) and screamed "All my black girls throw yo' hands in the air!" That could be deemed racially insensitive, no? Do I think Salt n Pepa are racists? No. I think you're blowing this way out of proportion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are any of the people you know, including Salt N Pepa, running for president? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Paul saying to what amounts to "according to crime statistics more black people commit crime than whites" and "black people don't like white people" doesn't mean [censored]. He said it in an insensitive way. It happened 10 years ago, and he made a mistake with such a generalization but it sounds like you're ready to form a lynch mob complete with pitch forks and torches, to storm his house. This is seriously a non-factor. All this "Rabble rabble Ron Paul is a racist rabble rabble" is frankly nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your summary, I take it you didn't bother to actually read the newsletter.

Also, my apologies if you have misperceptions on my discussion of the subject. You can put any fears at ease, and rest assured that I have no interest in forming any lynch mob, nor in storming Ron Paul's house.

I didn't realize my posting about a relevant subject to politics would be misconstrued as an attempt at physical harm.
Closed Thread