Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Up date of what I think I learned regarding pot odds and breaking

[ QUOTE ]
Which equals 18% 1/4.5 or 1/5.5 you seem to say both.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't say both.

1:4.5 is one-to-four point five.
1/5.5 is one out of five point five.

They are fundamentally different
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 PM

If you cannot comprehend the fact that odds of 4.5:1 when expressed as a percent is 18 or as a fraction is 1/5.5 after all the work everyone has done to help you I can no longer be of assistance.

good luck
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Thomas,

Are you for real or are you just a Troll?

If you are not a Troll then the problem is that you have read the formula and can do the sums but you really don't get it.

You seem to be working under the delusion that the extra "1" in the formular (sic) compensates for an extra bet into the pot [in your example the $2 that brings the pot up from $9 to $11] and that this magically moves the "break-even point" [BTW, is it described that way in the book?] from the pot odds of 4.5:1 to a new ratio of 5.5:1. That is incorrect.

The extra one represents the one time you win.

The thing is, "odds" are mob law. If 9 people on this thread think you are wrong (a low estimate) but you are the only one who thinks you are right (has anyone agreed with you yet), then in a fight that's nine against one.

Probabilities are much more democratic; every one gets a vote. So if a newcomer doesn't know the correct answer and asks one of these ten people [note: that's ten people, made up of the nine people who think you are wrong + you] at random then there is a 10% chance [note: that is 10% calculated as one divided by ten, and did I mention that the 10 is made up of the nine people who think you are wrong + you?] that they will get the wrong answer.

So do you see that in this example, the "1" being added in the formula does not represent a shift in the balance from nine against one to ten against one. It doesn't mean that you have come over to our side. It just that when converting from odds to probabilities you have to count every possibility - even the very stupid ones.