Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: University of Florida student Tasered at Kerry forum

It's amazing to me how people can interpret the same video in different ways.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 AM

well how long was this guy's "rant" at the microphone? it was less than 30 seconds I think. I mean, when you box someone in that much that any question must be <10 or <5 seconds it's pretty sad.

having said that I guess the real story all took place before any video was taken (guy was being chased all over the auditiorium by cops ?)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 AM

More proof that this student was just conducting a personal publicity stunt:

College cop: After being shocked, student said we 'didn't do anything wrong' (USA Today)

"Mallo says the student's "demeanor completely changed" when he was away from the cameras. "I am not mad at you guys, you didn't do anything wrong, you were just trying to do your job," she quotes him as saying during the ride to the local jail."
Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Wow, I can't believe this video that brought me so much joy lead to this much heated discussion.

Just thinking of this scene:

Huge Attention Whore D-bag: "Please don't tase me!" (as he continues to resist arrest)
Overweight Pissed-off Cop: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Huge Attention Whore D-bag: "OOOOWWWWWW MOOOOOMMMMMMMMYYYYYY!"

brings a huge smile to my face.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those people would have done the exact same thing? UHHH, WRONG. Watch again... not sure what clip it is but you can see some faces in the crowd, including a black guy who's smiling at the whole ordeal, while there are zero outrageous yells. It's only as they taser him that people start shouting and screaming like he's being raped, getting out of their seats, etc. Same thing with the UCLA [censored]... if the police just drag him the extra 5 feet needed instead of tasering him, you don't have a HUGE issue. OH NOEZ, POLICE OFFICERS HAVE TO WORK!!~ We should all pity them for being forced into such a job! You're whole conspiracy of "fighting the man" and sticking up for "free speech" is BS.

But yeah, I love how you go from 20+ minutes of fighting over 4 officers to resisting 2-3 officers for a minute. What's going to happen in your imaginary world next?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this a huge issue? The only people that remotely have a problem with it are people like you who seem to think that officers should never use any type of force to get compliance when perpetrators are resisting. The simple fact is that the officers were just using a tool they had at their disposal to get this guy to comply.

You are going to disagree that they didn't actually try. This is bieng willfully ignorant, they tried to cuff him he never stopped trying to thrash and squirm away. At that point, as outlined in the guidlines highlighted by BCPVP they have the right to use the tasers. If you look at it from the point of the officers, why would you risk getting elbowed in the face or taking a knee to the balls when you can just tase this jackass and save a bunch of trouble? Or even worse, heaven forbid they actually injure this guy as they use the necessary physical force to subdue and cuff him (as you suggest they do), then they would face all sorts of civil lawsuits as a result.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tasers can and have killed people.

[/ QUOTE ]
so has beating someone into submission, what do you think is more likely to kill someone?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 AM

More about 15 minutes of fame guy from the Washington Post:

"This was not Meyer's first escapade as a provocateur, but it may be his most physically punishing. As a freshman his weekly columns for the Alligator, the campus newspaper, regularly prompted debate. "He would take an idea such as a fundraiser for cancer research, and would bash the way the whole event would go down," wrote Meyer's friend Brandon Crone in an e-mail, noting that some of Meyer's articles were rejected for publication because of their incendiary material.

Some have speculated that his penchant for attention (his e-mail handle is "famouswriterman") led him to stage the outburst to draw traffic to his Web site, http://www.theandrewmeyer.com, a mishmash of political commentary, sketch comedy and filmed practical jokes. On Meyer's Facebook wall, his friends' good wishes are half-horrified, half-admiring.

"Meyer, you are a genius," writes one fan. "Just don't go on Larry King yet wait till you get millions first."

Asked about speculation that Meyer staged the confrontation, university spokesman Steve Orlando said in an interview that someone in the Office of Student Affairs told him Meyer brought his own video camera to the forum, handing it to a friend before rising to ask his question."
Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 AM

I really hope the officers don't lose their jobs because of this prick.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:
What is it with you all? He didn't ge tased because he stayed too long, or because of his questions. He got tased because he was asked to leave, he refused, then he physically resisted, struggled, and caused a big disturbance as the officers were trying to remove him from the premesis.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_r...rry_forum.html
according to one newspaper article it was because he went over his allotted time. not sure from the video that he was told leave now! or be arrested.

According to that article, he was asked to leave and had the mic cut off because he was over his allotted time, not that he was tasered because of it. Read more than the first paragraph and it makes that clear.

Have you watched any of the videos at all? It's not like this guy is standing up there calmly asking a question then out of the clear blue a cop runs up and tases him.

[/ QUOTE ]

from what I saw he was grabbed about 5-10 seconds after the mic was turned off. before the mic was turned off I did see a female police officer say "come on" or something, but that was it.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tasers can and have killed people.

[/ QUOTE ]
so has beating someone into submission, what do you think is more likely to kill someone?

[/ QUOTE ]

utter brilliance, here... newsflash. beating someone (the loudmouth idiot, in this case) into submission would have been wrong too.

read the thread.

keeps you from looking like you just pieced something out from somebody's post, to add nothing of substance...