Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: hs balla, get an apartment and GRLS LDO?!

He reminds me of myself when I was in HS, except he has 100x more $$$ than I did.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 PM

i got laid occasionally in HS, and I wasn't all spazzy about everything.

He's obviously a lonely lonley young man
Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
treats me like a child rather than an adult

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-22-2007, 09:33 PM

I actually did this when I was 17, and I didn't even have a 5-figure bankroll at the time. I'm 21 soon and still standing but I don't think I would recommend it, it's been a hell of a ride.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually did this when I was 17, and I didn't even have a 5-figure bankroll at the time. I'm 21 soon and still standing but I don't think I would recommend it, it's been a hell of a ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip report?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:32 AM

I actually have a relevant tale of my own to share with bbv4life. I hope you guys enjoy it.

When I was 17 I got kicked out of my preppy private high school for possession of a narcotic when I left my snowboarding jacket in the computer room w/my ID and a bag of weed in the same pocket.

My parents were pretty liberal people (Canadian), and didn't think it was right for me to get kicked out of school for such a minor, one-time offense. I had told them the truth about everything before the school even called them, etc, so they felt bad for me more than anything else.

I lived in Hoboken, NJ, where the public school system was really bad. I wasn't going to be able to get into any private schools as I had a sudden, unexplained withdrawal from my high school in the middle of junior year. In order for my education not to suffer, they rented an apartment in Tenafly, NJ just so that I could go to public school there (their public school system was ranked #2 in the state).

In my previous high school, I had always been pretty out-of-touch with people. I was from a much more urban area than most of the kids there. Also, the kids who went to school there were generally extremely spoiled, whereas my parents have never believed in buying things for their kids. I had to pay for my own car, for example, while at least half of the kids in my class had 20k+ cars that their parents paid for. Money was definitely a status thing, and while my parents certainly did pretty well for themselves, it didn't really show.

Furthermore, the town I lived in was a 40 min drive from the school I went to, and so in my freshman/soph year I would always have to convince my parents to drive me out to the suburbs (lol never) if I wanted to hang out with anyone from school. My parents were also pretty strict in making sure they spoke to peoples' parents if I was going to stay overnight and stuff, so it was basically impossible for me to go to school parties.

Because I had never really been part of the social scene at my private high school, I really looked forward to having my own apartment where I could party, take people to hang out, etc. I was going to be living within walking distance of most of the people I went to school with, and could use my apartment as an incentive for people to hang out with me, and more importantly, as a place to bring girls back to (in previous years all my sexytimes had to come from non-school sources).

At first, it was a lot of fun having my own place, inviting people over every day, etc. However, it slowly became clear to me that the majority of the people I was hanging out with weren't really my friends at all, but people who would act like they liked me more than they did in order to have a place to hang out/drink/smoke etc.

The kids I hung out with weren't douchebags or anything, and I think that most of them were pretty good people. They were basically "using" me, but it wasn't an intentional thing at all. I think that spending a lot of time with people who have an ulterior motive for hanging out with you actually makes it a lot harder to make real friends. It becomes difficult to tell how much of peoples' relationship with you is based on personal gain, and how much is based on legitimate enjoyment of your company. Sometimes it's even hard for them to tell the difference, as they won't be doing it on purpose. I find I have a similar problem with some of my friends now, on a smaller scale, just because they know how much money I make (I was not a baller back then).

By the end of my senior year at my new high school, I was generally spending my weekends back in my home town, hanging out with the people I'd known for a long time, rather than partying it up in Tenafly. For the most part, I felt pretty lonely in my apartment. I had almost no close friends, and unless I gave people some kind of incentive to hang out with me, I was often spending hours and hours alone in my apartment. Looking back, I think I was pretty depressed my 2nd semester senior year. I slept in till noon every day, causing me to fail classes that I otherwise would have gotten As in for excessive absences, and I became too lazy to ask people what they were up to after school/go to parties/etc.

Finally, my apt did not get me laid AT ALL. I never once hooked up with anyone in my new high school. It's not attractive to girls when you offer things to other people or are generous or whatever. It was nice to be able to drive girls I knew from my home town back to my apartment when I had nowhere else to go, but honestly, I could just use the backseat of my POS car anyway. The lack of a place to go is never really going to stop you from getting laid. If you and a girl are similarly inclined, you will work something out.

I only am still in contact with two people from high school. One was on a sports team with me, and the other happened to go a college in the same town as me. However, I am still in contact with dozens of people I knew from other places throughout my life.

While I did learn a lot about both myself and friendship, etc from my experience, I think you'd be better off learning these things from other, less [censored] life experiences. If you are going to get an apartment, split the bills with some friends or something. I believe your incentives for getting your own apartment are very similar to the reasons I was so happy about getting mine, and it just doesn't work out the way you'd think it would.

That being said, a 20k BR and winning at 2/4 is much more than enough to afford 1400/mo. Nit.

My advice to you would be to perhaps talk to your parents about paying a little towards rent and getting a part of the house to yourself, some boundaries, etc. Talk to them frankly about the fact that you would like some privacy as you are growing up, etc etc. I think this will improve your relationship with your parents, make you feel more independent, and avoid all the problems I talked about.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 AM

the above post is really good, people aren't honestly impressed by what you own. also, its a few months, stick it out, you'll be in college soon and this will all be remedied to some extent or another
Old 09-23-2007, 04:48 AM

even if people are impressed with what you have, they won't like you for it
Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, a 20k BR and winning at 2/4 is much more than enough to afford 1400/mo. Nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but OP 4bets and calls shoves for 150bbs with QJs which can induce VARIANCE AND LARGE DOWNSWONGS
Old 09-23-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but OP 4bets and calls shoves for 150bbs with QJs which can induce VARIANCE AND LARGE DOWNSWONGS

[/ QUOTE ]

don't knock it till you try it