Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License

thing is i am not even on a side here, i was just asking if stores have a right to make a policy that allows them to check people's receipts in exchange for allowing the people to shop there, and if not, should they? i'm viewing it more as an AC thing.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if they ask to check your receipt on the way out of the store, especially in a business with TONS of loss potential, show them and go on with your day. If you get this wound up over something so small, I'd have to wonder how some of you deal with other things in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No freaking way. The line at best buy for bag checks is always 5-6 people deep. Just simply say "No thank you" and be on your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where you live that there is even a line for bag checks. I worked as a cashier at Best Buy last summer and never saw a line at all. Also, I never saw anybody checked without the buzzer going off. I'm sure its happened before, but a line 5-6 deep isn't SOP at any Best Buy I've been to in multiple states.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stuff like this just smacks of attention whoring and life-trolling. The guy is being needless difficult to prove a point. Yay, he owned a stupid employee and a cop who got all cowboy. Long term he's just a pain in everybody's ass.

There's plenty of injustice in the legal system, and I'd rather we waited to get riled up when it's not some kid pimping for blog hits who is being unjustice-ed at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure how much 'attention whoring' is in play here. Probably some of course. But the guy's standing up for his principles.

I was pulled over for a traffic-violation at 2am. Failed to see a 'No Left Turn' sign (even went back to the intersection a couple days later because I had never noticed one there before).
Officer is asking me various questions to fill out the ticket and asks what my occupation is.
"Ummm, why do you need to know that?"
"Because it's a space on the ticket."
"But WHY do you need to know that."

At this point the guy looks at me pretty harshly and I get the impression that if I don't tell him some occupation he's going to get nasty.
I really don't like having to answer such Q's. Whether I do or don't is not relevant. I shouldn't have to.
But I also didn't want this guy to go all COPS-Rambo on me so I told him I'm a professional poker-player. He looked at me funny and wrote 'Unemployed' on the ticket.

I consented to tell him because I felt somewhat intimidated and I'm just not as courageous as the Circuit City guy to stand up for my prinicples because I really didn't want to get arrested for whatever reason he felt like drumming up.
But I really didn't think I should have to and I don't blame Circuit City guy at all for standing up for his rights.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm viewing it more as an AC thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oy.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it must have some effect on their bottom line if they pay a guy to do it

[/ QUOTE ]qft. People plan on stealing less if they know there is a security guard going to be checking their bags and stuff. Whether or not they actually catch anyone with the method is somewhat irrelevant.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I also didn't want this guy to go all COPS-Rambo on me so I told him I'm a professional poker-player. He looked at me funny and wrote 'Unemployed' on the ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha the cop thinks you're a huge fish.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 PM

stupid tangent:

One time I swung by a WalMart to pick-up some condoms.
I'm hobbling around because I have a muscle pull in my leg and I hear that potassium is good for that so I decide to pick up some bananas too.
Just condoms and bananas. The guy at the door who insisted on inspecting my bag was pretty confused.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thing is i am not even on a side here, i was just asking if stores have a right to make a policy that allows them to check people's receipts in exchange for allowing the people to shop there, and if not, should they? i'm viewing it more as an AC thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do. Costco and Sam's Club do this and it's written into their memberships contracts as part of being a member's only store.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if they ask to check your receipt on the way out of the store, especially in a business with TONS of loss potential, show them and go on with your day. If you get this wound up over something so small, I'd have to wonder how some of you deal with other things in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No freaking way. The line at best buy for bag checks is always 5-6 people deep. Just simply say "No thank you" and be on your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where you live that there is even a line for bag checks. I worked as a cashier at Best Buy last summer and never saw a line at all. Also, I never saw anybody checked without the buzzer going off. I'm sure its happened before, but a line 5-6 deep isn't SOP at any Best Buy I've been to in multiple states.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Local best Buy has a counter-type checkout area, with 10-12 cashiers all lined up in a row with lines facing them Everyone leaves this counter and funnels to the two exit doors where there is a guy sitting on a stool with a highlighter checking receipts.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time I swung by a WalMart to pick-up some condoms. I'm hobbling around because I have a muscle pull in my leg and I hear that potassium is good for that so I decide to pick up some bananas too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course that's why you bought them, Bob. Potassium.