Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: 2007-2008 NFL Predictions

Coaching is very important. A good front office that scouts and drafts well is very important.

But in the end, players win football games. Manning is worth 4+ wins over replacement. Coaches are not.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Assuming they are more or less picking their assistant coaches, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the better coaches were > 2 WARC though.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BillNye,

I would like your opinion of:

The best head coach
The worst head coach
The best quarterback
The worst (starting)quarterback.

And after you list those, you can honestly say you'd rather have a Bellicheck/crappy QB tandem than a Manning/crappy HC tandem

[/ QUOTE ]

The best head coach - Not sure, but I would guess Belichick
The worst head coach - I dont honestly know, Id guess a rookie HC, they generally struggle.
The best quarterback - Manning
The worst (starting)quarterback. - I dont honestly know, Id guess Grossman

I think that Manning + Rookie HC beat Belichick + Grossman in 1 game but the coach can have an 30yr career where as Manning is limited to 15ish. Over the coarse up Mannings 15yrs Id take Belichick + Grossman (who will be benched by another talent anyways) over Manning + bad coach.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM

So you can take Belichick and bench Grossman, but I can't take Manning and fire my HC? That's fair.

But I'd still take Manning.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prediction: BillNye will amuse me for the next 20 weeks or so when I visit the sports forum.

I like how he says that Manning can't be used as an example because he just said a "good" quarterback, and not the "best." Yet he keeps talking about Belicheck over and over, who is pretty close to Manning in terms of "the best at their position."

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent mentioned anybody named Belicheck [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have a prediction: you dont know much about football.

Im willing to bet on nearly any football related subject with any of you. I dont know what type of bet I could specifically come up with that regards coaching (seems like it would be difficult), so Ill open up to all football related topics.

I am related to 2 more well known posters than myself, and they will be willing to back me that I wont scam. We can do a week by week pick the winner, or a specific team bet, etc.

You guys really should be throwing me odds cuz im such an idiot, but ill go straight up.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That was definitely Dungy's team that won the Superbowl in Tampa. It was also Gruden's team that lost it.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

In the post I stated that I dont think Gruden is a great coach, I just think that NFL Owners are willing to trade alot for a coach, proving that NFL owners are on the same page as me. Im a Viking fan and Id shell out 2 1sts for 6yrs of Belichick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the Browns and the 5 years they had him?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only was Belicheck not a great coach for them, he was considered a terrible coach after that stint was over. People thought the guy was only coordinator material - he didn't know that coaching wasn't just strategy, it was interacting with the players and coordinators.

Maybe, he like, hired a coach to coach him about coaching! and like - that coach was the best coach coach in the NFL, and that's why Belicheck is now the best coach in the league! One wonders who coached the coach coach though..

[/ QUOTE ]

He went 11-5 for 1 season as coach of the Browns so he wasn't inept and for the Browns that's a pretty big accomplishment. But what I'm saying is there aren't many coaches in the NFL who have had success especially SB success for more than 1 team. Honestly I can't think of 1 during the SB era. I know Parcells took 2 teams to the SB, so did Holmgren, but neither won it with both teams. With coaching to work you have to have the correct personnel. If you don't even the best coach will fail.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holmgren has essentially done nothing in Seattle other than benefit from a consistently piss poor division. Two of his division winners were 9-7 and each time they were beat at home in the wildcard round by relatively horrible playoff teams ('99 Dolphins and '04 Rams).

[/ QUOTE ]

Convenient how the bad losses are cherry picked and the big wins (including destroying Carolina to get into the Super Bowl) and close losses (taking the Bears to OT last year with a secondary consisting of people they found in a homeless shelter) are completely ignored.

I will grant you that the NFC West has been weak for most of Holmgren's stint in Seattle, but a bad coach wouldn't take advantage of it. The Rams won the Super Bowl early on, and Seattle still overtook them to be the reigning divisional champ for several years running. If that is bad coaching, give me a bad coach every time.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you can take Belichick and bench Grossman, but I can't take Manning and fire my HC? That's fair.

But I'd still take Manning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz show me where I said you cant fire your HC. Hypotheticals are really dumb, and neither of us will ever be able to prove anything. So lets make some kind of bet that is not hypothetical.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but the coach can have an 30yr career where as Manning is limited to 15ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone being a head coach in the NFL for 30 years is very rare. I'd bet that no current NFL head coach gets 30 years of in before they retire.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That was definitely Dungy's team that won the Superbowl in Tampa. It was also Gruden's team that lost it.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

In the post I stated that I dont think Gruden is a great coach, I just think that NFL Owners are willing to trade alot for a coach, proving that NFL owners are on the same page as me. Im a Viking fan and Id shell out 2 1sts for 6yrs of Belichick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the Browns and the 5 years they had him?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only was Belicheck not a great coach for them, he was considered a terrible coach after that stint was over. People thought the guy was only coordinator material - he didn't know that coaching wasn't just strategy, it was interacting with the players and coordinators.

Maybe, he like, hired a coach to coach him about coaching! and like - that coach was the best coach coach in the NFL, and that's why Belicheck is now the best coach in the league! One wonders who coached the coach coach though..

[/ QUOTE ]

He went 11-5 for 1 season as coach of the Browns so he wasn't inept and for the Browns that's a pretty big accomplishment. But what I'm saying is there aren't many coaches in the NFL who have had success especially SB success for more than 1 team. Honestly I can't think of 1 during the SB era. I know Parcells took 2 teams to the SB, so did Holmgren, but neither won it with both teams. With coaching to work you have to have the correct personnel. If you don't even the best coach will fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasnt there a coach that reached 4 superbowls (with different teams)?