Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Lucky Jim and his Degenerate Adventures - my new blog!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[said it before and i´ll say it again: you´d really have to prove that you´re a winning player and all that stuff about how good you are is true. as long as you keep on winning accidentally only to lose it all inevitably, you´re just a losing player like 1 gazillion others - except they don´t attention whore like you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, what is offensive here is your suggestion that I won "accidentally" and lost "inevitably". Can't you see the same person can be a brilliant and terrible player, depending on his mood? Stu Ungar was a spew-monster at times too!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Hey Jim I thoroughly enjoyed your blog's first few posts. I'm a gambling addiction guy and find it fascinating to read a well written honest phenomenological account of these experiences and your analysis of them.Dostoevsky didn't play online poker quite so much.

It's far superior to Bluescouse's blog which just contains the numbers of gambling degeneracy. I'd love to read about your past experiences more, particularly your experiences of the therapeutic "help" you went through. Are you taking requests? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Writing can be very therapeutic, especially for someone with your background, maybe it will lead to writing other things away from gambling in the future.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM

I don't know Michael Selzer, but will ask after him next time I'm there.

I'm not gonna discuss any more strat in this thread, but fwiw I can quite happily divulge that you are not a good player from 2 minutes of watching you play. Not to say you couldn't be a winning player, I'm sure you could, but what you need to understand about poker in general is that an average, break-even player has an edge on you even if you are 'better' at poker than him, purely because you tilt.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[said it before and i´ll say it again: you´d really have to prove that you´re a winning player and all that stuff about how good you are is true. as long as you keep on winning accidentally only to lose it all inevitably, you´re just a losing player like 1 gazillion others - except they don´t attention whore like you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, what is offensive here is your suggestion that I won "accidentally" and lost "inevitably". Can't you see the same person can be a brilliant and terrible player, depending on his mood? Stu Ungar was a spew-monster at times too!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and he was a true winner in life as well, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i see that one can play differently depending on your mood - i tilt a lot myself - but only the long run / average tells you wether you´re good or not. "accidentally"/"inevitably" may be a bit harsh, but it´s pretty obvious you lose more often than you win and you lose much more once you are going downhill than you´re winning playing your a game. all in all, you´re a losing player that tells himself how good (and unlucky) he really is.

just prove me wrong, i´d really like to see that. but losing every week and telling everybody how good you are is just flat out ridiculous. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM

this guy has a sickness and really needs to get help. don't read his blog, that will only encourage him to continue his reckless ways.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I lost a nasty hand yesterday morning where a raise-every-hand type had made put in a second raise to make it $20 preflop at $1/$2. With good aces I put in a third raise to $100, which was two thirds of my stack. The flop came 23J rainbow, and he bet 50 to put me in. I instacalled ofc. He had K345 double suited - he'd called a raise to 100 with that. At this point it was still a coinflip who won it, but the 6 on river killed me. Bad play by me? Or just another beat of the sort that will kill me and keep me out of action if I continue to play limits I'm not bankrolled for?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's this kind of reasoning that shows the discrepancy between the voice in your blog and the actual stance you take toward poker. It's obvious that, in spite of massive evidence to the contrary, you still consider yourself a winning poker player. Of course, in your blog you approach your poker-playing with a sort of fatalism where you're resigned to the degenerate lifestyle that you've developed. Sadly, the more you blog about this and receive positive feedback (from 2+2 and from the boost it gives your self-esteem), the less likely you will be to extricate yourself from what is obviously a miserable existence. Sorry for sounding like a hater or whatever, but maybe you should write for yourself instead of some immature poker players looking for entertainment. And, when you're done writing, use what you've written to objectively evaluate what motivates you to continue your self-defeating behavior.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can play long sessions on particular tables and across tables well. I can play well for 10 hours, at times. I played very well during my 2000-hand 50 to 4600 spin-up, and you can't simply put that down to "variance" or "a hot streak".

[/ QUOTE ]

Rationalize it however you like, but the only thing that really counts in poker is who gets to walk away with the money. Have you ever actually managed to withdraw cash from online play?

For some people though, being in action is more important than winning. It all depends what your goals are. However, if I were you and I really wanted to to blow £500 on strippers and coke, I'd use the money I'd normally lose playing poker to do it.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I lost a nasty hand yesterday morning where a raise-every-hand type had made put in a second raise to make it $20 preflop at $1/$2. With good aces I put in a third raise to $100, which was two thirds of my stack. The flop came 23J rainbow, and he bet 50 to put me in. I instacalled ofc. He had K345 double suited - he'd called a raise to 100 with that. At this point it was still a coinflip who won it, but the 6 on river killed me. Bad play by me? Or just another beat of the sort that will kill me and keep me out of action if I continue to play limits I'm not bankrolled for?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's this kind of reasoning that shows the discrepancy between the voice in your blog and the actual stance you take toward poker. It's obvious that, in spite of massive evidence to the contrary, you still consider yourself a winning poker player. Of course, in your blog you approach your poker-playing with a sort of fatalism where you're resigned to the degenerate lifestyle that you've developed. Sadly, the more you blog about this and receive positive feedback (from 2+2 and from the boost it gives your self-esteem), the less likely you will be to extricate yourself from what is obviously a miserable existence. Sorry for sounding like a hater or whatever, but maybe you should write for yourself instead of some immature poker players looking for entertainment. And, when you're done writing, use what you've written to objectively evaluate what motivates you to continue your self-defeating behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, good post.

I am destined to lose at poker for many reasons, but one of the big ones is my constant moving up and down limits. If I had been able to move down to $0.50/$1 when I had $4600 rather than sitting on a short-handed $5/$10 table, I'd have had a fairly decent bankroll to keep myself in action and really see if I could win over time. But my mental function is impaired the more money I have; chips to me are like booze to the alcoholic. I am drunk with money. If I ever made an honest attempt to win I would have to choose one limit and stick to it.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM

I think what has shocked me the most from this thread is that it appears no matter how much somebody calls Jim a degen, a loser, a liar, a thief, etc. etc., the only thing he seems to defend himself on is when somebody said he's bad at cards.

Dood, wtf? I'm bad at cards, I KNOW I'm bad at cards, and I still make money at it. Cards have been a solid source of additional income for me for the past three years. I work a steady 50hrs per week, and make money from poker on the weekends. I'm a low limit grinder (mainly $10/20 and occasional $20/40), and even though I win I KNOW I suck. For you to come on here, losing every dime you own and apparently a lot of dimes you don't own on cards, it really smacks people who know better as pathetic.

I've really appreciated your honesty up to this point, but you suck at cards and suck HARD. Get on with writing and never place a chip in a pot again. You'll be shocked just how much money you'll have instead of chasing a dream inside a nightmare that you're never going to wakeup from.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM

jimm,
reading your blog hurts my eyes...seriously not the words, just literally hurts my eyes.
Closed Thread