Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Sbrugby on 300-600 NL.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the key thing that separates sbrugby from all the rest who have made a lot and lost it is his mental acuity and ability to rationalize and make smart decisions (like moving down).

[/ QUOTE ]

but...he hasn't moved down, that's what is fueling this thread--the speculation about whether Brian is really separate from "all the rest..." or not.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the key thing that separates sbrugby from all the rest who have made a lot and lost it is his mental acuity and ability to rationalize and make smart decisions (like moving down).

[/ QUOTE ]

but...he hasn't moved down, that's what is fueling this thread--the speculation about whether Brian is really separate from "all the rest..." or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it some time maybe? When he hit huge losses for Omaha, he did move down.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not saying he necessarily is SIGNIFICANTLY better than say, jinsokkp/urindanger/hcn/tkdcrew (lol @ all that being 1 person), or mjorg, or durrr.

[/ QUOTE ]

jinsokkp/urindanger/hcd/tkdcrew combined are probably up more than aba is in hsnl on FTP this year now and have 2x the hands (so lower winrate but we have a better idea of what their long term winrate is).

mind you, aba absolutely crushed the hcdnttb account playing HU at 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know which one is better, everyone has their opinions, they are both top 5 nl players in the world probably tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I didn't even mention krantz (who probably is tied with jins/etc for most $ over, like, a fifth of the hands. I am just saying that it was a lot easier to assert that aba was the best player in HSNL when his results were over 3mm on the year and he had won nearly twice as much as the next best player.

aba does have very strong results against durrrr and jins/etc playing HU though. we will probably never have enough heads up data to assert with any reasonable level of confidence who the best hsnl player online is, though.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 AM

I agree w/ all of that. I am not even saying he is the best, but for everyone to say that he's like completely fallen off the throne w/ the information we have thus far, is kinda ridic.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 AM

well he hasn't played yet since saying he was going to move down so time will tell.

as far as who has the greatest edge at high stakes. i would suspect it is whoever is running the hottest at the time(of the good players obv) or whoever has enough emotional control to handle the insane variance of a downswing at those stakes. in that kind of player pool if all players are playing their A game w/o emotions or the money involved playing into any decision, i doubt there is a signifigant difference between most of them.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol none of you have any concept of variance in poker.

Brian is a [censored] beast, regardless of how much he loses now.

You all realize, he is up 1.8m according to highstakes db this year? He has played 90k hands, meaning he is earning 20 dollars a hand, EVEN AFTER A [censored] 2 MILLION DOLLAR DOWNSWING. Also, he is the only one on that list that has come even remotely close to the long term at these levels, though 90k hands certainly isn't the long run at 300/600.

Lately he has been regressing to the mean it appears, but his "mean" slope is still a [censored] towering mountain compared to most of you idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, either 90k is or it isn't a significant sample size.

Regardless of results, I'd say Brian is a beast for his ambition and drive and talent, but I do believe the question of whether the Laws of Busto apply to him is a legitimate one.

Edit: and by "legitimate," I do mean "passable NVG fodder."

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian played a lot of 100/200+ last year with monster results
Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky, can you describe, from a tactical/theoretical/poker-skill standpoint, what makes SBrugby identifiably better than the pack?

[/ QUOTE ]

he knows when to hold em, and when to fold em

[/ QUOTE ]god damn i <3 NVG
Old 08-13-2007, 03:38 AM

i think a lot of people have learned to play against his style.
this whole reraise suited connectors oop and take it down with a c-bet crap is not working any more.
all the good players adapt and improve their game consistently, aba needs to do the same if he wants to stay on top.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 AM

good games and easy money is not as readily available. This contributes to certain problems going on with online poker from these high stakes crowd.

Brian needs to find those hedge fund live fish and take them for as much as they are willing to spew. Become buddies with that Guy Laliberte dude.
.......-
.... - -
...- -
..- -
--> pyramid

me (the jewish slaves making the pyramid)
Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol none of you have any concept of variance in poker.

Brian is a [censored] beast, regardless of how much he loses now.

You all realize, he is up 1.8m according to highstakes db this year? He has played 90k hands, meaning he is earning 20 dollars a hand, EVEN AFTER A [censored] 2 MILLION DOLLAR DOWNSWING. Also, he is the only one on that list that has come even remotely close to the long term at these levels, though 90k hands certainly isn't the long run at 300/600.

Lately he has been regressing to the mean it appears, but his "mean" slope is still a [censored] towering mountain compared to most of you idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very ironic post.

[/ QUOTE ]

why

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly because you start off by saying that all of the idiots have no concept of variance. Then you seem to ignore the concept when talking about his results. Why is it only variance on the way down?

The fact is with the reduced edges and large variance due to aggression levels and short-handed play, all results are pretty much meaningless at this point.

The irony is that you seem to grasp that but totally ignore it when arguing his greatness.