Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: 9mm vs. .45 ACP

[ QUOTE ]
Okay....

Then I suggest the HK USP Compact 9mm....

Or the Beretta PX4 Storm .40 - also they are releasing a compact model in the fall and I will be the first person in line to get mine in 9mm. If you are going to carry than you might want a .40 cal or even just the 9mm - I wouldn't want a full size weapon in .45 to carry around all day. The additional stopping power is there, but lets be honest, if you can hit someone a few times with the smaller caliber bullet they arent going anywhere anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

H&K compact and Walther P99 fit in mah hand better than anything.

So if you have a hand like mine you're golden with that info.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:28 PM

A few comments based on your situation and the thread...

1) Alot of people have recommended a Glock. Make sure you handle the gun before you buy it. Glocks feel like crap in my hand and I would never consider owning one for that reason. I also don't like some of the other features. I'm not saying they are bad, just that it needs to be comfortable in your hand. Personally, I own a Sig P229 40 caliber (with 135 grain Corbon hollowpoints or sometimes speer gold dots). It's a great gun and one that I'd trust my life (and my family's life) with. A hammerless wheel gun also makes a great conceal carry weapon because fo its simplicity and lack of hammer to get hung up in clothes.

2) I agree with those that say shoot it a lot. I mean a lot. You should become very familiar and proficient with it before you consider handling it in a live situation.

3) I hope you realize the responsibility that comes with owning a firearm. Your comment about pumping someone with six shots (or whatever) may be in jest, but it's a serious matter. If you draw your weapon, be prepared to use it. Take time now to think about the gravity of actually having to shoot someone. It's a big comittment.

4) Never, ever, rack the gun to give a warning. I don't care how intimidating it sounds. If you are going to carry/use it for defense, it needs to be loaded and ready to go. A gun without one in the pipe is useless. As someone said, give a verbal warning while ready. Your goal is to eliminate a threat that might or might not be willing to retreat/surrender. It would be great if every one would automatically run away when they heard you chambering a round, but that might not be the case. They have obvisouly done something already to threaten you and giving them time to advance their position is foolish.

5) I know a lot of people like having shot guns in the house for defense and I've read some good articles in support, but I personally would not want one as my primary weapon. If I am forced to move in the house, I do not want to be walking around with a long barrel that can be grabbed/deflected.

6) Become very familiar with the laws in your state.

7) Have fun. Guns are a blast.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glock 30 is everything you could ever want in a handgun. 10 rounds of .45 caliber stopping power, 100% reliability, and extreme accuracy out of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. I would only consider the 9mm if you get squirmish around a 45. The 9mm is nicer to shoot, but a 45 is superior for self defence if you are comfortable with it.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 PM

i have a question. i'm thinking about getting a gun to shoot at the range. not going to use it for home defense. would you guys suggest a 9mm or are the larger calibers more challenging and therefore more fun to shoot? i have never been to a shooting range. would i be able to go down there and shoot a bunch of different guns? do i need to get some kind of license or training before they will let me shoot certain pistols?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 PM

GTL,

Judging from your avatar I'd suggest you perhaps look for a different hobby [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hhaha....actually one of the reasons I chose a shotgun rather than a more utilitarian handguns was becuase of the sound the gun makes, is probably enough to scare any intruder ffrom making sudden moves, at least from everything that Ive read it is a factor in keeping the situation from getting too out of control.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can attest to this i was in a pawn shop once, looking at guitars, and a guy was wanting to buy a gun for self protection, guy behind the counter grab the shotgun, and cocked. you could see everybody cringe/duck alittle bit. he started lauging and said there was no need for an alarm when you hear that sound
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a question. i'm thinking about getting a gun to shoot at the range. not going to use it for home defense. would you guys suggest a 9mm or are the larger calibers more challenging and therefore more fun to shoot? i have never been to a shooting range. would i be able to go down there and shoot a bunch of different guns? do i need to get some kind of license or training before they will let me shoot certain pistols?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have spent hundreds of hours at the range and I can tell you that buying .40 and .45 ammo gets expensive in the long run, so much so that I am rarely using anything but a 9mm at the range these days.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:21 PM

It seems like HKs are pretty expensive. I don't really want to spend more than about $500.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM

Yeah I just dropped 1200 on my HK USP CT... Once you have some experience with guns and find what you like you won't mind splurging a bit to get something you'll really enjoy and get some use out of.

I am strongly, strongly recommending the Beretta PX4 Storm for you. Get it in 9mm. It has an unbelievable feel and breaks down so fast when you need to clean it. I bought mine used for 425 or so, and I think they are about $500 new. It is my 2nd favorite weapon that I own.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 AM

dude really get a glock 19, or a SW 38 revolver. They are both around 350 and great guns. 9mm ammo is the cheap.

Glocks are great, last forever, cheap, easy to find, easy to get parts for, reliable.

All the revolvers are good for reasons above. Really no reason to get anything else.