Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Switch Xorbie and Chuckles roles?
Yes 8 88.89%
No 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Real Life Man of Genius - Emergency Lane Blocker Guy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does 2p2 so liberally use douchebag as an insult when IME it is rarely used IRL? I can't help but view it as a benign word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dusche means "shower" in German, so the insult would make no sense here at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
The derivation means to clean or cleanse in most languages. In the U.S. it happens to mean cleaning or cleansing one's vagina. The bag is what holds the fluid used to do so.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does 2p2 so liberally use douchebag as an insult when IME it is rarely used IRL? I can't help but view it as a benign word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dusche means "shower" in German, so the insult would make no sense here at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the two words are related...

"A Douche (/duʃ/, French for "shower") in American English generally describes a stream of water or a device used to introduce a stream of water into the body for medical or "sanitary" reasons. In other languages douche only has the original French meaning of shower. In the US English sense, it is similar to an enema, however the term is used colloquially to apply to the use in the vagina for women."

With a douchebag being a device used for the process. What do Germans call the process of cleaning the vagina?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:41 PM

HA! You're a vagina cleaner!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HA! You're a vagina cleaner!

[/ QUOTE ]
Um... How long have you been using the word douchebag without knowing what it was?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM

Oh, I knew what it was, just thought it would be funnier to say it that way instead of just saying 'HA! You're a douchebag!'
Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM

I was stuck in this traffic jam on Sunday. We saw several cars and a bus do this blocking maneuver. The concensus among the people in my car was that the blocking cars were [censored] awesome and heros to us all.

To be clear, the cars passing on the shoulder were NOT going to an exit, because there is NO exit for 30 miles. For every car that passed on the shoulder, that is another car that everyone has to wait behind.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I knew what it was, just thought it would be funnier to say it that way instead of just saying 'HA! You're a douchebag!'

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. It wasn't.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 PM

This idea that the car blocking the emergency lane is some immovable object that is impassable under any circumstance needs to go away. As a person who actually drove on the shoulder in a huge traffic jam (Yankees playoff traffic on 80/95) with a real emergency -- my wife's water broke -- I was able to get around the one blocker. It actually was pretty easy -- flashed my lights and honked my horn. Go figure. When I got next to him, I even rolled down my window and told him my wife was having a baby. He gave me a thumbs up. If we had time, we probably would have become buddies and shared a Fresca.

So, in short, emergency lane blocker does hero's work, and hating him because he might prevent someone with a real emergency from passing is kind of silly.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I happen to agree with you that it's a douchebag move. While I can assume that 99% of emergency lane drivers are asshats, maybe someone has an actual emergency. Maybe their wife is preggers or they're in a rush to get to some big family event they can't afford to miss. I wouldn't want to be the jerk getting in their way just to have a laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should put their hazards on and flash their brights.

[ QUOTE ]
Last weekend in a traffic jam I pulled into the emergency lane so I could get to my exit.

I was heading eastbound on I-90 near Ellensburg (Washington State, rural area). There was something going on a couple miles up and traffic was basically stopped dead. People even getting out of their cars, etc. There were alot of people that just wanted to take the Thorpe Highway exit though. So they (myself included) would pull out onto the emergency lane or whatever you call it (I call it the shoulder) and we all crept down past the stopped traffic for nearly a mile. People would yell and some try to run defence but [censored] off you guys, we are trying to exit, not cut in line. If anything we were making it better for all the people that weren't getting off the freeway.

So I don't see the problem if the people just want to exit. If they cut back in line they are douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]

leave your right blinker on
Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last weekend in a traffic jam I pulled into the emergency lane so I could get to my exit.

I was heading eastbound on I-90 near Ellensburg (Washington State, rural area). There was something going on a couple miles up and traffic was basically stopped dead. People even getting out of their cars, etc. There were alot of people that just wanted to take the Thorpe Highway exit though. So they (myself included) would pull out onto the emergency lane or whatever you call it (I call it the shoulder) and we all crept down past the stopped traffic for nearly a mile. People would yell and some try to run defence but [censored] off you guys, we are trying to exit, not cut in line. If anything we were making it better for all the people that weren't getting off the freeway.

So I don't see the problem if the people just want to exit. If they cut back in line they are douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is while I'm sitting in the car watching you pass I don't know which of the two your doing, so I'm going to think your a douchebag. Sorry [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]