Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I smoke weed
Agree 15 46.88%
Disagree 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap

The only thing that sucks about this deal for Minni is that al j is very likely to bounce quite soon (would be hilarious if he ended up back on the Cs somehow).

edit: I should say this is a wierd piece in general. It seems like the Celtics are giving up things that they need more than the Twolves. A guy like Gomes is pretty useless to Minni, they have enough role players and have a similiar "random backup PF who tries hard" in Craig Smith (more inside presence, no shot tho). Gerald Green is whatever on either team, but Minni already has Ricky Davis. Al J is great but he's gonna leave. The picks are nice but they need more than just their pick back (which should at least be top 5) and the Cs pick (not good) to really build.

It seems like if the Cs were willing to give up this much, it could have become a 3 team deal with all the Cs stuff going elsewhere (to a real contender that could actually use these players), with TWolves getting more in the way of proven young stars/good picks.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 AM

Simmon's poker analogy is funny/wrong, but I think it's fine for the general public.

I hope this puts an end to complaining about losing out on Duncan in the lotto.

As far as getting a backup PG, Charlie Bell & Earl Boykins would be cheap.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe PP will hit the damn treadmill and get his chubby behind in gear now that he has some real players on the squad. So who's gonna sweep the Celts in the Finals this year? SA/PHO/HOU/DAL/UTAH?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a poker player. What do you expect?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:10 AM

ugh so i've been overvaluing all my flush draws...
Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
simmons has a pretty good article, it's always refreshing to see a diehard fan with a crappy team react to impact news. as always, simmons is a great writer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070730

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back, it was like watching the World Series of Poker and seeing someone say "screw it!" by going all-in with a jack-nine of spades after a flop yielded two more spades.Is it smart to risk everything on the 25-percent chance that you'll get the flush? Well, it depends on how many chips you have left. If you're desperate, and you're running out of money, and you need a momentum swing, maybe you do it. If you get the flush, it doesn't mean you were a good poker player, it just means you were losing chips and had to take an enormous risk because you didn't have any other choice.

LOL. Stick to Basketball PLZ.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:49 AM

Most of what I think has already been said, but as a Celtics fan, I'm obviously excited. I am sad to see Jefferson and my boy Gomes go, but there's no way we'd have a better shot with Al/Gerald/whoever a few years down the road than with Pierce/Allen/KG now.

I have hated Doc Rivers since the day we hired him, but Simmons is right -- our shortened rotation will give him fewer ways to screw up. He still is a terrible game coach, but at least the players on the floor will be generally correct.

-McGee
Old 07-31-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and then they decided to sell draft picks instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you meant it or not, but this made me laugh.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha.. nice.

The Cs as constructed match up pretty decently with San Antonio and Dallas, IMO. Probably best with SA.

[/ QUOTE ]

"match up pretty decently" is very optimistic of you, I think what you meant to say is "it's slightly better than playing the suns"

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with the masses on this one, although its obviously very early in their team development. What style do you guys envision Boston playing? With 3 old guys as their stars, I think they'll play a San Antonio-type half court offense with a very slow pace. I actually think their style will be very similar to SA's, obviously with KG playing the Duncan role. The main difference being that the other 2 stars will shoot a lot more 3s...perhaps that might result in some longer rebounds and semi-chaotic play at times due to that, but otherwise I don't see any differences compared to SA(especially when Jacques Vaughn is in the game).

Due to this I think they match up terribly with SA because nobody does that style better and coaching greatly comes into play. Conversely I think Phoenix matches up poorly with that style, as KG will give Amare fits and get him in foul trouble. The only difference is that they don't have a Tony Parker type PG to exploit Nash's defensive weaknesses.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jurollo, no that's wrong. Trust me on this. My sources > your sources.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, tuq LIVES in arizona.

[/ QUOTE ]

In today's internet age, does it really matter? I mean, is he really hearing info that is completely unavailable to the rest of the country?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Boston still have a mid-level exception or any other way to fill their bench?

I think having this Celtics team even w/o a bench would make any NBA finals much more interesting than the snooze-fest this year. Imagine something like Celts-Spurs w/ KG v TD.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Celtics still have their MLE. The only non-draft pick signed so far was Brandon Wallace and I am pretty sure he is getting a min. deal and not a part of the MLE.

As an aside... Saw that Allen Ray was waived...there goes the Ray Allen, Allen Ray experiment.