Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Is there any way to Survive a Zombie Epidemic?

[ QUOTE ]
You see, this is the problem with gun law here in the UK -- the idiots in control at the capital never considered that flesh-eating zombies might one day take over the country and there would be huge demand for personal hand gunds!

Anyway, with lack of arms, my plan would be to head to the thames (couple of miles), steal a boat, and bust out to a remote island where I will set up an organic hippy farming commune. Like the end of Dr. Strangelove, this would of course require myself and around 100 dazzling young beauties that I had heroically rescued on my trip along the thames!!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one here has discussed the fact that to successfully repopulate earth, one needs a very high female:male ratio. Although you've all hinted at it with your 100 girls on your island for 1 guy idea. What do you think would be the most efficient ratio of men:women in order to successfully repopulate after the zombies? Don't forget to take into account factors beyond your fantasy, such as the need for genetic variance among the second and third generation and beyond.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM

They say all of the Americas might have been populated by 3 to 10 people crossing the Bering Strait. Only one needed to be male.

I'd be willing to take that chance.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:00 PM

play dead
Old 01-21-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They say all of the Americas might have been populated by 3 to 10 people crossing the Bering Strait. Only one needed to be male.

I'd be willing to take that chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming such a small population base, what technological/scientific era does the new civilization fall back to after the first generation dies out?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Women often make great teachers, but any small group of people will have extremely limited practical scientific knowledge. Long before the first generation dies out, the level of civilization will probably plummet to a century or two behind, if not much more. We'll at least know what we're working toward and what is possible, but even assuming being able to latch on to the best books in the world, we'd still be starting science over again without any mentors, very few teachers if any, and no commercial, research, or industrial support. The first generation of surgeons would be pretty scary indeed.