Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL RESULTS THREAD 05.16.2007***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jordin and Blake are way more marketable than Melinda.

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't matter and america doesn't vote based on who will make the most money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they sure as #$%^&*( didn't base their votes on who the best singer is.

Jester

[/ QUOTE ]

No - but the winner will probably end up being the most talented one. I think Blake stands next to no chance here. What ultimately really did Melinda in, I think, was the impression by a lot of voters that she was already a professional singer, so was in effect a ringer.

Melinda will be fine - as the judges said she's a backup singer no more and she won't have any trouble getting a recording contract.

Jordin has, I think, more talent than Melinda. The difference is that it's raw, untrained talent. It's all potential at this stage. But once that potential gets trained and polished I think Jordin will really be something special.

Blake's career will be short-lived. Jordin's career will last a lifetime if she wants it to.

Th travesty isn't that Melinda went home (although it is unfair). The travesty would occur if Blake somehow ends up winning this.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:20 AM

A few critical observations:

1. Many posters don't seem to know what the word "Idol" means.

2. Most things Idol can be understood if you remember that AI is a television show.

3. Some of you are blaming the game for your losses instead of facing your leaks.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A few critical observations:

1. Many posters don't seem to know what the word "Idol" means.

2. Most things Idol can be understood if you remember that AI is a television show.

3. Some of you are blaming the game for your losses instead of facing your leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you were necessarily referring to me but I certainly don't blame Idol for my losses. I blame myself for assuming that if someone performs extremely well and gets praise from the judges America will vote for them. I guess I would just like this to be a pure singing competition and although that belief served me well the first 4 seasons these last two it didn't.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 AM

i also just wish it was a pure singing competition, but it's clearly just not, unfortunately.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blake's career will be short-lived.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be surprised if Blake becomes a top producer in a few years.

In the mean time I think he might do just fine by getting a band and "practicing" on himself. His voice is limited but it's also much better than the lead singers of many successful rock bands. He just needs to be really careful to pick material that conforms to his limitations. In the real world there are no BeeGees or Diana Ross nights to make you look like a fool.

Singing talent is about 5% of being a rock star and I think he has most of the other 95% under control. For example, Maroon 5 seems to be successful and I think Blake could lead a similar but much better band. You might not like that kind of music but some people do and that's all that matters.

Quite frankly many of the guest acts that have appeared on AI in recent weeks have sucked and wouldn't last long on the show. AI's stage is a very unforgiving environment. Contestants perform live with little practice, ad hoc arrangements, arbitrary time limits, and unsuitable songs. Comparing them to your favorite stars who make CDs in studios with professional producers and carefully chosen material is very unfair.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 AM

Well said StellarWind!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 AM

I don't understand all the hate regarding Jordin. I really like her style of music. She has been my favorite all season long. I like County and also like Ballads. She excels in both areas.

I think next week we can expect to probably hear her sing Broken Wing again. She is very good with that song and has used it in many other competitions.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 AM

I rewatched my recording from Tuesday and Jordin definitely has some star power. Her first song was much better than I remembered it, and her last song was one of the best performances this season. She definitely deserves to be in the final. Blake on the other hand, was less impressive on second viewing. I guess it's just not my cup of tea. Melinda, while technically great, just failed to dazzle on the stage. She will make great recordings though.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 AM

Yeah, you guys don't need to feel too bad for Melinda, she'll do just fine. I don't think there's any real difference in potential commercial success for the final 3 (in general...what I mean is making the finale isn't really gonna help commercially) since they've all gotten so much face time by that point. I doubt it really hurts Melinda very much, if at all. Sure she deserved to win, but w/e, she's gonna make tons of cash off of this so I doubt she's too upset.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM

i think i'm done betting on AI (if i'm strong enough), but i hope to god blake wins this out of default. i really just can't stand jordin. she's way overrated as a singer, and she just comes off as phony and way too perky and bubbly for my taste. most people eat that crap up though i guess. the reason i dont like her is most of the reason she's still standing, so obviously most people dont think like me. i liked melinda's personality (and obviously singing) 100 times better. i liked how she didnt even cry for herself at the end. she held her head high, and it showed character.

whatever, it's just a dumb show that i'll forget about in 2 days after the finale.