FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: ARRGHHH

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are insane if you think Wedding Crashers was overrated. Honestly, it is by far the funniest movie of all time imo, with only 40 year old Virgin coming close. I guess I just enjoy witty humor and sarcasm and certain facial expressions. Either way, pretty much all of my friensd and I agree it is the funniest. One of them tried to argue Billy Madison was, and then he watched Wedding Crashers again and Billy Madison again, and he laughed at even putting BM in the same elite class with WC.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are your Top 2 of comedies of all time? How old are u?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 20. Give me something I haven't seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Like it Hot
Spinal Tap
His Girl Friday

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

god those suggestions are pretentious and lame...you should at least give him suggestionsts that are funny like animal house, stripes, caddyshack, great outdoors, uncle buck, the jerk etc.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Quids - Spinal Tap is pretty hilarious in a non-pretentious way...

-Al
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Al,

"as well as any scenes involving very high-level officials, who of course would be involved on a disaster of this scale."

Haha, yes, I mean this is perhaps the most extreme thing that has ever happened to America and some random FBI cyber-dude is just handling everything with some liasing with other agencies. HAHHAHAHA.

"Also the F35 scene..."

And of course, that whole thing was just ridiculous. Here's a discussion I had with beetz today on this topic when he asked about some negative reviews he had read re: McClain being almost like a superhero in this one:

(11:19:57 AM) : ok so
(11:19:59 AM) : yes
(11:20:08 AM) : when he sorta manages
(11:20:18 AM) : to get tangled in
(11:20:22 AM) : jet / semi truck / freeway crashing
(11:20:27 AM) : and walk out relatively unscathed
(11:20:36 AM) : that is obv ridiculous and unrealistic
(11:20:37 AM) : yet
(11:20:42 AM) : the reaction of anyone
(11:20:46 AM) : WHO IS NOT A COMPLETE [censored]
(11:20:47 AM) : is that
(11:20:52 AM) : HELLS YEAH AWESOME!

censored word rhymes with maggot.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 PM

quids,

I was just about to comment on pryor's selections from 1940 and 1959.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Everyone's gonna watch Transformers, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got a 59 on RT after 79 reviews, which makes me think it won't be all that bad. A couple quotes from bad reviews on RT :

"Whatever chance Transformers might have been a decent movie disappeared the moment Bay was hired to direct."

"No one presumes to apply artistic criteria to the sight of a high-rise being demolished. Why should Transformers be any different?"

"Though he has a way with CGI toys and action set pieces, director Bay does not have a noticeable gift for making human beings come to life. Transformers' multiple earthling story lines are tedious and oddly lifeless."

"It's a sickening force-feeding commercial frenzy to sell cars, toys and war in the same breath that it pawns itself off as "cinema." This is not cinema. This is acid kool-aid for children. Don't drink it."

"In Bay's world, which is more about metal than people, every action sequence must be edited like a cinematic seizure and every extreme-telephoto image must be jammed headlong into the next."

"If you love playing with action figures, Transformers is made for you. Otherwise, this loud and ridiculous film is more likely to be painful than enjoyable."

It seems like some critics are just too anal to accept the movie for what it is, an awesome cartoon that was brought to the big screen. Why should a movie get a bad review because you don't find it artistic, or you don't like the director?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 PM

Just saw Die Hard, kinda disappointing imo. It was alright, but they showed almost all of the good action sequences in the trailer. The standard McClane 1-liners were well done though.

Also saw Ratatouille the other day and liked it a lot. Probably my favorite Pixar movie. As someone who owned lots of mice/hamsters/etc. growing up, the level of realism they achieved in animating the movements and behavior of the rats was just amazing. Really impressed with the animation.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 PM

Mia - I think it helped me in that 1) I had not seen a trailer for it; 2) went in with super low expectations (I was actually dragged to see it by a friend). Still think it's solid and by comparison better than other action flicks I've seen recently.

Diablo - hahaha, well, I guess I might be teh gay, cause that F35 scene was cool for like 10 seconds then got really retarded, imo.

Actually it's interesting to compare this to Die Hard 1. Alot of why I liked the first one is cause it was just well executed and I completely bought it - while watching it no serious breaks with plausibility and I was completely hooked. Also much sharper dialogue and deftly written / tightly woven plot.

They obviously went a different direction with Die Harder, it didn't focus as much on believability and the characters were much broader and less sharp (e.g. yeah, we get it, Bruce Willis is old now and doesn't know how to use the Internets).

This seems to be a larger trend with action flicks (i.e. broader characters, less subtlety, very transparent plot lines, lots of superfluous action scenes). Working in network TV, I have some insight into the decisions that stem from the belief that "the audience is stupid let's make it easy for them". Which is a shame, cause I doubt that's true.

Probably a trite observation, but I don't really watch a ton of movies and seems striking in this instance.

-Al
Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a summer film, but I'll use this thread to direct those of you who didn't read my new OOT thread about the movie to this trailer for the new Coen Brothers movie. It looks absolutely amazing. I'm a big fan of the Coens, but I don't think it's bias to say that this has to be one of the contenders for best film of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

PJ,

Wow! Thanks so much for the trailer link. I am a huge Cohen Bros. fan and have been tracking that film on imdb for a long time. Had no idea that they released a trailer. It looks amazing ... very different than anything I've seen them do before. I could say it looks like a mature 'Blood Simple', but with a bigger budget, a ton more style, and actually good. I was surprised to see none of their regulars in the cast. What do you think about their last three films NOT being based on original screenplays? Obviously they are in the most elite class of current hollywood writers (and have arguably the most original storytelling style - next to Kauffman), but they outsourced 'Intolerable Cruelty', re-made 'Ladykillers', and adapted 'No Country...Thoughts on that?

Slightly off topic: Have you read Ethan Cohen's collection of short stories (Gates of Eden)? .. sorry for the hijak
Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are insane if you think Wedding Crashers was overrated. Honestly, it is by far the funniest movie of all time imo, with only 40 year old Virgin coming close. I guess I just enjoy witty humor and sarcasm and certain facial expressions. Either way, pretty much all of my friensd and I agree it is the funniest. One of them tried to argue Billy Madison was, and then he watched Wedding Crashers again and Billy Madison again, and he laughed at even putting BM in the same elite class with WC.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are your Top 2 of comedies of all time? How old are u?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 20. Give me something I haven't seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Like it Hot
Spinal Tap
His Girl Friday

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've obviously seem Some Like it Hot, but really? In the same class with Wedding Crashers? Probably just style/sense of humor differences, or maybe a generation gap, but I can't even make a comparison.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 AM

Transformers was fantastic and people who don't like it are probably witches or something.
Closed Thread