Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL*** LOST Season 3 Episode 17 Discussion -spoiler free-

[ QUOTE ]
I re-read this and decided since it talks about some things which weren't in this episode that it might be considered spoilerish. I don't think it is as it doesn't talk about anything which hasn't been in a previous episode and isn't based on any inside knowledge, and it certainly could be way off.

I don't want to put it in white because I want to know what other people think about this, but just in case:

<font color="white">
I thought about what kind of range helicopters have after watching last night also. A little Googling showed that they generally have a range of 400-600 miles. So the idea that they must be relatively close to civilization has to have something to it.

I guess we already knew this in a way, though, because the drug smugglers' plane was able to make it to the island as well. That airplane couldn't have had much more than an 800-1000 mile range either. I guess the helicopter does narrow things down a bit, though, because they would have been planning a round trip whereas the people in the plane might have been headed somewhere which took them over the island on the way.

That also reminded me of an idea that crossed my mind a long time ago that I don't think I've seen much talk of around here. Most people assume the island is somewhere in the South Pacific. There's certainly good reason to believe this, because it should be if it was going from Sydney to Los Angeles and then tried to turn back toward Fiji.

However, I'd always thought it was strange that the big plane crash happened during the day. After all, the plane left Sydney in the early afternoon and supposedly was in the air travelling east toward Los Angeles for about 8 hours. If this were the case the crash should have occurred at night.

At first I just figured it was because they wanted the crash/aftermath scene to be as dramatic as possible and shooting it during the day would just technically be easier. However, they're paying attention to details like this with Lost. So I think the fact that it crashed during the day instead of night is important.

So, again, if the plane left heading east from Sydney and was in the air for 8 hours, it should have been the time of departure + 8 hours + whatever time they gained by travelling east when they crashed. If, however, it was travelling west for some reason -- like, say, toward somewhere that a small plane leaving from somewhere in Africa with an 800-1000 mile range could have gotten to -- it would have crashed at time of departure + 8 hours - whatever time they lost by travelling west, and a late-afternoon crash could have happened.

I haven't looked into this much, but I imagine some African countries are former Portuguese colonies, so this might tie into the men at the listening station and the Portuguese version of Catch-22 as well.

<font color="black">If you read this and have some thoughts but think they're spoilerish, please PM me. Likewise, if a mod reads this and thinks it's OK please feel free to un-white it.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you don't have to put stuff like this in white. As long as your information doesn't come from contract talks, producer interviews, etc. then its not a spoiler. These are just your thoughts.

And I like them. I'm definitely going to go back and check out the timeline of the flight and crash, hadn't thought about that too much.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Costanza,

v good post and it def. doesnt need to be in white imo.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But Desmond arrived in a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

so did Rousseau (sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]

uggh, never mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the black rock, haha.

It's a good try, though, I've seen others make the same mistake.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:59 PM

After the smuggler's plane was found, I figured either:

1) the island is pretty close to Africa or
2) there's some sort of wormhole or something the teleports you there.

(Either that, or Ecko wanted the plan to be there and so it appeared)
Old 04-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Desmond singing "For it's a grand old team to play for.." would have stuck a chord with every Glaswegian out there.

I'm also sure the monastery Desmond is in is supposed to be the famous Buckfast monastery. Buckfast Tonic Wine is famous here in Scotland as the drink of choice for underage drinkers, tramps, alcoholics and hedonistic types. There's a great sentence on the label of the wine that says "The word Tonic does not imply any health giving properties".
Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the smuggler's plane was found, I figured either:

1) the island is pretty close to Africa or
2) there's some sort of wormhole or something the teleports you there.

(Either that, or Ecko wanted the plan to be there and so it appeared)

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, wasn't the ship they found the dynamite in a slaving ship?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:48 PM

Yes. It was British, too. So there's really no reason for it to be sailing toward Fiji... is there?
Old 04-19-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. It was British, too. So there's really no reason for it to be sailing toward Fiji... is there?

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread has taken a turn for the interesting.

I recall an interview a while back with the producers, where they said that the very first episode had a big clue in it that no one was seeming to pick up on. I remember watching the episode again, and not noticing anything.

But thinking back, the first episode of course includes the crash, but it also includes the scene with the pilot where he explains that they're way off course. Based on what he said, and the apparent time of day, maybe that was the clue - that we should have figured out that they couldn't have been travelling East, because it would be night by the time of the crash. I think it's a good theory.

Of course it doesn't explain why they'd fly the wrong direction in the first place.

This would also explain how they seemingly can get back and forth from Miami somewhat easily. It also might explain another reason for knocking Juliet out before the flight - she might be able to tell they're not flying west, perhaps.

Very interesting stuff.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:07 PM

However, also in the pilot episode, Charlie mentions, "Guys is this normal - day turning into night, end of the world type weather?" At that time, it seemed that day and night on the island would come and go pretty quickly/erratically. There really hasn't been any reference to that since, though.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Maybe the big clue is that the crash occurred in daylight? As was mentioned earlier, if they left Australia at 11pm, wouldn't the crash have occurred at night? Who knows..