Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Don Imus vs. Black America?

Michael Wilbon's Imus column
Old 04-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Imus' simulcast show has been permenently cancelled by MSNBC (the radio show is still on the air). This thing has so much momentum it just might take Imus off the air for longer than his two week suspension.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we've come to the point where if you make fun of anyone it's X-ist. imo that's very sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, apparently it is a crime to say something offensive. I believe freedom of speech is part of some amendment or something.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: It will come down to $.

[ QUOTE ]
jesse jackson is not the president of black people

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, in the minds of most whites and many blacks - if not most - he is the spokesperson of the black community. His voice is taken seriously for a reason. Now, it is debatable whether he has used his clout appropriately.

Personally, now that all charges are dropped against the Duke lacrosse players, I'll be waiting for a public apology from Rev. Jackson. He absolutely condemned those guys and owes them one. I don't think it'll happen.

Either way, His voice is heard and respected by many and (mostly) for good reason.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM

The first amendment doesn't apply here, sorry.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we've come to the point where if you make fun of anyone it's X-ist. imo that's very sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the language used. Imus came under fire here because he used words that are used nearly exclusively to insult blacks and women.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I will have to research how much bias and BS there is in it, if there is any...Ive never heard Hannity say anything about a group of people as a whole race...

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider doing some research on Hannity as well:

[ QUOTE ]
From the January 16 edition of ABC Radio Networks' The Sean Hannity Show:

COULTER: ...it further confirms my point that Democrats are racist, and they're just stunned to find a black man who can walk and talk. And, you know, not being a racist, I'm not really that impressed with a black man who can walk and talk. I knew that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you imagine Sean would contradict his good friend on this?

Or this: Sean questions Obama's afro-centrism

[ QUOTE ]
Hannity selectively excerpted interview with Obama's pastor in order to paint him as "separatist"
On the March 20 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Fox News host Sean Hannity repeated allegations that Trinity Church of Christ -- of which Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) is a member -- is "separatist." Specifically, Hannity claimed that he "discovered" via the church's website "that the pastor of the church has very Afro-centric and separatist views."

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, if you don't understand how this is racism, you should consider doing some research on that as well. Consider, would Sean be "concerned" if Giuliani belonged to an organization that promoted Italian values? Would he paint it as "separatist" and "italo-centric"? If not, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The coulter comment I dont even get. That isnt racist, and I happen to agree with it. One big problem that I have with the liberal party is that keep saying they are the champion of minorities. Tell me how a bunch of rich white people, most of which think that all these "poor minorities" dont have the ability to do anythign w/o help can be anyhwere near in touch with the general population. Added to the facat that most of the values (family, religion) held by a lot of minorities (catholic mexicans imparticular) line up with the conservatives much much more than they do w/ the "social progressive" douche bags.

As far as teh Trinity Church, Barrack Obama himself denounced and furthered himself from the comments made by the pastor due the the exact reasons hannity stated.

Im personally not a big fan of hannity or any of the far right pundits, but you [censored] liberals who think they are the end all and be all of everything because they NEVER have to prove anything, or actually come up with a plan for anything, and hope that their snootiness and douche baggery should be enough for us "uneducated hicks" are the real problem.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 PM

Applejuicekid,
If you only saw clips of the press conference I don't think you would take what I did from it. You have to hear the whole press conference to really get a good idea of the coach's and players' perspective.
I've been very impressed with the coach's comments both at the press conference and in interviews. Rarely on television are non-celebrities allowed to address serious issues at length.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe freedom of speech is part of some amendment or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a lot of ppl just not understand the first amendment, or do they just pretend no to?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Amulet,

If you have some racists quotes from Hannity or O'Reily, please provide them. Otherwise, you shouldn't stereotype people...any people.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not going to attempt to provide any proof, but does anybody believe that hannity/o'riley/coulter/whoever else aren't racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely believe that neither Hannity nor Coulter nor Malkin are racist. I don't like O'Reilly and don't watch him and so can't say.
Closed Thread