Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What cardrooms comes to mind when you think B&M
I have small local mini-cardrooms in my state 30 29.70%
My buddy vinnie or Guido's house 1 0.99%
Tropicana,Sands,Taj Mahal 11 10.89%
Wynn, Mirage, Bellagio 54 53.47%
Oldschool Binions 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Question 18

#18: UTG is a "calling station" -- you want to isolate him. I'd raise at LEAST to $2,300 (it's a pot-sized raise) -- possibly more if I thought he would call more than that and the MP player would fold after he called.

#19: Very deep stacks, lots of ways to move this guy off the best hand. Knowing his cards, and him knowing you know his cards, it should be relatively easy. Call with any 2, never re-raise preflop (not even with AA -- your cards don't matter now).
Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Question 20

5/10 NL Cash Game. 9 handed. Everyone has about $1,000.

You raise to $40 UTG with: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It is folded to the expert player in the SB, who calls. BB folds and you take a flop heads up.

Flop is: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM

It seems like the MP that calls is seeing a flop with the plan of fleecing call station if he hits. Raise to 1600 to make sure we don't blow off Calling Station (since we'll be able to get the rest of his money in later anyway) while announcing to the cold-caller that we have a hand and he should get out of our way.

And if he (cold-caller) RRAI to try to claim the sucker, who cares?, we have Aces.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 PM

Am I correct in understanding that Q20 is a raise all-in or fold situation on the flop, and due to the stack size, calling the $650 bet would only delay the inevitable?

I voted raise all-in. Other than folding to the reraise, it would seem inevitable that both stacks are going to get into the pot, so it may as well be with you driving the betting. If the op was trying to steal based on your tight image, maybe he'll fold. If he slowplayed a higher pair or flopped a big hand, you'll get called and be way behind. But if you fold here, you'll invite other attempts to bluff you out of pots.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 PM

I fold on Question 20. Your bascially risking your stack because you think your opponent is bluffing. Not worth it in my opinion.

I cant see an expert player donk re-raise with air here.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM

I also voted to fold. I just can't to think of a hand that JJ beats that would play that way.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like the MP that calls is seeing a flop with the plan of fleecing call station if he hits. Raise to 1600 to make sure we don't blow off Calling Station (since we'll be able to get the rest of his money in later anyway) while announcing to the cold-caller that we have a hand and he should get out of our way.

[/ QUOTE ]

After UTG calls, MP will be getting almost 4:1 pot odds with up to almost 40:1 potential implied odds. He's not going to fold for that small of a raise. He's going to call almost always. If UTG is a calling station, we're probably not going to scare him out with a big PF raise. We want MP out of the hand, but we want UTG to call. I think $2,300 should work.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After UTG calls, MP will be getting almost 4:1 pot odds with up to almost 40:1 potential implied odds. He's not going to fold for that small of a raise. He's going to call almost always. If UTG is a calling station, we're probably not going to scare him out with a big PF raise. We want MP out of the hand, but we want UTG to call. I think $2,300 should work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha, I didn't consider the implied odds I was offering. Goo point, Kip.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also voted to fold. I just can't to think of a hand that JJ beats that would play that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that made me choose RRAI is that SB is an "expert." So this could be a meta-game thing. Our image is TAG, so we're going to c-bet the flop. He's expecting this. AK/AQ is a big part of our range here, which is a total whiff. He leads so that we'll make our continued show of strength, which we'll probably do on that flop from position regardless of how he plays it. I think he leads small with the intention of throwing in that third bet to make us fold anything other than big pairs. I think the shove is enough to convince him we actually have the big pair.

Besides, Given our "very-tight" range PF, he's going to push AA, KK, but maybe not QQ. If he doesn't push those PF, then he's not going to push them now because nothing's changed. I feel he has a mid PP here which he's testing to see if they're good. If he has TT, we're getting stacked.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that made me choose RRAI is that SB is an "expert." So this could be a meta-game thing. Our image is TAG, so we're going to c-bet the flop. He's expecting this. AK/AQ is a big part of our range here, which is a total whiff. He leads so that we'll make our continued show of strength, which we'll probably do on that flop from position regardless of how he plays it. I think he leads small with the intention of throwing in that third bet to make us fold anything other than big pairs. I think the shove is enough to convince him we actually have the big pair.

Besides, Given our "very-tight" range PF, he's going to push AA, KK, but maybe not QQ. If he doesn't push those PF, then he's not going to push them now because nothing's changed. I feel he has a mid PP here which he's testing to see if they're good. If he has TT, we're getting stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line, very nice write up