Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Learning to eat everything

[ QUOTE ]
I like a lot of foods but I have this feeling that I will never like mushrooms. The taste and texture just grosses the hell outta me. I tried a stuffed mushroom and gagged. The only times when I could stomach mushrooms was they were drenched in the juices from the steak I ordered. I haven't seen too many mushroom haters yet, but I'm curious how you guys prefer to eat your mushrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you hate raw or cooked mushrooms? I know people who love one and not the other. The mushroom to start with is button mushrooms, since they don't have a lot of flavor by itself. When cooked, they shrink a lot, giving off a lot of moisture, and then will soak up any liquid. My mushrooms are usually just cooked in some olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. If I'm cooking a steak, I'll put the mushrooms in the pan I cooked the steak in with oil and butter.

Creminis, portabellas, oysters, shitakes - these are the mushrooms I love. More flavor, more texture.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM

Grilled portabellas are so awesome.
I have to have them whenever I grill steaks now.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM

i agree completely... cottage cheese is def. one of those things not matter how many times i try, i will never enjoy..
Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
f,

"Tripe/gristle, weird organs such as tongue/liver"

I just recently had tripe at a nice Italian place (http://www.zuppa-sf.com/) where they had it as an app special. It was pretty tasty.

For liver, of course you can go with foie gras, which is just delicious. But also try out a basic pate on some crackers. I was very put off by the very strong liver taste from having it as a kid, but there are definitely some very tasty things with a liver base.

Most of the other stuff, you're in the same boat as me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you what's freakin great--go to the best Jewish deli you can find, and get some chopped chicken liver on a corned beef sandwich on rye bread with sliced onion.

I have never cared for any sort of liver, tongue, etc., but one day, sitting at the Rye Ridge Deli in Stamford, CT., the spirit moved me to order the sandwich described above...and I was hooked for life.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 PM

i refuse to eat bananas and cantaloupe. not only is this weird in and of itself, it's even more strange if you consider that i eat practically everything else.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 PM

The only thing I've ever refused to eat is Balut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut

I don't think I would eat dog or cat or anything like that, but if I ever did, they probably wouldn't tell me before I ate it. Balut though, no way.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I've ever refused to eat is Balut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I can honestly say that I have no idea how I would react if I was ever served this. I'm curious to find out. I do wonder how it tastes though.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:59 PM

An easy way to eat shellfish is go to a good chinese seafood restaurant. 5 spice dungeoness crab, lobster with ginger and scallions, clams cooked with black bean sauce. Yummy!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:21 PM

EL D -

I'm getting ready to read this thread with much anticipation...but I want to add my thoughts before.

Food is just like music. Everyone has tastes which vary dependant on mood, etc...

Almost any type of either is good - when it is created by the right people. For instance, someone may not be into country music - but when introduced to Johnny Cash, they come around. There are so many examples from here.

I came to this analogy when a very good chef made me an asparagus soup a couple years ago. I had always hated asparagus, yet that soup was damn good. It was shocking...

Now, whenever I'm in a very nice place - I try things that I haven't had or have not liked in the past. I almost always come away with an appreciation for them.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:02 AM

best $7 i ever spent