Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Visiting Europe for a month this summer

[ QUOTE ]
It's getting a bit messy, so don't really know what to comment/which advice to give. Geneva, really a [censored] city as in city for partying, staying in hotel, going to nice places, also a lot of people only speak French and people are generally arrogant and it is dirty. But there are some informative things (maybe not what you want to do in your holiday). You can visit the UN headquarter or the Red Cross headquarter or CERN and get good info about a lot of stuff. It is also a great base for a road trip part of the journey if you like nature, if you head southwest you drive into some of the most beautiful parts of Europe in France. It is nice in winter for skiing, but it is more beautiful in summer, absolutely fantastic. Again a matter of taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely loved Geneva and took a trip to Lausanne but it definitely doesn't seem like something most people would want to go to. Hard to get by without speaking French and it is very dirty. I'd recommend Zurich over Geneva if you really feel the need to go to Switzerland. Much better for partying.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 PM

In Switzerland, the Thermen in Vals (near Chur, quite a hassle to get there) is maybe the most beautiful place you can visit. The bathing house is one of the most intriguing recent pieces of architecture in Europe, set in a wonderful small village deep in the Alps. Would be a perfect place to refresh yourselves for a day or two, even though I doubt it would fit well into any itinerary.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:39 AM

i think you should go to europe forever because no one here like you.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM

Ok, new plan. Instead of viewing the trip as four weeks, I guess I'm going to have to plan it for only 4k (including the flight there). Therefore, the trip may be closer to three weeks depending on how expensive things are.

I did a rough calculation of flights yesterday and it came to $290 for London>Barcelona>Madrid>Paris>Rome> Berlin>Dublin (not counting the train that will be used to get from Barcelona to Madrid. Using the hostel numbers from the OP, it seems that accomodations will run approximately $30 per person per day. All in all, it will be roughly 1000 for intra europe travel and accommodations.

Assuming the flight to Europe costs 1k, that leaves me with 2k for food, museum entraces, incidentals etc. I think we are planning on going out to one fairly nice restaurant per country and trying to eat decently but cheaply the rest of the trip. Any recommendations on how much we should expect to pay in food costs on a per day basis? How about museum entrances and the like? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated because the 4k total cap is now more of a consideration rather than staying for a set amount of time.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:27 PM

I'd say $50 per day for food is close to correct unless you are eating the cheapest thing you can find at every possible meal. If you are going out every night to a decent place, add more. This is mostly for like cafe food and similar.

Drinks are going to kill you though. I'd be wary of this.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 AM

What are opinions on Monaco? Worth spending a day in?

I'm doing 4.5 months in Europe, but I'm seeing some rugby world cup matches at the end of the trip, which means I need to have a schedule in place so I can make a specific city on a specific date so I don't miss them. Right now, it looks like I can do an overnight train from Venice to Monaco, spend the day in Monaco, then do an overnight train from Monaco to Barcelona. Or I could skip Monaco and just fly from Venice to Barcelona for $60 and give myself an extra night in Barcelona (I already have 3 full days, 2 nights planned for Barcelona). Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 AM

How did you come up with the 100-200 dollars of museum entrances per city? Is this a very rough estimate or is there no chance we can really do it any cheaper?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you come up with the 100-200 dollars of museum entrances per city? Is this a very rough estimate or is there no chance we can really do it any cheaper?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the estimate we had for museum entrances, transport to/from the airport, and public transit within a city. Those were the exact prices for Paris ($100) and London ($200).
Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 AM

SoCal,

Monaco is awesome. Check out all the topless MILFs on beach.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:30 AM

If I had two days to spend in Munich or Vienna, which do you guys think is better?