Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Things OOT has taught me/DC area info/good info to know.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
variety of restaurants in DC is poor

[/ QUOTE ]

Washington is the only city I've ever lived in (I grew up in rural Vermont). Is the above really true? It seems like we have all kinds of different cuisines here.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not true at all.

D.C. has a really wide range of places, but you have to go looking further than Georgetown. The downtown area has some good places, but if you're willing to look around you'll find just about anything. Small neighborhoods have cheaper and more diverse places (try Mount Pleasant for some good Salvadorean food, for instance).

Overall, really, D.C. is a great restaurant town. It has a lot of good chefs and a few who are among the best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still stand by my statement. I think DC proper is pretty weak, but the burbs make up for it. That's where the real variety is located in DC area. This is the opposite of most bigger cities.

I don't care for 'famous' chefs and however they promote themselves as 'best'.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:12 PM

apparently rosa mexicano, one of my favorite restaurants, now has a DC location.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Some cool artsy / counter culture stuff this weekend

This Saturday, there's going to be a cool duo of events in and around Arlington. I thought I'd toss some info in this thread as we have a fair number of D.C. peeps, it seems.

Flux - Art Sensory Overload & D.C. Counter Culture Festival

Art raffles, fire dancing, interactive art, bands, booze, cool stuff you can't buy in a store, etc. Should be pretty awesome. I don't know if I can get a "sup bro?" shirt made in time, but if I do, I'll certainly be easy to find.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
variety of restaurants in DC is poor

[/ QUOTE ]

Washington is the only city I've ever lived in (I grew up in rural Vermont). Is the above really true? It seems like we have all kinds of different cuisines here.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not true at all.

D.C. has a really wide range of places, but you have to go looking further than Georgetown. The downtown area has some good places, but if you're willing to look around you'll find just about anything. Small neighborhoods have cheaper and more diverse places (try Mount Pleasant for some good Salvadorean food, for instance).

Overall, really, D.C. is a great restaurant town. It has a lot of good chefs and a few who are among the best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still stand by my statement. I think DC proper is pretty weak, but the burbs make up for it. That's where the real variety is located in DC area. This is the opposite of most bigger cities.

I don't care for 'famous' chefs and however they promote themselves as 'best'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? And I mean that seriously - I love food and eating well and think D.C. is a great town, and absolutely feel the best restaurants are in the District. So I almost feel like you're joking...

Citronelle
Obelisk
Palena
ZenGo
Pasta Mia
Cashions Eat Place
Komi
Astor
Vaces Pizza
2 Amys

That's 10 restaurants that run the gamut from 4-star celebrity chef to a family owned pasta place and a takeout pizza joint that sells by the slice.

And honestly, those are places where I can say I was surprised - where the food was compelling, the meal an "experience" and the value was right. There are many, many more 3-star-ish places that are solid, day in and day out.

This is probably a pointless debate since it comes down to taste and preference and so on. But I just want to reiterate that D.C. does have phenomenal spots for any budget.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Order the pork & beans at Creme and thank me later. I could have sworn they were no longer open for anything but dinner..

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to Creme for brunch again, but still no dinner. I need to get on that.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 AM

RIP, dude
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
basically just around Bishop Ireton

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go to school there? If so, what year did you graduate?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Creme Cafe on U at 13th has some fantastic "upscaled" soul food. The pork and beans, oh my goodness the pork and beans. Go there immediately, trust old chopstick on this one. Actually, tell me when you are going and I'll join you, I still haven't tried the coconut cake yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. Creme is great. Good for brunch, too.

Other quick DC faves:

Bars: Saint Ex, Atomic Billiards, Reef, Penn Ave Pour House, Buffalo Billiards

Restaurants: Spices (Cleveland Park), Thai Chili (Chinatown), Ben's Chili Bowl (U Street), Cafe Atlantico, Starfish Cafe

Clubs: I'm a little old for these now, but I always liked Crush and Chief Ikes. Stay away from Heaven and Hell.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Some cool artsy / counter culture stuff this weekend

[ QUOTE ]
This Saturday, there's going to be a cool duo of events in and around Arlington. I thought I'd toss some info in this thread as we have a fair number of D.C. peeps, it seems.

Flux - Art Sensory Overload & D.C. Counter Culture Festival

Art raffles, fire dancing, interactive art, bands, booze, cool stuff you can't buy in a store, etc. Should be pretty awesome. I don't know if I can get a "sup bro?" shirt made in time, but if I do, I'll certainly be easy to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool stuff guy. I may make it out there for the afternoon. That website is familiar, I think my friend has some webcomics on it...Do you know any of those people?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Clubs: I'm a little old for these now, but I always liked Crush and Chief Ikes. Stay away from Heaven and Hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crush is closed now, it reopened as Nolans.