Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Ask me about going into people\'s homes to sell them knives.

[ QUOTE ]
RDH,

Not to the specific knives, but to the types they use. Do you think many chefs randomly decide to switch from a chef knife to a santoku or nikkiri style knife?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, yeah. About a year and a half out of the CIA, my friend called me up all excited about some expensive-as-hell Japanese knives he was going to get and how he was going to use it all the time. I am positive he doesn't own any Cutco knives, and neither does his gf, also a pro chef.

None of your arguments really make sense. A cut is a cut is a cut. There's no difference between you butterflying a shrimp and a pro chef doing it, when it comes to the knives. The only difference is that the chef is going to be slicing up vegetables for an hour straight, not five minutes, and so being able to hold an edge is much more important to the chef than it is to you. So why wouldn't they use Cutco, if nothing holds an edge like Cutco? Maybe CSC can show up and lay some knowledge on us all.

I'm not trying to be too harsh, but it really sounds like you've bought into Cutco's pitch more than the facts would dictate.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Oh snap folks! Cutco for the masses!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being able to sharpen your own knives is a difficult and time consuming skill. And I, as well, like the fact I can sharpen my Cutco whenever I want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, are Cutcos easier to sharpen than other knives or something?

I don't sharpen my own knives. There's a cookware store down the street that does it for $1-2/knife while I wait, or sometimes in an hour or two if they're busy. Aside from doing it myself, I don't see how anything could be more convenient than that.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:44 AM

RDH,

I am assuming you don't know a ton about Cutco or these explain themselves. First off Cutco's guarantee does not apply to commercial uses (forgot to mention that earlier). And I do understand a cut is a cut is a cut. But who is more efficient at it? You average homemaker or a pro chef?

The down time for a Chef on his time is much more important as well. He places a high value on being able to sharpen his own knife. Some also don't like the grip as they are just familiar with a bolster.

I don't really understand whats so hard to get. Maybe a golf club analogy would work. If we took an average person Tiger's clubs they'd shoot much much worse than avg. maybe 5-8 shots... Because they aren't suited for the task.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it make more sense to the company to sell them at a reduced price in stores rather than high pressure sales situations if indeed these were some of the best knives to buy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really believe that selling the knives in stores would reduce the price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyler,

How about you provide a rational explanation to the contrary?

I know it goes against the standard "turn a question around and project a higher authority/knowledge" strategy that the mlm'ers groomed into you but OOT isn't exactly your dear aunt Mary's living room.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, since when is using a middleman cheaper? Don't you think department stores jack up prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I know that they operate on tiny margins with huge variances by season and department.

[ QUOTE ]

Say I want to buy my father a $50 tie at Macy's. How much do you think that cost to make? How much do you think it would cost to buy directly from the manufacturer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you did not understand the phrase "rational argument". What we have here is some random, convoluted question about ties. How the [censored] do I know what an imaginary tie cost to make or what the equally imaginary manufacturer wants at wholesale?

I do know Macy's doesn't pull 50% margins. I do know Macy's doesn't provide such margins to its "middlemen". I do know that Macy's parent Federated Stores is a beast in the industry and gets terms it likes. What do you know?

J

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Ties were just an example. If you buy anything from a store it is going to be heavily marked up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heavily relative to the 50%+ paid by your MLM friends? You keep avoiding any real arguments, all I hear are generalizations unsupported by any rational thought.

[ QUOTE ]

How do you think Macy's pays for its lease, electricity bill, employees, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, relatively small margins on its huge volumes of sales? How does Walmart which has the biggest stores and most employees pay its leases, electricity, and employees? Big markups?

J
Old 12-13-2006, 02:46 AM

jaydub,

Wow. Profit margins and markups are not the same thing. You're lack of knowledge on this topic is stunning as it is economic. You think that they are buying crap from China for 2.00 and putting it on the shelf for 2.06?!? More like 1.00 and selling it for 2.00
Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 AM

Thremp,

I have a vague, high level understanding of the difference. Care to explain the applicability? Care to answer any of my dozen open questions or do you prefer to make up questions to which you have scripted answers and pretend I asked?

J
Old 12-13-2006, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

I have a vague, high level understanding of the difference. Care to explain the applicability? Care to answer any of my dozen open questions or do you prefer to make up questions to which you have scripted answers and pretend I asked?

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is by far the simplest explanation. Cutco/Wusthof/Henckels/Global/Etc. all cost around the same price to make. They all sell for the same price. Do you see why?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is by far the simplest explanation. Cutco/Wusthof/Henckels/Global/Etc. all cost around the same price to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that really really unlikely. Do you see why?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tyler, my question to you is simply this: do you feel that you have betrayed the trust of someone close to you for a small monetary reward and how deep is the regret?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never felt that I betrayed someone. I honestly felt I was doing them a favor by showing and giving them the opportunity to buy the best cutlery in the world.

In my first month I showed CUTCO to an older woman who was not really a qualified customer and when she learned it was CUTCO she went into the kitchen and got her set from the 1950s and it took her a long while to tell me it was the best thing she had ever purchased. She bought two sets for her grandchildren from me and experiences like that put to rest any ethical issues I had with the position.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're starting to scare me.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha agreed