Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: New Fight Question

[ QUOTE ]
"I read somewhere that it culminates in something like a 50-mile run with a 40-lb. backpack on or something crazy like that. "

this is what im talking about this kind of endurance is not very useful in a caged fight. it is however highly useful if you might have to hike several miles before the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point.

Let's not forget, though, that in the old days of boxing, fighters fought bare knuckle and there was no limit on the number of rounds. Some matches lasted over 30 rounds. If the fighters were rather evenly matched in other aspects and no one landed a lucky blow and the match dragged on, the guy with the most endurance would likely win. So SEAL endurance-type training could help a lot if the match drags on a long time. Granted most matches won't, but some could. Take a ground position where neither fighter is really able to accomplish much and they stay locked a long time struggling. Endurance could become a determining factor.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Navy SEAL. It's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the group were all just modestly skilled, perhaps this wouldn't be the correct response. But since you prefaced it as him being the "world's most elite Navy Seal as far as hand to hand combat is concerned", it's a no-brainer.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also Guy Metzger, a average ufc fighter, beat up multiple navy seals at a bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were they the worlds most skilled in hand to hand combat as far as Navy Seals go? As I said above, if said fighters are "average" in quality as you mentioned Guy was, the outcome is entirely different.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:24 PM

as for what the military guy may know that the ufc guy doesn't: no holds barred moves. I came across an old army hand-to-hand manual. it had long chapters on different ways to put your fingers into someone's face and rip it apart. would they ever get a chance to try that? I don't know. would the ufc guy think of trying the same thing himself? seems likely. so I have no idea if it would be a big factor. but it is a possible factor. and this is what "shoot" fighting is supposed to refer to traditionally I think (or catch-as-catch can). I didn't look at the link above, but my understanding is that the main part of shoot fighting was supposed to be small joint manipulation--fingers, knee caps etc--eye gouging, fish hooking, pressure points, etc. in a word, dirty fighting. but again, the ufc guy isn't going to refrain from trying the same himself. though he's less practiced in it.,
Old 12-02-2006, 01:28 PM

The only thing truly missing from this thread was Jack Bauer. For those who don't know, he led a six man team into Kosovo. Bauer was the only one who survived. He knows techniques that could make an Ultimate Fighting Champ wet himself.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:40 PM

Street fighter or Navy Seal not even close, assuming no rules. If the fight includes a ref with any kind of rules UFC and martial arts are the best bet.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Surely SEAL's are some of the sickest motherfkcures on the planet, but they mostly kill people with guns. Not sure why everybody is so confident they would be effective hand-to-hand vs. people who have devoted their entire lives to it.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:58 PM

I wonder how the shaolin monk dudes would perform in these matchups, in the lighter weight classes ?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:59 PM

I think many in this thread are giving way too much credit to military training. I knew a guy a few years ago who was a marine sniper. This guy could flat out shoot better than you can believe from ridiculous distances. He said he trained with the olympic guys once and it wasnt even close. They kicked his ass.
The point it when you only train to do one thing you are going to be better at it than those who train to do other things. The SEAL would not stand a chance against someone like Fedor. He would have to get really lucky to win.

Its the MMA fighter by a mile
Old 12-02-2006, 02:10 PM

In a paint ball match 5 vs 5 with poison darts, I like the seals.
In a close ring I like the UFC fighter or martial arts expert. A larger ring would favor the martial arts expert.