Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Ask Mrs. Utah About Birthin\' Babies

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a side note I have delivered many women who were circumscised as children and after they deliver want the doctors to sew them shut again.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait what??? isn't female circumcision removing the clitoris? either way this sounds awful

[/ QUOTE ]

There are levels of female circumcision...also called female genital mutilation(FGM)
type 1-removal of part or all of the clitoris
type 2-removal of the clitoris and part or all of labia minora
type 3-removal of part or all of external genitalia with stitching vaginal opening
type 4-any of the above procedure and introducing corrosive substances/herbs into the vagina that cause bleeding or for the purpose of tightening it.

According to the World Health Oranization, the majority(80%) of FGM are the removal of the clitoris and labia minora.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have seen a lot done in the hospital and talked to many of the pediatricians and a lot agree that when the babies cry during the procedure it has more to do with being immobilized with their legs straightened. Babies are used to being curled up and get pretty upset when unwrapped even for a phyical assessment or diaper change. Certainly it stings-babies feel pain, but the seem to react more to positioning than the procedure itself.

When I have worked in the nursery and change diapers and dressings on fresh circs, the reaction from the baby is no worse than the girls or uncircumcised boys(of whom are rare-most get circs) Most just hate to be messed with and settle pretty quickly when rewrapped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really quickly wanted to add something else here. This last weekend I worked, (dayshifts, something I very rarely do) but was around to assist on a couple of circs.(Its been a while). Anyway the babies got local anesthestic and cried occasionally during the procedure, but during the procedure I was holding a pacifier in their mouths during the procedure and all did fine, minimal fussing, usually sucking away on the pacifier. One did bleed a little more than expected but stopped quickly with a small foam dressing.

Babies in pain cry non stop. Anyone ever have a child with colic knows what I am talking about. These babies settled quicky, and fell asleep after being wrapped up.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:24 PM

What exactly is Rh - ?? Can it be harmful to the baby during and after the pregnancy??

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is Rh - ?? Can it be harmful to the baby during and after the pregnancy??

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rh or Rhesus factor is a protein that some people have, (Rh+ or not Rh-) in their blood. It is one of the factor used to determine blood type.

It becomes an issue for a pregnant woman if she has a negative blood type and the father of the baby is positive blood type because there is a chance that the baby will be positive blood type.

There is a good chance that some of the baby's blood will mix with mom's blood and mom's body will react if the baby is positive(or also called Rh D) Her body will make antibodies to the RhD factor. These antibodies can cross the placenta and destroy the red blood cells of the unborn baby. Or she will form the antibodies and it may not be an issue for the baby she is carrying but will affect subsequent pregnancies if the babies are positive blood type.
The babies will develop hemolytic anemia. It can be mild in the form of jaundice after birth to severe and the baby will need transfusions. Babies can die in utero if too much of their blood is destroyed.

Mom's blood is generally tested prenatally. Dad can be tested and if he is negative then no treatment is necessary. Or mom will get an injection od Rhogam at 28 weeks and after the baby's blood is typed after deliery and its positive. The second injection os given within 72 ours after delivery.(or miscarriage, abortion, or amniocentesis)
The Rhogam is the Rh-immune globulin contains antibodies to the Rh D factor. These antibodies will destroy any red blood cells from the baby that have entered your blood. You will not have a chance to form your own antibodies to the Rh D factor. If you receive the injection at 28 weeks and after delivery, sensitization will be prevented and Rh incompatibility should not be a problem during subsequent pregnancies.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Mrs U.

My wife just got back her results for the Glucose Tolerance Test. Anything lower than 140 is considered passing. She failed with a 167.

Not knowing the scale of scoring, I have no idea if she failed by a little or a lot. I also don't know how serious this may be. I've just spent some time searching online about it, and I'm confused as to whether or not to be alarmed.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also
Why is there a bottle of Berenger white zin next to a glass that clearly does not contain Berenger white zin???
mmmmm, scallops.....
Old 11-13-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mrs U.

My wife just got back her results for the Glucose Tolerance Test. Anything lower than 140 is considered passing. She failed with a 167.

Not knowing the scale of scoring, I have no idea if she failed by a little or a lot. I also don't know how serious this may be. I've just spent some time searching online about it, and I'm confused as to whether or not to be alarmed.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also
Why is there a bottle of Berenger white zin next to a glass that clearly does not contain Berenger white zin???
mmmmm, scallops.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi D.,

I am assuming that she had the Glucse Tolerance Screen, which many women fail so I am going to also assume (I know not always good to assume) that she will be scheduled to have a Glucose Tolerance Test, which is used to diagnose Gestational Diabetes.

The Test will look at how she metabolizes glucose over a longer period of time, typically 3 hours. If she "fails' this test then she will be treated as having Gestational Diabetes. Some women are put on a diabteic diet and will have to test their blood sugar several times a day. Some women will have to go on insulin to control their diabetes. Good news is after delivery the diabetes usually resolves, but moms will have to be checked to make sure of this. If she has gestational diabetes, she will be at higher risk of developing Type II diabetes later in life.

If she is dx with GDM(gestational diabetes) she will have to manage her diabetes. The most common issues for a pt with with GDM is that macrosomia, or large babies. The concern is that the baby may get too large to deliver vaginally. These babies tend to get very large across the shoulders which can make delivery more tricky. Also after delivery the baby's blood sugar may drop rapidly so these babies will have to have their blood sugar checked 1,2 and 4 hours after deliver, sometimes more frequently if blood sugar drops.

Moms with GDM are also at increased risk for preeclampsia.

At this point I would not get too worried. She will be retested and you will go from there. If she has GDM it can be controlled and moms deliver safely. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok....about the White Zin. LOL!

I just put that bottle there while setting up the shot and poured some chardonay that I was cooking with. I did not intend to post a far shot as I like to zoom in on the food, so I did not think the wine bottle would even make it in. I was being a little lazy and sloppy, note the forks and knife/spoon are reversed! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Ah well....I use the fact that I had the flu all weekend as my excuse...I was delirious!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is cutting the cord such a big deal?
Are there cheerleaders and fireworks or something? Perhaps a big banner & confetti???
I just don't get all the hooplah... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta ask, did ya cut that cord? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is cutting the cord such a big deal?
Are there cheerleaders and fireworks or something? Perhaps a big banner & confetti???
I just don't get all the hooplah... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta ask, did ya cut that cord? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Since there was maconium in the amniotic fluid, they didn't give me the option. They had to clamp it off, cut it, and clean her up real fast to keep it out of her lungs and stuff.

I would have loved to though.

Edit: Not sure what I'm going to do with this banner & confetti....
Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 AM

ah well, maybe next time, eh pops?

Time for an undertitle change now? 'I'm the Daddy'?