Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Re: LOL at my dorm

[ QUOTE ]
Im getting an HD-DVR and dirct tv installed tomorrow (in the pm whatever that means). Probably gonna get League Pass dont really know yet; is it worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth it? Hell I couldn't do without it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When they hook up the DVR, do the best you can to get dual tuner (where they run 2 cables to the dish instead of just one, although you may not have that capability in a dorm, not sure), otherwise you will only be able to record on one channel at a time (i.e. only record programs you're watching), so you really don't get the full functionality out of it.

Also, you don't need a land-based phone line always hooked up, but you will need it ONCE, for the initial setup of the HD/DVR box...if you don't have one, you can take the box to a friend's house or somewhere and do it there.

BTW...how can you get DirecTV at all in a dorm?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im getting an HD-DVR and dirct tv installed tomorrow (in the pm whatever that means). Probably gonna get League Pass dont really know yet; is it worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth it? Hell I couldn't do without it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When they hook up the DVR, do the best you can to get dual tuner (where they run 2 cables to the dish instead of just one, although you may not have that capability in a dorm, not sure), otherwise you will only be able to record on one channel at a time (i.e. only record programs you're watching), so you really don't get the full functionality out of it.

Also, you don't need a land-based phone line always hooked up, but you will need it ONCE, for the initial setup of the HD/DVR box...if you don't have one, you can take the box to a friend's house or somewhere and do it there.

BTW...how can you get DirecTV at all in a dorm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im having the dish put on a wooden stake outside...and the wires run into my window...only way they would clear it.

Edited I got the insurance for an extra 5 a month so if someone jacks my dish...they wont theres like 50 million cameras and everyone loves me.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
everyone loves me

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh well that's convenient. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just saw that you play 50nl.. which means your parents probably paid for this [censored]. you're totally awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

i sometimes see this clown at 200nl, he sucks, obv his parents are loaded, let the hateration continue
Old 08-07-2006, 02:17 AM

standard.

edit - get a mirror above your bet, then its standard.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:18 AM

[quote My parents pay for food, gas, rent and school.

[/ QUOTE ]

nething else?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well that's interesting, I personally don't approve of your motive for not trying it. I believe that you should try everything, and not doing something because of your parents seems close minded. I think you should experience everything before you dismiss it. And you could eventually try alcohol in a year. I’m not even advocating that alcohol is a great thing, I find it to be kind of stupid, personally I’m too into exercise to like alcohol. And I go to UCSB, so having a semi-sober life is not easy. But I still gave alcohol a whirl, along with some other stuff. Life’s about experiences, don’t let them pass you by because of other people, or money. However, if you truly have no interest in drinking then more power to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I think you should try it. Don't be closed-minded. You should try everything. I think it's stupid though. But I tried it anyway. Don't let this experience pass you by, no matter what. But if you just don't wanna try it, that's great!"

I hope your other 2 posts were better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Drinking and doing drugs is against the law. If me not wanting to openly and knowingly break the law so I can get [censored] up is closed minded then ok.

I know this is an extreme example but why dont you go murder some people or rob a bank. Dont knock it till you try it.

To me not drinking until the age of 21 is just like not doing coke at any age. You can die from ODing on them and the penalty for small amounts of coke is not that much worse than an MIP. I dont know I am enjoying my life immensely. I have a great GF and an unsmall poker income. What could drinking possibly bring to the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. First off, that was really clever about the 2 posts. I suppose you are more intelligent, and experienced because of your 1200+ posts on a poker forum. Please, go get some more cute graphics and aggrandize that forum rep. Hope you didn’t waste too much time looking for that gem.

I will agree with you the try everything was extreme. “Everything” is too much of an extreme, extreme points of view are far too easy to knock over, as you’ve demonstrated.

Let me try and rephrase what I am trying to say, I am very tired, both now and when I wrote my other posts.

First, I guess my language was vague, which was my fault (I’m not being sarcastic). When I said I’m not advocating that alcohol is a great thing, I meant to say that the OP doesn’t have to try alcohol because it is a great thing in my opinion. In fact, I’m not trying to say that the OP should try alcohol, I’m arguing more against the POV. And that POV is the close mindedness. Both you and OP seem to have a problem with me calling it close mindedness, but really if you point blank refuse any experience based on the fact that it is unlawful or against your parent’s rules, the you are making an extreme decision. That mentality can led to problems:

Since the OP liked extreme examples:

In Germany, during WWII, Hitler told the German’s to murder millions of Jews. This action was not only lawful, but sanctioned by the government.

In 1770s a group of American’s defied the British government, and wrote the Deceleration of Independence. Would life be better if they had simply been complacent and just followed the laws?

I could go on but you get the point.

So I think the take home point of all this is that: yes, laws and rules are good, they keep us safe, they keep the trains running on time. However, blindly following rules, esp. because it is profitable, is dangerous. Follow rules, but ask yourself whether you are following the rule because it is moral/safe or simply because it’s a rule.

With regard to drinking, I personally didn’t think that the 21 year old drinking age is realistic or necessary. I felt that I could make the educated choice to start drinking at 17, and so far, no problems. The drinking law is draconian, in Europe alcohol is enjoyed responsibly at a much younger age. The child is brought up to view the alcohol as less of a taboo, as a result they have less of propensity to go over board when they finally come in contact with it. The statistics have indicated that they have less problems with teenage alcoholism and related problems.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Drinking and doing drugs is against the law. If me not wanting to openly and knowingly break the law so I can get [censored] up is closed minded then ok.

I know this is an extreme example but why dont you go murder some people or rob a bank. Dont knock it till you try it.

To me not drinking until the age of 21 is just like not doing coke at any age. You can die from ODing on them and the penalty for small amounts of coke is not that much worse than an MIP. I dont know I am enjoying my life immensely. I have a great GF and an unsmall poker income. What could drinking possibly bring to the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 AM

"I have my hand and a brand new bottle of Jergen's, what could vagina possibly bring to the table?"