Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: 10 Biggest Songs Of The Past Ten Years

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking TRL with carson daly in that dark studio that was just him playing video, I'm talking TRL after they moved to time square new years of 99. Since then pretty much any major pop album that comes out makes sure they can make an appearance on TRL that week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure this is all true.

But, my point was this: Im VERY into music, and I have no way of knowing if what you just said was true without looking it up, because Ive never seen the show.

Im not denying that TRL has a huge impact on what the people who watch TRL like in music. Im questioning how big that groups impact is on the TOTAL music world.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah someone mentioned Thong Song lower down. Mariah Carey... I can't think of anything after 1996 by her. Honey, maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

We Belong Together was #1 for 14 weeks in 2005.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM

Yeah, well there's about 0 chance that is going to be on this list.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM

CMI,

I don't know about TRL these days because I don't watch it anymore. According to wiki, it's a lot worse and less important. But back around the turn of the millennium it was extremely important for all types of music that are going to appear on this list (i.e. not country, not indie, but most other things). For almost all of the songs on my original list, heavy airplay of the video was v. important for the song. Less so for the Dion song, but when you're sided along Titanic, it's fairly easy to get heard.

Pretty much the reason most of us know these songs so well is because of MTV.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CMI,

I don't know about TRL these days because I don't watch it anymore. According to wiki, it's a lot worse and less important. But back around the turn of the millennium it was extremely important for all types of music that are going to appear on this list (i.e. not country, not indie, but most other things). For almost all of the songs on my original list, heavy airplay of the video was v. important for the song. Less so for the Dion song, but when you're sided along Titanic, it's fairly easy to get heard.

Pretty much the reason most of us know these songs so well is because of MTV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh, I mean, I know TRL def. is a great predictor of music popularity.

But, a couple thoughts:

1. This isnt american bandstand. This is a show that appears on a fringe network that is only viewed by some very specific demographics.

2. As someone who doesnt watch the show I dont know its exact format, but I believe its like: the most votes get played, right? If so, I have some issue with the assumption that TRL has major influences on the pop market. I mean, if a song has to be highly requested to get on a show, it seems that the show is better thought of as a barometer (thermometer?) of what is popular at a moment than it is as having a massive influence on what will become popular. (ie, your observation that many of those songs were big on TRL: is it on TRL because its popular, or is it popular because it was on TRL?)

But, anyway, these two observations are tangential to my orignal point: that saying that things pre-TRL dont count is absurd. Just because TRL didnt hit it big until like 1999-2000, doesnt mean that music acts couldnt hit it SUPER-SUPER-SUPER BIG before that, it just means that MTV didnt have one show that was a good judge of what is currently big.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fringe network

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not on NBC but fringe is a little extreme here.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 PM

I haven't read all the responses. Did a quick ctrl+f and didn't find it. For another rock song, Kid Rock - Bawitdaba. That song was huge and is still used in movie soundtracks today.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 PM

It's kind've cyclical. TRL tells kids what's out now, and kids tell TRL which should be big. TRL was just the most popular medium of telling kids between ages 10-20 what the hit songs were.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Top 5 IMO would be:

Heart Will Go On
Macarena
Smooth
I Want It That Way
Hey Ya

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice. I think you pretty much nailed the top 5.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Perhaps fringe is a little much. Im not sure what exactly applies. But is it even a top 10 network?

[ QUOTE ]
TRL was just the most popular medium of telling kids between ages 10-20 what the hit songs were.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea if this is true, but I have at least *some* doubt that TRL beats radio at this point.

But, anyway, that still is slightly off from my point: if TRL didnt exist, people would still have found ways to get music, and people would have provided a way to find out who was popular, because it was done for more than 50 solid years of popular music before TRL came around.

I fail to see how the logic that bands that existed after TRL have this huge advantage in popularity makes sense.