FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Pac10 Football Week 5

[ QUOTE ]
The three best conferences this year seem to be the Pac-10, SEC, and Big East,

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I can see that.

[ QUOTE ]

and an argument could be made for many ways depending on how you rate them about their order.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure about this.

I understand your point about balance, and there is some validity to it. And I'm looking forward to seeing Rutgers actually play a game, and to see Cincinnati at some point as well. I completely disagree with the sentiment that the Big East is not a good conference. They are a strong conference -- no doubt in my mind, and have done some good things this year. But the argument that they are on par with the Pac10 and SEC flew right out the window with Louisville's and WV's performances.

And yes, I do think South Carolina would very likely win the Big East.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The three best conferences this year seem to be the Pac-10, SEC, and Big East,

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I can see that.

[ QUOTE ]

and an argument could be made for many ways depending on how you rate them about their order.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure about this.

I understand your point about balance, and there is some validity to it. And I'm looking forward to seeing Rutgers actually play a game, and to see Cincinnati at some point as well. I completely disagree with the sentiment that the Big East is not a good conference. They are a strong conference -- no doubt in my mind, and have done some good things this year. But the argument that they are on par with the Pac10 and SEC flew right out the window with Louisville's and WV's performances.

And yes, I do think South Carolina would very likely win the Big East.

[/ QUOTE ]

West Virginia surprised me because they had a decent defense. Louisville runs a Texas Tech style team that can beat lots of crappy teams by 80 but can't get the job done against any team with a defense. I never expected much from them. Cincinnati has a solid defense, so on a good day, its possible they could hang with anyone. Rutgers has been strong defensively, although its impossible to tell this year. South Florida absolutely shutting down WV's offense was very impressive. At this point, I would definitely put the Big East as the third best (not enough quality decent teams).

It does become close for the next few conferences. Big XII has 1 elite team, 1 good team, and maybe 2 decent teams. Big Ten is a bit of an engima- Ohio State seems very good (not quite at the top level, but maybe by the end of the season). Michigan State, Purdue seem to be overachieving, so its hard to tell how good they are. Wisconsin and Penn State seem like decent teams, but not good. Michigan is likely the 2nd best team in the Big 10 (highly talented, but very inconsistent and a serious flaw on defense). The ACC is a complete mess. I can't tell if BC or Clemson are any good or not. They seem decent. Miami is a decent team, but definitely no better.

At this point, I would likely rank ACC 4th, Big XII 5th, with Big 10 a close 6th. Still very early, and tough to tell everything.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:09 AM

An overrated WVU who has thus far played a joke of a schedule gets knocked down. Next on the list are Rutgers and Wisconsin who have only played one winning program between them.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 AM

Ranking Michigan is impossible. As long as the opposing QB can't run, they are excellent. If the opposing QB is fast, with this coaching staff, they lose.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 AM

WVU really needed to give Devine about 10 more touches than the 4 he had tonight. I think it's really a big mistake by Rich Rodriguez given the defense and the injury situation with White. They needed someone to make a big play and USF was obv. keying on Slaton. Catching Devine is like catching a mouse.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably obvious here, but the national media massively underrates the pac-10. I'm a Big-10 homer, but Oregon and Cal would sail through the Big 10...not to mention USC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this says more about the Big Televen than the Pac 10.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:23 AM

I was as much of an SEC hater as anyone a couple years ago (remember the WVU/UGA Bowl game?) but the I can't see any argument against SEC being at least #2.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ranking Michigan is impossible. As long as the opposing QB can't run, they are excellent. If the opposing QB is fast, with this coaching staff, they lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really true on either count. ND's offense is awful, and PSU's isn't very good so it doesn't tell us much about Michigan's D yet.

As far as fast QB's go, that may be true, but it isn't what beat us against ASU/Oregon. Both teams ran right up the middle out of the spread with great success. ASU then ran a lot of short routes which we played off of, allowing easy completions. Oregon just threw it deep for TD's (twice against a 3-deep, how is that possible). The running QB's did a little and evaded the rush on occassion, but it was hardly what led to the losses. People are so focused on the Vince Young/early Troy Smith/etc that anytime we play a black...er, running, QB, they assume that if the offense moves the ball it MUST have been because of a running QB and they don't actually look to see whether the QB did much running.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 AM

Can we all just agree that Chris Spielman is a terrible announcer who doesn't know how to control his voice?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Go Green Waaaaaaaaaaaaaave

Alright I'm bumping this [censored] because Tulane will definitely pull off the biggest upset ever as 40 point underdogs to LSU. I'll put money on it if someone will give me at least 1,000,000 to 1 in the next 10 minutes.