Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: You Can Run The Hundred In 8.3

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, but I'm tired of arguing this. I don't think one second difference of speed is enough for this guy to be a star. He would need more tools than this and I have already discussed why I think why.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, have no idea how long one second is.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:06 AM

And you have no idea how difficult it is to get open in the NFL without strength. 1 on 1 this guy would be great, it's just no one would play him that way.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:40 AM

Here is what I think would be the most likley scenario for the guy in David's original post.

First off, no way he walks onto a team and starts. He probably would make the practice squad (if he was a hard worker). alot of teams would be very enchanted with that type of speed, so a minimum development contract would probably seem worth the risk to them.

Say for the sake of argument, he actually makes the team as an acctive player. His most likely role becomes that of a gadget player. Maybe they work him in on 3rd-4 or 3rd-3 type plays to make the safetys play off a bit (as opposed to creeping to the line of scrimmage).

Or they work him in to open routes for other receivers. Because yes his speed would make defenders play a bit soft.

But as for being a starter and seeing 25-40 plays per game with 8-15 passes thrown his way... no way not without a few other assets than speed.

A guy does not come off the couch and start his first year in the NFL. Which is essentially what this question is asking.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, but I'm tired of arguing this. I don't think one second difference of speed is enough for this guy to be a star. He would need more tools than this and I have already discussed why I think why.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are so clearly wrong that I'm almost embarassed for you.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And you have no idea how difficult it is to get open in the NFL without strength. 1 on 1 this guy would be great, it's just no one would play him that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for some perspective the difference between this guy and an average safety/corner in the NFL over 40 yrds would be ~6-6.5 yards. This guy is defacto open. A CB can't play up on him or this guy will already be 1.5 steps open at the 15 yrd marker, thats more than enough for your average NFL QB to hit him in stride (once they have the timing down). And you can't bring your saftey up to protect that 15-30 yrd range because then by continuation of the fly pattern he will again be opend at the 35-40 yrd marker by a lot. Agains most NFL QBs could hit this guy pretty much in the hands with some timing practice, and can throw well over 40 yrds with good accuracy. You can't run a zone on him because his side of the field will be distorted ~ 5yrd farther back, meaning other players coming in (slot receiver, TE, RB in the flat) that area will have a huge open cushion, and you can't run this guy man because obviously he can win a foot race by so much he will be wie open way before you blitz gets there (which is incidentally why NFL teams care about 40 times since the QB usually doesn't get more than 4 seconds to throw the ball). Your whole defense has to be distorted to accomadate this guy, especialy when he goes in motion, or runs a reverse. Oh my god the reverse would be such a huge threat as the defense will have to commit to pursuit a half to a full second earlier, and will be 5 yrds farther distorted in an effort to get to him before he turns the corner, which means there are big holes for TEs, slot guys and RBs to slip into when you fake the hand off. Overpursuit would be a mandate against this guy, and yet overpursuit is bad because it leaves your defense vulnerable to deception (and cutbacks).
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 PM

i don't know if he would start immediately, but i think it's fair to assume he'd have a good chance to contribute in his first year and follow a normal development trajectory for an early round pick at wideout. yeah, he'd have a hard time getting off a bump and would have to toughen up quite a bit. but if you send him out 10-15 times and he gets open even once or twice it could be catastrophic for an opposing D, and once people got wind of it they'd end up overcompensating for sure.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly this statement comes from someone who's closest version of real football was Madden.

A) Go find someone much stronger than you (try a local college football player)

B) Have him try to keep you from advancing forward.

C) Come back with the results.

With Sklanskys given information the idea that any DB in the NFL won't be able to significantly disrupt this guy just about every single time is absurd.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:47 PM

You are underestimating how fast that is.
7/10th's faster then any other human is such a wide margin and such a huge advantage.

He can easily be taught with good coaching, some techniques to break free of a jam, and then he's off to the races.

If they are not in cover 2 and there is no jam, he probably has an 8-10 yard cushion. That is so ridiculously fast.

Think of the track guys that have started as WR and they are not even close to being in this guys league as far as speed goes.

He starts no doubt about it.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Well sure if you add to the question. I didn't add to the question. If a guy with that speed trains to shore himself up in the other areas of course he is a force. The question didn't say, if this guys can run this fast, and then goes through all the training needed to succeed at wideout will he start. I've never argued that he won't start, only that he will need more than just that amount of speed to start.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly this statement comes from someone who's closest version of real football was Madden.

A) Go find someone much stronger than you (try a local college football player)

B) Have him try to keep you from advancing forward.

C) Come back with the results.

With Sklanskys given information the idea that any DB in the NFL won't be able to significantly disrupt this guy just about every single time is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU are the one who is disrupted nearly every single time!