Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best 2/4 games
Stars 5 31.25%
Party 3 18.75%
Full Tilt 5 31.25%
UB 0 0%
Other 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: I DESERVE RESPECT

[ QUOTE ]
Shoe,

Do you think that posting some compile error ridden VB is going to impress upon me that you are really a "computer programmer"? The fact that you went to some trivial yet oddly error ridden VB pseudo code only supports my claim that you are no software engineer or "computer programmer".

You have at best a programmer analyst role. You may make light of titles but that's easy to do from the basement; which to be clear for the non techie folks is where your claimed role resides.

I only pile on because some greater fools buy your [censored].

J

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what your talking about. I'm not going to write some fancy program for you on a message board or do whatever else you think I need to do to prove myself. This thread is not about if I am a computer programmer or not (which I am), if you want to start another thread challenging me to prove that, then feel free to do so in the appropriate forum. If you are interested in having any programs or applications written, please PM your requirements and we can talk further.

As for my code that I did write, it looks like I only had 1 line that would have an syntax error (should have been strSQL = "Select person_type from people where username = 'jaydub'"

As for the rest of the code, I intentionally left out some connection strings and variable declarations. If you read any programming message boards you would know that programmers like myself only post code snippets to help each other learn unless we wrote a quick little useful program that we are willing to share.

I'm done responding to you unless you can actually make a valid point.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Shoe,

I am also interested in hearing more about the details of the 0% cards. Most of the ones I have encountered require a big fee if you get a cash advance. Which card did you use that did not require this?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 PM

This is how I feel about this thread:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow this is great. I hope Shoe stays on here for a while. This is great. I have more questions.

1) I'm curious about these 0% loans. I don't like credit myself. I don't have a credit card and every car I've ever owned I've payed cash for. Other then a mortgage I don't feel anyone should take on credit after the age of 25. Nevertheless, you caught my interest who gives out 0% loans?

2) Computer programmer is such a meaningless title. I have friends who work at Google and IBM who call themselves computer programmers. At the same time I've met people who think coding a website is being a computer programmer. So when you say you are a computer programmer does this mean you earn at least $55k/year and work for a company which I would recognize?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Henry. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Just about eery credit card will offer you a 0% balance transfer or convenience checks with a 0% rate. You either write the checks out to yourself, or transfer the balance to another card where you do not have a balance, and then request a refund for your "overpayment"

I would highly suggest getting a credit card, if for nothing else, to build your credit score. You don't need to put much on it, just put around $50 a month of your regular purchases on it and pay it off in full every month. You'll need a credit history to qualify for a mortgage.

2. I used to work for a company that is in the S&P 500. I'm now working for a smaller company that you probably have never heard of. I am happy with my salary and that is all that matters. Obviously I could make more if I moved out to silicon valley or something. I'm a top programmer but am not going to get into a big pissing match about it here. I also don't see how salary has anything to do with stock picking ability or this thread, other than people's general curiosity.

pureCra2z -- Thanks for the advice. I would be interested more in how you think I can improve my attitude. Sorry for not making this into a seperate post -- hopefully when the forums upgrade to vBulletin the ability to quote multiple users in a single post will come in handy.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shoe,

I am also interested in hearing more about the details of the 0% cards. Most of the ones I have encountered require a big fee if you get a cash advance. Which card did you use that did not require this?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.mymoneyblog.com has a good guide (I am not affiliated with this site). He suggests putting the money in a high-interest savings account. I took it one step further. Be careful though -- I believe some of the terms & conditions have changed on some of the credit cards he recommends since he made that post, so make sure you double check the terms before applying for a card or actually initiating a balance transfer. There are lots of good offers out there as well if you look for them -- and you probably get a bunch of 0% credit card offers in your mail several times a month as well.

Some cards charge a 3% fee, some charge a 3% fee capped at $50 or $75, some don't charge any fee, and the 0% offer can last for anywhere from 6 - 18 months, with ~12 months being the norm.

I am planning to write a similar site with my own guide and credit card offers, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Hope that helps!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Yes, I am specifically looking for the ones with no fee.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I am specifically looking for the ones with no fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the ones I applied for had a 3% fee that was capped at $75. With the amount I was borrowing the overall fee was less than 1%.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shoe,

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do computer programming.

Regards,
Shoe

[/ QUOTE ]
Then shouldn't you have enough moneys to pay for your margin instead of selling your shares?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand. I just got margin, I haven't used any yet. As far as the possiblity of having to sell shares to cover my credit card loans, I took out close to a year's salary in loans to invest in the market. I definitely am not going to be able to pay them all back by the time they start charging interest without transferring them, so yes, if I can't find another good transfer deal I will need to sell shares to cover my credit card balances.

[/ QUOTE ]
how much is your salary. If you took out a year worth of salary, then why do you care about the 10k that you would've gotten from prosper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that is 10k more than I would otherwise have right now. 10k is still a lot of money to me (as well as 99% of the rest of america).

Also, that 10k would be completely mine, it would not be debt that i owe but actual profit. Am i making sense here?

[/ QUOTE ]
you didnt answer my question..

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked, "then why do you care about the 10k that you would've gotten from prosper? "

Did i not answer that?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a general idea at: salary.com

Other than that, without a good reason on how that would contribute to this thread, I would prefer not to reveal that information at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know few "computer programmers" who would refer to themselves as such; the relevant title at the entry level is Software Developer or Software Engineer. I think you are, as usual, full of [censored] birthday boy.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted because that's a lot of quotes
Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Henry. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Just about eery credit card will offer you a 0% balance transfer or convenience checks with a 0% rate. You either write the checks out to yourself, or transfer the balance to another card where you do not have a balance, and then request a refund for your "overpayment"

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically you are playing a shell game with credit cards. You'll constantly need to apply for new cards to keep this up. I can't see how this would get you more then $10k at the upper max $15k. I hardly see how that would be worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
I would highly suggest getting a credit card, if for nothing else, to build your credit score. You don't need to put much on it, just put around $50 a month of your regular purchases on it and pay it off in full every month. You'll need a credit history to qualify for a mortgage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't give me financial advise. I drive a $90k car. You are kiting money off credit cards.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't see how salary has anything to do with stock picking ability or this thread, other than people's general curiosity.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. I'm just trying to figure out why you are not investing now and why you need to kite money off credit cards and borrow from prosper.com.

Someone with a well paying job should have sufficient disposable income and credit to do this without getting into these quasi-legal credit situations.

There is also the question that if you are delusional about your job then it increases the possibility that you are also delusional about your investments.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is how I feel about this thread:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

[/ QUOTE ]