"Hot For Teacher"
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: best drummer of all time

[ QUOTE ]
Alex Van Halen

only justification needed:

"Hot For Teacher"

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posts usually make me laugh. This, too, made me chuckle aloud.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 PM

Peart is tops for me, as far as living drummers go. However, I think even Neil Peart would admit that he's nowhere near the drummer Buddy Rich was.

See "Burning for Buddy"

- JunkHead
Old 10-12-2006, 07:10 PM

the answer is stewart copeland
Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, great sound, a lot of drummers (maybe they're just bad?) sound like they're banging on a tin can. Perhaps credit is due to Jimmy Page for producing all their albums and trying out different mic placements or whateverthehellhedid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally don't give the producer the credit for the drum sound, 95% of the time they just say "I want it to sound big" and then its the engineers job to make it happen. Zep's sound is as much because of Eddie Kramer and his assistant Andy Johns (brother of Glyn Johns, engineer for the Beatles). Mic placement on the drums was most likely actually done by Andy with direction from Eddie, of course this cannot be easily proven without asking them but historically thats what was done.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
TT,

I can guarantee you that Jimmy Page had more control over Zep's sound than your average producer/bandleader. He came up with the idea to use distant miking on Bonham instead of way up close. He was also very into manipulating the tape to produce new sounds. That effects part on Whole Lotta Love is tapes, theremin, drums, vocals. All JP's idea.

And that drum sound on When The Levee Breaks? Jimmy Page. Recorded from a stairwell in the castle they were using to record IV.

Anyways, Andy Johns almost ruined the master tapes to LZ IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard about the master tape thing, I didn't know who was responsible for it. Page can say "lets record the drums in the stairs, that would be cool" or "I want a bigger sound, how can I get that? Can you move the mics away?" but trust me... its only a step in the definition of sound. Mic placement is an art, Jimmy doesn't do mic placement. I don't know Jimmy or Andy, but Eddie and I know each other (its been years). He told us all some very interesting stories about those days, great stuff. We never discussed who is responsible for the drum sound, but in 95% of the situations I would be right.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, great sound, a lot of drummers (maybe they're just bad?) sound like they're banging on a tin can. Perhaps credit is due to Jimmy Page for producing all their albums and trying out different mic placements or whateverthehellhedid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally don't give the producer the credit for the drum sound, 95% of the time they just say "I want it to sound big" and then its the engineers job to make it happen. Zep's sound is as much because of Eddie Kramer and his assistant Andy Johns (brother of Glyn Johns, engineer for the Beatles). Mic placement on the drums was most likely actually done by Andy with direction from Eddie, of course this cannot be easily proven without asking them but historically thats what was done.

[/ QUOTE ]
TT,

I can guarantee you that Jimmy Page had more control over Zep's sound than your average producer/bandleader. He came up with the idea to use distant miking on Bonham instead of way up close. He was also very into manipulating the tape to produce new sounds. That effects part on Whole Lotta Love is tapes, theremin, drums, vocals. All JP's idea.

And that drum sound on When The Levee Breaks? Jimmy Page. Recorded from a stairwell in the castle they were using to record IV.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a reason that Jimmy Page is the producer of EVERY Zep album. He didn't want anybody else receiving credit for his magic.

As far as a master tape getting messed up...listen to the intro to Celebration Day on Led Zeppelin III. Rumor has it that the synthesizer from the end of Friends (The song before Celebration Day) was accidently recorded over the drum track at the beginning of Celebration Day. So, the synthesizer drones into the start of Celebration Day. If you listen to when the drums begin on Celebration Day you can hear that they sound a bit awkward on the fade in. They sound as if they were brought in mid-beat.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
TT,

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard about the master tape thing, I didn't know who was responsible for it. Page can say "lets record the drums in the stairs, that would be cool" or "I want a bigger sound, how can I get that? Can you move the mics away?" but trust me... its only a step in the definition of sound. Mic placement is an art, Jimmy doesn't do mic placement. I don't know Jimmy or Andy, but Eddie and I know each other (its been years). He told us all some very interesting stories about those days, great stuff. We never discussed who is responsible for the drum sound, but in 95% of the situations I would be right.

[/ QUOTE ]
TT,

I believe there was just them four at the castle during LZ IV recordings. Jimmy Page did a TON of studio session work before he was even in the Yardbirds. He knows how to work in the studio, and did not need an engineer to set up his mics. I will once again state that Jimmy That may be different for a lot of ginormous arena rock bands, but not LZ. There are bands who are competent enough to record themselves. TBK is a good example.