Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Re: My turn for a weightlifting/fitness thread

bigshowmack,

Lots of college strength coaches suck. Teaching kids form isn't horrid, but basketball/baseball are way behind football in terms of strength training.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 PM

Thremp that obviously goes without saying. When you watch the NFL combine and compare that with the numbers put up at the NBA predraft camp, the levels of commitment and dedication and effort put forth by football players is on a whole other level.

But in terms of developing functional strength for specific basketball movements in a novice weightlifter, its a pretty simple process. OP obviously isn't looking for us to get him ready for an NBA tryout, and so providing a basic workout plan that can gradually improve his explosiveness and strength is pretty easy, especially for someone who has never trained before.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SomethingClever -

how many days per week and how much time per day can you dedicate to training?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have city league basketball games on Monday, then I plan on working out/playing ball on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and either Saturday or Sunday. 1-2 hours per day.

[ QUOTE ]

What types of facilities do you have available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything they have at 24 hour fitness.

[ QUOTE ]

What is your goal? I'm assuming its to get into shape/increase functional strength and your vertical? What you have listed here isn't enough, especially for someone who isn't currently in shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

My goal is to jump high enough to dunk again. I'm not exactly "out of shape."
[ QUOTE ]

If you're trying to get stronger for basketball, I can recommend a full body workout 2-3 days a week, or an upper lower split, in which you'd work your upper and lower body on successive days two times a week each. Or I can take what you've outlined so far and increase it so that you can better achieve your goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if you have suggestions to bolster that schedule that would be great.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and also you don't need to measure your vertical every week. You will end up discouraged this way and lose motivation. You will always hit static plateau periods in which you make no gains for 2 or so weeks at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't get discouraged. I actually think frequent measuring will motivate me.

[ QUOTE ]

I have a folder that I have compiled over the years of training for college basketball which has various workouts in it. If you want to take a look at it pm me and give me your email address or AIM/MSN screenname so I can send it to you. Supply me with the info i've asked you, and I can tweak your workout schedule if you wish. Let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM sent.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Update: Played two pick-up games today and then measured my running vertical.

26 inches [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

BOOM

I didn't realize it would be so much better than my standing vert. Running vert is obv the one I need to improve, for dunks on fast breaks. No matter how high I jump from a standstill, I'll never be a player who grabs a rebound then goes straight up and dunks it. I do want to demoralize people by dunking on the break though.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM

bigshowmack,

I neglected to even read your previous personal attack on me. How unwarranted. And what does that have to do with anything? Are you offended because I'm more knowledgeable about the subject yet smaller than you? LOL ZOMG. I'm sure if I wanted to make a career I'd spend more time working out so morans would feel I would have more "credibility" (That and increase my knowledge exponentially).

Seriously WTF?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 AM

thremp when i posted that i was pissed off at the combination of your avatar and your know-it-all attitude. i got over it and from here on out do as you wish. you sound like you know what you're doing, and hopefully from here on out you can find the motivation to put your knowledge to good use.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 AM

bigshowmack,

You ain't down with madbeetz?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Sorry man no idea what 'madbeetz' is
Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry man no idea what 'madbeetz' is

[/ QUOTE ]

Its his photo.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Awesome. Way to derail this thread.

SomethingClever - if you got the yousend it file, check out the file called foundation phase #1. Add in some calf raises with weights. Try it 3 or so times a week for about 6 weeks. If you need help figuring out an exercise, consult exrx.net. Check out the other files for various exercises to help your vertical, and experiment with those as you can handle them.