Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Blackface: Racist or Funny?

[ QUOTE ]
racism pervades society at every level, and it informs a great number of interactions. just because it isn't blatant doesn't mean it doesn't exist. personally, i think the fact that people can make statements such as you just did show how abstruse it is, and that makes it more dangerous and harder to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn - I think this is pretty relevant in general (and very well put).

You're applying a very simple metric to your understanding of racism, and what should or shouldn't offend someone. It's more complicated than that. And there is something... well slightly off-putting when it seems you are telling minorities in this country what they should, and shouldn't be offended by.

-Al
Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM

ok i give up guys, good luck in life
Old 11-03-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i guess solely due to the fact that i am a white guy in america, my stance is lame. interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

No - it's somewhat troubling that you (clearly a smart guy) has so little perspective on the issue, and are so linear in your thinking on it.

-Al
Old 11-03-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who the [censored] cares?
Blatant racism is funny because our generation finds the ideas of racism so absurd. Dave Chapelle as a white man is funny. A white man as a black man CAN be funny. The people who care are the ones who are sensitive to race and thus either racist or reverse-racist.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

any comments about my tony montana costume question from earlier?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've answered this. I said I wouldn't find this offensive, but I could see how someone else might, and that's their prerogative, even in the case of Tony Montana. Your presumptive attitude about this whole thing is arrogant and downright stupid.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Al Pacino isn't Cuban and he played that part. Was he racist in doing so? They probably should've gotten a real Cuban to play the part otherwise it's just so insensitive.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:15 PM

Daryn,
You pretty much won this thread way back on the first page. Right now you are just beating your head into a brick wall.

All,
I'm getting the distinct impression that many of you are confusing "racist" with "poor taste". Think about this.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:18 PM

this thread reminds me of those japanese girls who break their legs and stretch the so that they can be taller
Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Tennen / Daryn:

Somehow, you are equating mine and DN's stance to be slighlty more understanding of racial issues, with something as absurd as thinking this:

[ QUOTE ]
Well Al Pacino isn't Cuban and he played that part. Was he racist in doing so? They probably should've gotten a real Cuban to play the part otherwise it's just so insensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG - are you kidding me? That is not what any of us are saying at all. For the record: I personally think being oversensitive to racial issues is silly, and find much humor in racism (e.g. istewart is one of my favorite 2+2 posters).

But racism is still very pervasive in US society (and obviously, the world I mean Asians themselves are very racist against blacks, etc. whatever). And being understanding of the concerns / reactions of minorities (when you are not in the minority, which, as a white person in the US, you are not) instead of just saying:

"OMG STOP OVERREACING THATS NOT RACIST"

...would benefit us all.

-Al
Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend was gonna paint her skin brown and get a grey wig and some sun glasses and go as go as Ray Charles for Halloween. I dont understand why that is racist. I would NEVER be offended if one of my black friends did the Dave Chappelle thing at a party.

I think people take this [censored] way too seriously when it's clearly meant to be a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because you're in Boston, but I know if I'd done exactly what your friend was planning to do and gone downtown, there's a STRONG chance I would have needed an ambulance to pick me up.

You can argue about the differences between blackface and costume makeup all you want, but if, as evinced by this thread, most people are going to be just as offended by one as the other, then its irrelevant.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My friend was gonna paint her skin brown and get a grey wig and some sun glasses and go as go as Ray Charles for Halloween. I dont understand why that is racist. I would NEVER be offended if one of my black friends did the Dave Chappelle thing at a party.

I think people take this [censored] way too seriously when it's clearly meant to be a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because you're in Boston, but I know if I'd done exactly what your friend was planning to do and gone downtown, there's a STRONG chance I would have needed an ambulance to pick me up.

You can argue about the differences between blackface and costume makeup all you want, but if, as evinced by this thread, most people are going to be just as offended by one as the other, then its irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this thread would be totally different if it was "Black person doing white person for halloween, Offensive?" I'm sure no one would be offended. And then there would be arguements well it's because white people didnt have to go through the same stuff that blacks did/do and face the same kind of racism etc..

Whatever. This thread is lame as hell. I'm not offended by anything. Next year, I think I'm going as a Blasian woman w/ dreds who happens to own a nail salon.