Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: The Photography Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about it some, and these are my thoughts:

-once a month might be good, at least to start. If we try it out, find it's too long or too short, we can always change as we go along.

-I like the idea of voting, it might make it a little more fun. Of course, I'm sure there will also be lots of comments about the posted photos. If we do have a contest, people should be asked to select the photo they'd like to enter, but be allowed to post more than one picture in the thread. Of course, we don't want someone posting 20 of their pictures in a thread, but I think that most people would be able to control themselves and only post the work that they're particularly proud of.

-I think By-Tor had a good idea when he suggested having one thread for pictures, and another for discussion. Keeping them separate may make it a little easier to keep up with. It would be a good idea to ask that all participants post in one size for the thread, but provide links to a full-size shot if they wish. I also think it would be a good idea to post the settings/metadata (focal length, exposure time, aperture, etc.) with the pictures as they're posted. The discussion could contain comments, Q & A about posted pics, and discussions of current/future topics.

-I think this thread would probably go better here than in OOT. Just my opinion.

-Having a contest where particular settings are limited would be interesting, but it may eliminate part of the field who don't have cameras that allow that sort of control. I'd hate to see people with more "point and shoot" type capabilities eliminated.

-I'd be happy to help out in any way possible.

Finally, the main hurdle I can foresee is getting people to follow the guidelines for posting. Everyone hates pics that stretch the screen, and will want to post full size images. If we can get people to follow the rules, post at a given size, and link to full size shots, I think the threads will be a lot more user-friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. So we could have a specific topic to photograph, i.e. street scenes, portraits, nature etc each month.

It would then be good if, before we all go out and take our photos on that specific topic, some of the better photographers could post their advice on shooting that particular type of image, and others could link to photography articles etc. That way we'd all be developing (no pun intended aha!) our photography skills as well.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 AM

some candids from a (big) park in Shanghai...

Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 AM

By-Tor, very nice...I thought the one with the kids/flowers and the one with the gentleman reading the paper were especially good.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Here are some of my Flickr photos....

Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 PM

So far my two favourites are

and

Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM

Default The Rule of Thirds?

I didn't know if this was worthy of a new thread, so I figured I'd just post it here.

I took the following picture in Japan about three weeks ago. I was on a business trip that got pushed out by about 10 days [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] from which about the only positive was the cherry blossoms popped (these same branches had buds but no blossoms a week earlier):

When I uploaded the pic, I got to thinking about the whole rule of thirds things, and cropped it to put the main blossoms more towards the right-hand and lower thirds:

Is the second picture really "better"? I think we go through life asking questions like, "Is that centered?" or "Is that level?" and that, coupled with having a technical background, makes me think in terms of straight lines and bisection and such.

(Oh, Olympus E-Volt E500, 17-45 kit lens, aperture priority mode, I think -0.7...)
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: The Rule of Thirds?

these are a little 'busy' for me and the shallow DOF makes me wish the entire background was sky.

ideally, some fill flash is needed to give the subject some pop

another shot i would have enjoyed would be a touch less DOF, an issolated branch and the building/sky as back drop.

overall though, i'm just jelleous that I've never been to Japan.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: The Rule of Thirds?

I'm sure this thread still has some life in it. Anyone have any new pictures to share?