Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: what to drink to seem sophisticated

I think we need to set some guidelines here. The OP wanted to look like he knew what he was doing with a woman... so OP how old are you and how old is the woman? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And where is the said drinking taking place? If both are under 25, it makes no difference what you drink or where you are. Whatever you do, don't listen to the idiots who have posted about ordering expensive scotches, even though they don't know anything sbout said scotches. In fact, don't worry about ordering anything expensive (unless you are trying to impress Paris Hilton or similar slime). Keep it simple - there is nothing that says "class" more than simple and tasteful. If you are taking her out for dinner, order a bottle of red wine for $25-35 - it is inexpensive, civilized and will give you both a nice buzz to facillitate the seduction. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If you are in a bar with grown-ups (i.e. not a dance club), go for the gin-vodka/soda-tonic type drink. No straws. If you are in a pub, type of place, any of the above plus beer is fine. The one thing I will say is wine/vodka drank in reasonable quantities helps the sexing; beer does not - it makes you feel dopey and full, especially since we tend to drink too much of it, and that's not good for anybody... unless you just want to take her home and fall asleep on the couch while watching a movie.
There you go. Ignore advice from BALLA youngsters - they are just posers. I have worked my way through a couple of wives and a lot of dates - just remember, simple is classy, no straws and no fruity drinks.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM

Order a Blue Moon and make sure they plop a big, juicy orange in it. Nothing says manly like fruit in your beer!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Blue Moon with orange is good [censored].
Old 06-14-2007, 01:51 PM

drink whatever you think tastes good. this isn't hard.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can FFK or fluff show up in this thread and tell us about all the times they were going to go home with a guy but once he ordered beer they realized he wasn't classy enough to be seen with?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. A man can drink whatever he wants.. as long as he is confident about it, it doesn't matter. However, when it comes to a man who cannot handle his alcohol, becoming belligerent or crying in the corner... now I have definitely avoided going home with THAT guy. And it's kind of a perma-turnoff. I'll never see him in the same way again.

EDIT: Oh and I do agree with whoever said that drinking beam and coke is an obvious sign of n00bness.. that is like the signature underage douchey frat kid drink.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, I don't know what bars you go to, while some of these might be rare I'd be surprised if I couldn't find a decent single malt in most any bar in the UK, not sure what the deal is in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many bars and I'd say nearly all decent restaurants have a single malt or two in the U.S.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, speyside is both a region and the name of a really good single malt, suck it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected - "The Speyside" is made at a newish, small distillery in Speyside.

[ QUOTE ]
macallan is the drink everyone chooses once they have moved one step futher out of the mainstream than JW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that The Glenlivet would be a better candidate for this.

Still, though I guess I and the other poster was jumping on your case for the "pretend you know something about it even if you don't" idea.
Plus you insulting gin and tonic. I find tonic foul but don't look down on anyone drinking it.

Also, I imagine someone asking for advice on what to order would not like Laphroaig.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 PM

laphroaig is really, really overrated among the pretentious - i have no idea why people think this is a great scotch

also bucky you're right re: wine, but i definitely order all sorts of 'weird' [censored] (at least for my age) but it's not to be pretentious
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Shirley Temple.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
drink whatever you think tastes good. this isn't hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, in a vacuum - but like anything else (clothes you wear, whatever) the drink you order on a date says something about you to the girl.

The OP isn't really about what guys think, it's about what their date thinks, and some of the most chill, perceptive women I know will look a little askance at a guy ordering a Mai Tai on a 1st date.

I like scotch, dark beers, martinis and other classic "guy" drinks so this isn't an issue for me.

And G&T is a gender-neutral drink. Just don't waste premium gin in them. Save it for your martinis.

-Al
Old 06-14-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL. A man can drink whatever he wants.. as long as he is confident about it, it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Oh and I do agree with whoever said that drinking beam and coke is an obvious sign of n00bness.. that is like the signature underage douchey frat kid drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

See?

-Al