Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

[ QUOTE ]
You do not need rip off artists like Benny Hinn to show you the light. You don't need books written by biblical scholars. You don't need to cruise the religious websites searching for the truth of God's Word.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said. Frauds like Benny Hinn should be in jail for dangling salvation in front of people in exchange for money.

[ QUOTE ]
Forget all of that. All you really need is Jesus & the Bible.

[/ QUOTE ]
10000% open to this idea. I just need a reason why I should believe this versus "All you really need is Mohammad and the Quran" or "All you really need is Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon." I have friends who gave me those lines the same way you did. How is a confused non-believer to choose without a solid reason?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a nutshell, that's my position. That's your position. We're on 2 different sides of the coin & it will most likely remain that way unless something changes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. My position is very much open to being changed. I just require a good reason to change it. I am trying to ask you about your reasons but all you do is dodge and throw questions back at me. If you want to concede you have no good reasons and just decided to have faith in one thing over another than you win by default, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

For somebody so open to Christianity, you sure do run awfully hard from it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what you mean. Your continued dodging of my serious questions is only driving me away further. I will restate the main one:

How did you choose with such certainly from the list of possibilities regarding the Biblical accounts? Maybe if you can explain this process to me I can try to duplicate it and arrive at the same conclusion that you did. I don't think asking for a good reason to believe what you are saying is true is too much to ask. If we didn't require reasons to change our beliefs we would all be constantly flip-flopping as people told us things and we accepted them without question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know as well as I do that you are even remotely interested in what I believe nor are you searching for Christ as your personal savior. You & I have been down this road before remember, so save us both some time & drop the act, ok.

As I said multiple times, I take the Bible as the infallible Word of God on faith. You don't. We are on two different paths. I don't know how much plainer I can make it.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take the Bible as the infallible Word of God on faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's asking why.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know as well as I do that you are even remotely interested in what I believe nor are you searching for Christ as your personal savior. You & I have been down this road before remember, so save us both some time & drop the act, ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am searching for the truth. If you have possession of truth that I am missing, I want it too. Simple as that. Your personal bias in this area is irrelevant. You have no idea what I am or am not searching for. You are acting very hostile towards me for someone who claims to be a devout Christian.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said multiple times, I take the Bible as the infallible Word of God on faith. You don't. We are on two different paths. I don't know how much plainer I can make it.

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you decide to have faith in the Bible over the other books you could have chosen to have faith in? That you don't have a good answer is making me lean towards thinking my Mormon friend is right. Doesn't seem very Christian to let me jump into the hellfire like that. Asking for even a small reason does not seem like too much to ask. Why don't you want to help me? Why won't you answer my questions?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said multiple times, I take the Bible as the infallible Word of God on faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing whether you consider it 'literal' or 'to be interpreted' or 'figurative' would be a comment I'd be interested in.
I use literal in a weird sense, apparently, but do what you can with it.

luckyme
Old 09-21-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I said multiple times, I take the Bible as the infallible Word of God on faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing whether you consider it 'literal' or 'to be interpreted' or 'figurative' would be a comment I'd be interested in.
I use literal in a weird sense, apparently, but do what you can with it.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i can get this one.

things plausibly literally true are taken literally, things clearly figurative or not plausibly literally true are taken figuratively. if he changes his mind about whether something is plausible, it becomes figurative to him.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am searching for the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably rational to put your heart and soul into various major religions. Look at the teachings, see what you can learn from them, try some of the rituals. Be sure to look into more than one religion, or you're not being reasonable - personally, I actually did have spiritual experiences in Christianity. But I also had them in Buddhism, and they were even stronger there.

If no religion stands out as "the one," then at least you've done due diligence. If Christianity is indeed true, you should be able to recognize that easily. (But it's not gong to happen. The search for truth is only going to get more complicated.)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am searching for the truth. If you have possession of truth that I am missing, I want it too. Simple as that. Your personal bias in this area is irrelevant. You have no idea what I am or am not searching for. You are acting very hostile towards me for someone who claims to be a devout Christian.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you decide to have faith in the Bible over the other books you could have chosen to have faith in? That you don't have a good answer is making me lean towards thinking my Mormon friend is right. Doesn't seem very Christian to let me jump into the hellfire like that. Asking for even a small reason does not seem like too much to ask. Why don't you want to help me? Why won't you answer my questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times have I said FAITH in Jesus Christ??

Faith is not a good enough answer for you is it tpir? You are too blinded by the world to accept such a simple solution. That's why you keep bringing up the same question. We were talking about miracles earlier, I showed you one in Acts with Paul & all you did, as usual, was use your critical thinking 'well, how do you know' questions to wave it away.

Like I said, drop the act. It's getting old.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many times have I said FAITH in Jesus Christ??

Faith is not a good enough answer for you is it tpir?

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesn't answer anything. he asks you why you believe, and your answer is that you believe.

[ QUOTE ]
You are too blinded by the world to accept such a simple solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why keep repeating it?

[ QUOTE ]
That's why you keep bringing up the same question.

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean the one you refuse to consider answering?

[ QUOTE ]
We were talking about miracles earlier, I showed you one in Acts with Paul & all you did, as usual, was use your critical thinking 'well, how do you know' questions to wave it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

so he is supposed to accept whatever you say without thinking? do you accept everything he says without thinking?

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, drop the act. It's getting old.

[/ QUOTE ]

to me, it looks like you're the one acting. it's hard to believe there's a real person writing what you post.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to me, it looks like you're the one acting. it's hard to believe there's a real person writing what you post.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've been down this road before. That's why I told him his scharade is getting old.