Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: 2007 MLS Thread

Man, I really pumped by that Hillsboro news. Playing downtown, especially at PGE would be cool, but Hillsboro could be a sweet tailgate place and the ticks would be cheap as [censored] too. I really really want a team here.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:21 PM

KDawg,
I think Atlanta would be a good spot, but I'd like to see some better USL attendance first. If they did a good job integrating all the local talent into the team then I think it could take off.

dw,
I agree about Landon having to play. Here's what I said earlier in the thread in case you missed it:

I'd love to see a 3-5-2 with:

D: Gooch, Bocanegra, Hejduk (God US defensemen suck)
M: Beasley, Dempsey, Ralston, Clark, and Donovan playing an attacking mid (can't score = no forward)
F: Twellmen, Johnson

Although I'd probably trade out Clark for Heilfaber or Bradley after seeing them play yesterday and maybe dump Ralston for a 4th defender.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 AM

they have to play 4 at the back. 3 at the back only works with little kids.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 AM

tone, it's hard to base much off of USL attendance for all cities except for Montreal and Rochester. I have no doubt that if Atlanta was awarded a MLS franchise, had a good stadium situation, and strong financial backing (which is basically every pre req these days for any new franchise) then they wouldn't have a problem drawing 14-18K on avg. That has been just waiting to blow up for soccer for a while IMO, the same thing with the portland area.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:29 AM

I agree, you can't look at USL attendance as evidence of anything. USL is below MLS is talent and in overall package, so poor attendance makes sense IMO.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Toronto looked very good in their game tonight against New York considering they were completely outclassed at almost every position and had a backup goalie playing in his second MLS game ever. The crowd was loud throughout, and I think definitely had an effect in the early part of the game.

They opened the scoring taking a 1-0 lead on a Jeff Cunningham goal and had a number of other good chances. Unfortunately, they ran in to the best player to ever wear an MLS jersey. After Bruce Arena moved his team into a 3-back set, the New York attack seemed energized and Juan Pablo Angel tallied another two goals (one a great strike on a free kick and the other a tap in from a deflected cross) to ultimately give Red Bull the 2-1 victory.

I still think that Toronto has a chance to make the playoffs this year, but it will be tough. They have a huge advantage when they play at home, and seem to be getting better every day. Plus, their players are coached as well as any in the league. Their first touch is great all around, and they are really learning to play into each other's strengths with properly-timed runs and crosses.

What will hurt them is that their next game is home vs FC Dallas, but that's followed by 6 straight road games, and then home games against Fire (with newly added Blanco) and Beckham's Galaxy. Also, being in the east is a kick in the face, as they'd likely be able to play into a top 2 slot out west.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Interesting comments from JPA:

“Honestly, I did not expect the league to be so good,” Ángel said in a telephone interview yesterday before the Red Bulls (5-2-2, 17 points) left for Canada. “This is a very tough league to play in. It’s physical. It’s fast. And it looks like the teams are pretty even, which makes it more competitive because in Europe most leagues only have a few top teams.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/06/sp...mp;oref=slogin
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 PM

chicago v chivas game has just started. The fire have really come out attacking (well that has been the fire's style since they came into the league). The pace of this match has been pretty good so far too
Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 PM

wtf, there are a TON of people at this game. Very surprising.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf, there are a TON of people at this game. Very surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

chicago has always drawn pretty well, it's starting to get real nice here, and schools are finishing up. That shot of the stadium looks like it's near capacity