Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: The Problem with Atheism: by Sam Harris

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you show quite abit of ignorance to how cultures are formed and what they are, and very little knowledge of history.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get a 21st century PC indoctrination, if that's what you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was commenting more on education than indoctrination.

But ok, inform me on how Europe's culture _isn't_ already a result of much multi-cultural integration with arabic/persian culture then. And as a hint, you don't have to mention anything after year 1500 to completely fail.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you show quite abit of ignorance to how cultures are formed and what they are, and very little knowledge of history.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But ok, inform me on how Europe's culture _isn't_ already a result of much multi-cultural integration with arabic/persian culture then. And as a hint, you don't have to mention anything after year 1500 to completely fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

We just barely share the same language. I don't see any common ground.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse you don't see it, it is integrated hence it doesn't stick out.

You have already used two arabic symbols in one of your posts, just as a minor example (actually they are indian, but the arab culture interaction lead them to be used in the west).
Old 10-06-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Reproductive success" is not just about the number of children an organism has. It's also about the viability of those offspring. Having a small number of successful offspring is often much better in evolutionary terms than having a large number of unsuccessful offspring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common ground at last. I agree....assuming that 'small number' mentioned above is > 2.1 offspring/couple.

[ QUOTE ]
Your claim that the health of a country is positively correlated with its population rate is patently absurd. It's the other way around. Most countries with low fertility rates have high standards of living and good health. All countries with high standards of living have low fertility rates, sub-replacement with the exceptions of the US and Israel.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an unfair edit of my position, well within expectations here.

To reflect my position correctly you should state that I believe a sub-replacement birthrate to be a sign of a troubled or dying culture/country/species/philosophy.

Trust me, I never expected to be treated fairly.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have already used two arabic symbols in one of your posts, just as a minor example (actually they are indian, but the arab culture interaction lead them to be used in the west).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using an old Brooklyn symbol/gesture right now. Can you guess what it might be?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using an old Brooklyn symbol/gesture right now. Can you guess what it might be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, if you are referring to giving someone the finger it most likely originates from either greece, roman empire or the middle east.