Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Full Ring 101 Questions - N00Bs ask here

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not a noob, but i was wondering, at what level does the floating, check raising and other tricky postflop crap become prevalent in the games?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, you can start to use those moves at $50NL, but selectively - You can't count on too many people being able to fold anything. Maybe very, very sparingly earlier than that. At $100NL you should probably be making those kinds of moves somewhat regularly but you shouldn't expect them to be used on you too often (except some regs). At $200NL and above you'll see all of this fairly regularly.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone help me identify situations where I can checkraise to isolate. Is this always committing a stack?

flop donk betting. any thoughts?

I haven been noticing a tendency to play much more aggressively when oop than when in position. Not necessarily betting more, just more often. Is this a generally good trend?

I play lots and lots of hands after limpers when i'm playing live and am otb. Does this suck?

what are appropriate situations for atc?

how do you critique live sessions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too broad for me, except for a couple:

[ QUOTE ]
I haven been noticing a tendency to play much more aggressively when oop than when in position. Not necessarily betting more, just more often. Is this a generally good trend?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Unless your opponents are generally weak-tight and read too much strength into you betting OOP and fold.

[ QUOTE ]
I play lots and lots of hands after limpers when i'm playing live and am otb. Does this suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually, yes, but it completely depends on villains.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not a noob, but i was wondering, at what level does the floating, check raising and other tricky postflop crap become prevalent in the games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Regs at NL200 start using this [censored] all the time. What has really helped me is playing some NL200 and being marginal and then moving back to NL100 and just crushing. Those two levels are just that much different.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:05 PM

So, I've been playing 100NL on stars, and I'm running about 4PTBB/100 over about 20k hands, most of the profit coming in the last 10k. Hopefully that means I'm improving. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm thinking about moving over to Full Tilt for a bit to clear the $600 bonus, and get rakeback during this time. Are there any real differences in the play at FT? Should I move down initially, until I get used to the software & players?

Also, can I start to datamine FT before I make a real-money deposit? I'd like to hit the ground running.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking about moving over to Full Tilt for a bit to clear the $600 bonus, and get rakeback during this time. Are there any real differences in the play at FT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always found FTP to be tighter but more straight-forward than Stars. Much more difficult to play big pots, but at the same time you get floated (etc) almost never. YMMV.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I move down initially, until I get used to the software & players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never a bad idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can I start to datamine FT before I make a real-money deposit? I'd like to hit the ground running.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Just don't forget to setup your account for rakeback.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many stats do you display on your HUD? I'm still using the default opponent stats for PAHUD, and I'm thinking of adding some additional ones. At first, it was confusing and distracting, but I've gotten used to the HUD.

Also, how high does the SB and BB's "Fold To Steal %" need to be before you're willing to steal with ATC from button or SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be much more valuable to your play if you figure this out yourself. Punch some stuff in Pokerstove. I don't have the fold to steal percentages up, I just go by their VP$IP and PFR%, I might be missing some value but oh well. I posted a pic of my HUD in a thread about them in this forum. I'll see if I can find it.

Here's the link to where I posted mine

Mine

To find others

put this in the search function for subject only

+"HUD" -"Re"

make sure you change the newer than thing to 1 year or 4 years or something or you won't get any good results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at the thread linked and saw your layout and honest ryan's. Recently, I added cb and cbf to the default 4, but I am only playing 25NL, so I haven't really gotten alot of enlightenment from them since most of my opponents have so few hands.

I noticed ryan included folding sb and bb but didn't have the ws (went to showdown) like you did.

I was wondering if you or any of the other successful players here could comment more on these and other stats to show on pahud.

Generally, I've found that the vpip numbers start giving me a picture quickly (I have it set to start displaying after 6 hands), and the pfr starts telling me about something about pre-flop raising ranges or passivity after a couple orbits.

The total agression is a little more difficult for me to interpret. Perhaps I need some pointers on it. So far, I see it as I should be more likely to fold if a low TA villain bets and more willing to valuebet a strong hand into same, since he is not likely to bet for me. I guess that implies the opposite for a high TA villain, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, where I'm at right now is trying to get better at stat interpretation and hand reading. I figure I have to get better at these before I start trying serious multi-tabling (comments welcome on this idea as well).

So far, I can identify pretty well the set-miners and fish, but the in-between'ers will take some time to learn how to read accurately and play against.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope I didn't sound harsh. However, extended bad runs are just something you have to deal with if you're going to play poker seriously. Check the monthly chat thread, there's always someone in the midst of a horrible downswing where nothing's going right.

This is a good thread on downswings:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=

This is another good one, where I originally posted my break-even stretch from hell:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

This is my current Stars lifetime graph. This graph is ONLY Stars.

To put this into some context, I had a small number of hands at Stars, maybe 10K before moving my play full time to Stars late last summer. So most of this graph the last year + a few months.

I had about a quarter of a million hands at other sites prior to moving to Stars and I've played maybe another 50K elsewhere in that time (mostly FTP) for a total of somewhere around 1.3 Million hands.

The most obvious part of this graph is the ~400K break-even stretch. This amounted to around 3 months of full time play.

However, there are also lengthy break-even stretches from:

About hand 645K to 680K (35K hands)
Hand 746K to 815K (69K hands)
840K to 870K (30K hands)

Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this was variance, or did you start playing better/differently to change this "stretch from hell"?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Check the second link, I go into it in some detail.

Cliff notes: Run very bad for long time -> Perma-tilt -> Drop down to $50NL -> Gogogogogo!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:05 PM

Another multi-tabling question - if this was answered elsewhere in the thread, I missed it.

I don't use PT/HUD displays when I play most of the time. So I have to get my reads the old-fashioned way, and I find that this is very difficult when playing more than 1-2 tables. When I add a third table, my winrate plummets (as in turns into a loserate). When I played limit I could do 4-6 tables without data, but there is a lot more reading to do in NL.

Does anybody do 3+ multi-tabling without HUD? Am I just wimpy, or this really that difficult?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another multi-tabling question - if this was answered elsewhere in the thread, I missed it.

I don't use PT/HUD displays when I play most of the time. So I have to get my reads the old-fashioned way, and I find that this is very difficult when playing more than 1-2 tables. When I add a third table, my winrate plummets (as in turns into a loserate). When I played limit I could do 4-6 tables without data, but there is a lot more reading to do in NL.

Does anybody do 3+ multi-tabling without HUD? Am I just wimpy, or this really that difficult?

[/ QUOTE ]

if u dont mind me asking...

u sed ur a loser when u try to go 3+, and even say its probably because u dont have a HUD. why dont u get a HUD?

the cost is very minimal and it will pay for itself in no-time.