Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Soccer debate - Club vs. National Team

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The simply fact is that football is an extremely high variance game

[/ QUOTE ] Really? I thought the opposite was true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football is very high variance.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The simply fact is that football is an extremely high variance game

[/ QUOTE ] Really? I thought the opposite was true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football is very high variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it's less than baseball or hockey because in those sports one player can dominate a single game more than any other. It is higher variance than basketball or certainly American football.

Thinking about it a little more, it may actually be as high as baseball or hockey. While the Devil Rays do beat the Yankees fairly often, if you look at the domestic cup competitions you have lower division teams beating superior opponents pretty often. There is fairly often a second flight or even lower team or two in the quarterfinals. Part of that is getting a good draw but a lot of it is them beating top flight teams.

I wonder what would happen if let's say the Blue Jays played a AAA minor league team. It's not quite equivalent to playing a lower-division club but it's reasonably close. I think they would about as often as the lower division teams beat the teams one division up.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:55 PM

I think I read an article saying that some study had found soccer a higher variance than most other sports.

After googling I think this might be the study: http://cnls.lanl.gov/~ebn/pubs/sports/sports.pdf

I havent read it yet though.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 PM

If Liverpool won the Intercontinental cup, fans of them would be on here talking about how great their victory was and that they are world champions.

But if they lose, its because "they didn't care". Haha what a joke..
Old 07-26-2007, 04:41 PM

National teams edge it for me.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Liverpool won the Intercontinental cup, fans of them would be on here talking about how great their victory was and that they are world champions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll repeat what I said earlier, the Man U fans that I know have never mentioned winning that Cup. They'll mention FA Cup victories, but not this Cup. From what I gather, it's stuck somewhere between the Carling Cup and the FA Cup in importance (and closer to the Carling Cup than the FA Cup).
Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you want to make a bet right now? We'll see how the Milan fans react in december to the competition, I highly doubt that if Milan wins it that New001 will be then proclaiming that Milan are the best in the world because of winning it.

This past year, there was barely a thread going on the World Club Cup and nobody gave a rat's ass about it. I'm pretty sure that it was TSC who made the thread, and he was mainly talking to himself in the thread. As a ManU fan, I know that I would barely care whether or not we ever win it as it means nothing to me, and I'm pretty sure the other ManU fans that post here would agree with me

[ QUOTE ]
I'll repeat what I said earlier, the Man U fans that I know have never mentioned winning that Cup. They'll mention FA Cup victories, but not this Cup. From what I gather, it's stuck somewhere between the Carling Cup and the FA Cup in importance (and closer to the Carling Cup than the FA Cup).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a ManU fan for almost ten years, and hell, I don't even remember us winning it. I more remember when Blatter tried to put together the World Club Cup competition to knock out the toyota cup that our players cared more about sitting out by the pool then doing anything in the competition, and I know for me, I hated the fact that they dropped out of the FA Cup to enter that Farce of a tournament. Not entering the FA Cup prevented us from possibly winning the double that year.

As far as importance, I'd put it right next to teh carling cup, and maybe below it. I mean hey, it's more possible silverware, but it doesn't excite me at all, just like the carling cup doesn't excite me. The FA Cup still excites me because there is magic with teh FA Cup, and of course the Champions league and winning the League really excites me
Old 07-27-2007, 12:48 AM

don't think I started a thread on it.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 AM

if you didn't, then no one did
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you want to make a bet right now? We'll see how the Milan fans react in december to the competition, I highly doubt that if Milan wins it that New001 will be then proclaiming that Milan are the best in the world because of winning it.

This past year, there was barely a thread going on the World Club Cup and nobody gave a rat's ass about it. I'm pretty sure that it was TSC who made the thread, and he was mainly talking to himself in the thread. As a ManU fan, I know that I would barely care whether or not we ever win it as it means nothing to me, and I'm pretty sure the other ManU fans that post here would agree with me

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a ManU fan for almost ten years, and hell, I don't even remember us winning it. I more remember when Blatter tried to put together the World Club Cup competition to knock out the toyota cup that our players cared more about sitting out by the pool then doing anything in the competition, and I know for me, I hated the fact that they dropped out of the FA Cup to enter that Farce of a tournament. Not entering the FA Cup prevented us from possibly winning the double that year.

As far as importance, I'd put it right next to teh carling cup, and maybe below it. I mean hey, it's more possible silverware, but it doesn't excite me at all, just like the carling cup doesn't excite me. The FA Cup still excites me because there is magic with teh FA Cup, and of course the Champions league and winning the League really excites me

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang on and reflects my feelings as a Man Utd fan almost exactly. You can keep saying 'oh you only don't care because you keep losing' but it's just not true. The only way people would start caring would be with a complete overhaul of the contest along the lines of the world cup. However since this is totally impossible without rewriting either the international calandar there will sadly never be a true world club competition.

If there was there is no doubt that European teams would utterly dominate. All of Brazil, Italy, France, Argentina, Germany, Portugal, England and Spain's best players play in European club teams.