Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: general knowledge everyone knows (but you!)

[ QUOTE ]
I've read literally thousands of books in my life and I know virtually nothing about William Shakespeare. Never read nor have I see one of his plays. (Did see the Zefferelli Romeo and Juliet a hundred years ago.) And my wife, also well-read, hasn't either. We went to see a play last week where knowledge of King Lear was crucial to understanding this play. We were clueless.

I've also never read any Freud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow on Shakespeare - go rent Polanski's Macbeth.

Freud - he was a quack, so no great loss.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow on Shakespeare - go rent Polanski's Macbeth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is great. Just watched it for a class, and everyone in the room was enthralled (after taking a minute to snicker at Hugh Hefner's name appearing in the credits, of course). Really enjoyed Jon Finch's performance.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Freud was extremely insightful about a lot of things, regardless of whether you into any of his theories in whole or in part. Read Civilization and Its Discontents, at least. It's quite short, tremendously readable, and brilliant.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know the difference between a burrito and a soft taco (i.e. with a flour tortilla).

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, this made me laugh. To this day I'm still not sure what a tostada is. Is it a flat hard shell with stuff piled on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what a tostada is (at least in Mexico).
With regards with soft taco. The definition of soft taco is never used in Mexico, it is an American invention. My guess is that a soft taco differs from a burrito by size (burritos are bigger) and the fact that a taco is just grabbed by two ends in the form of a canoe, while a burrito is rolled.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 AM

htf would i know?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:30 AM

how to eat ribs

i don't like them particularly, never eat them but recently had them at an amazing Venezuelan restaurant in Miami. impossible to eat with knife/fork right? just learned that if meat served on a bone, then it's kosher to use your hands...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:16 AM

I have two things I can think of.

One is spelling. I am generally pretty smart but for some reason spelling just eludes me. The only thing I ever had to cheat at in school were spelling tests

The other thing is a little different. I have a very hard time remembering things from my past. I hear people all the time telling things about when they were kids and I think back to how few things I actually have a vivid memory of from when I was younger. I remember some things and general things but there is a lot of stuff missing unless it just happens to pop into my head randomly. Maybe this is normal but it seems like most people I talk to remember way more stuff about when they were younger.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a very hard time remembering things from my past. I hear people all the time telling things about when they were kids and I think back to how few things I actually have a vivid memory of from when I was younger. I remember some things and general things but there is a lot of stuff missing unless it just happens to pop into my head randomly. Maybe this is normal but it seems like most people I talk to remember way more stuff about when they were younger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too. I always blame the accumulation of malted hops and bong resin from my younger years....but am unsure if that has anything to do with it or if it's just one of those things some people remember and others don't.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a very hard time remembering things from my past. I hear people all the time telling things about when they were kids and I think back to how few things I actually have a vivid memory of from when I was younger. I remember some things and general things but there is a lot of stuff missing unless it just happens to pop into my head randomly. Maybe this is normal but it seems like most people I talk to remember way more stuff about when they were younger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too. I always blame the accumulation of malted hops and bong resin from my younger years....but am unsure if that has anything to do with it or if it's just one of those things some people remember and others don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have often wondered if it has something to do with growing up with a mom who was Bi-Polar. Lots of weird stuff and then not remembering kind of like when people do not remember being in a bad car wreck?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have often wondered if it has something to do with growing up with a mom who was Bi-Polar. Lots of weird stuff and then not remembering kind of like when people do not remember being in a bad car wreck?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has to be genetic. I can't remember much from my past. I can remember information about it, but I can't remember the essence of it.

I read a study about men and women. A woman tends to remember every one of her partners, but a man doesn't remember exactly how many women he slept with.

You may say it is because of some male gene, or too much testosterone, but you figure an autistic child has perfect memory.

Whatever.