Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Winning in Tough Hold \'em Games

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how most publishers in our field will survive, and most of the authors who are now writing books will discover that their long term royalties are negligent, and many of those who got advances, won't get any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

To those who are not aware (Mason of course knows this), most publishers offer a large advance up front to lower the royalty payments, and in many cases (such as technical books, I would assume most poker books fall into this category) the one time payment is the only thing the author ever sees.

Eventually along comes 2+2 offering a tiny or non-existent advance, but huge royalty payments on the back end. Suddenly you have to gamble, if your book doesn't sell you might make less than if you negotiated a flat fee from XYZ publisher but it it does well (and almost all 2+2 titles do) then the sky is the limit.

Mason is a man of great morals, he could be making tons more off book sales if he kept the royalty rates in the same range as his competitors and 2+2 would still get the best product out in the market because the company attracts that caliber of author. Instead Mason does what any smart business man should do, he gives the author the farm. Very admirable. Fiscally unwise perhaps, but VERY admirable. Nobody can ever fault him for being a giving soul.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An excerpt from Nick "Stoxtrader" Grudzien's and Geoff "Zobags" Herzog's new 2+2 book can be read in the March issue of the Magazine.

Book Excerpt: The Bet-Bet Line (from Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games)

[/ QUOTE ]

That all seems really obvious.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:33 AM

Hello MacGuyV

I think you've misunderstood something. This thread isn't really about shorthanded poker in general or the new book in particular. It is about book spines and covers and royalties and other thingamabobs. Also, may I offer you this new thread on the smell of HOH1. No, it's not a typo [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Enjoy,

Smurf
Old 03-18-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not being combative here; I just suddenly find myself intrigued about how books are bound! Also I was a bit bemused by Mason's implication that hardcover books fall apart after a few decades because the glue dries out - lots of libraries, hell even my parents, have books which are hundreds of years old, have been read and re-read often by ordinary mortals, and are perfectly intact.

[/ QUOTE ]

My whole front cover of Super/System is completely seperated from the book. The pages are stiched in but the front cover was glued onto the spine as well as attached by paper. Also, I have a brown cover version, not a silver one. It was still a B&G Publishing book and I bought it in 1983.

As for Million Dollar Blackjack, even though it is a hard cover, all the pages are glued in and are now falling out. I bought it in 1981.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify: I did not doubt your assertion that your copies of those books were falling apart. I was surprised by the suggestion (at most implicit, and perhaps not intended) that hardcover binding in general is subject to those faults.

Anyway, this thread is sufficiently off the rails as it is. I will say this: I'll be buying stox's book, as I buy most 2+2 books, and I will be perfectly happy however good or bad I think the binding/paper/artwork/proofreading (ZOMG THE PROOFREADING!!!!) etc are. It's the content, the ideas, the thinking-about-poker that I buy these books for, and most of them do not disappoint.

Guy.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:22 PM

LETS NOT [censored] WITH EACH OTHER, HERE, THE GUN ON THE COVER IS ALL WE REALLY NEED!!!11!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:52 PM

I do love the gun on the cover. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In accordance with 2+2 tradition, I think Winning In Tough Hold'em Games should have a gun on the cover. Maybe a Glock or a 9mm? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In accordance with 2+2 tradition, I think Winning In Tough Hold'em Games should have a gun on the cover. Maybe a Glock or a 9mm? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And maybe a picture of Phil Ivey holding it sideways?

That would help both the book's and Phil's street cred.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An excerpt from Nick "Stoxtrader" Grudzien's and Geoff "Zobags" Herzog's new 2+2 book can be read in the March issue of the Magazine.

Book Excerpt: The Bet-Bet Line (from Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games)

[/ QUOTE ]

That all seems really obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I was quite disappointed with this excerpt.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Well, maybe the excerpt was just poorly selected. There is not much groundbreaking to write about the bet-bet-line after all.