Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Stars response on a chronic staller, with no reason to stall.

I paid my entry, I can play however I want...

Thanks for the equity!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the equity!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - nh
Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,
While stallers are annoying as all hell I can tell you right now if I am having weird connection issues in a $1k and timing out here and there I better still have my full 15 seconds to act when I reconnect. In essence, there is no real solution that punishes offenders adequately while in the breath allows those who need the time to continue to use it as they are afforded.

Also in terms of live poker, I had people in the WSOP take 45-60 seconds every hand before acting, a full 45 no matter what the hand was. This was annoying as [censored] and I couldnt fire up more tables, but it is a part of the game. Frankly, I think this thread is simply a result of someone who is pissed off because they lost a seat and this staller had now become one of the reasons for said loss, while it all together might not have had an effect one way or another.
~J

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin, I've really got to disagree with this.

If you are playing tournaments online, especially ones of a $1000 buyin or more, your connection is your problem. I pay for a backup connection, as any other sane person who plays at these stakes does. If other people don't, it's not my problem and it certainly shouldn't affect what rules Stars enforces.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this (without giving it much thought). Sure, I expect a lot of internet professional poker players do and should have a backup internet connection at high levels of tourny play. However do I expect rich FISH to have a backup internet connection? No, I do not. Nor would I want to alienate them if I were stars. If I'm wrong, correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why is it Pokerstars' policy (correctly) that your connection is your responsibility? If they're going to be "alienated" because of something that isn't Stars fault, what are you gonna do? Again, however, this has absolutely nothing to do with the case we're talking about because this guy had no problem with his connection.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the equity!

[/ QUOTE ]
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

VERY nice job with the avatar. Seriously.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am amazed at this thread and at so many of the responses from posters I otherwise admire.

Everyone should have some time to consider their decisions. You believe he was taking too long and you let it bother you. You believe it was rude. Perhaps it was. But playing by the rules is still playing by the rules. Some people get upset when they are check-raised. Should we change that rule as well? Oh wait, we like that one.

He played in a way that was +EV for him and -EV for you. I suspect learning to control your emotions will be much more effective for you than a rules change.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the time that is allotted to players is there to allow them sufficient time to deliberate over difficult decisions. This is an important aspect of the game, and every player makes use of the time bank when necessary. When players abuse this system by letting the clock running out every hand, I think this constitutes a very clear violation of poker etiquette and this should be sufficient to incur penalties if done consistently, in the same manner that abusive language, etc., is not tolerated. In sum: Stalling in the manner described by OP is clearly against the spirit of the game and I think such behaviour warrants punitive action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking time for each decision is not against poker etiquette. Have you ever seem Chris Ferguson play? He takes time for each decision - even when he folds. Did you see the pay-per-view of the WSOP ME? Jerry Yang took the same amount of time - quite a bit of time - for each hand. They had a lot to say about Jerry, but I don't recall any complaining about him taking time.

You may not like it, but I do not believe taking as much time as PS gives us is bad poker etiquette.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am amazed at this thread and at so many of the responses from posters I otherwise admire.

Everyone should have some time to consider their decisions. You believe he was taking too long and you let it bother you. You believe it was rude. Perhaps it was. But playing by the rules is still playing by the rules. Some people get upset when they are check-raised. Should we change that rule as well? Oh wait, we like that one.

He played in a way that was +EV for him and -EV for you. I suspect learning to control your emotions will be much more effective for you than a rules change.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the time that is allotted to players is there to allow them sufficient time to deliberate over difficult decisions. This is an important aspect of the game, and every player makes use of the time bank when necessary. When players abuse this system by letting the clock running out every hand, I think this constitutes a very clear violation of poker etiquette and this should be sufficient to incur penalties if done consistently, in the same manner that abusive language, etc., is not tolerated. In sum: Stalling in the manner described by OP is clearly against the spirit of the game and I think such behaviour warrants punitive action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking time for each decision is not against poker etiquette. Have you ever seem Chris Ferguson play? He takes time for each decision - even when he folds. Did you see the pay-per-view of the WSOP ME? Jerry Yang took the same amount of time - quite a bit of time - for each hand. They had a lot to say about Jerry, but I don't recall any complaining about him taking time.

You may not like it, but I do not believe taking as much time as PS gives us is bad poker etiquette.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points Bak.

No need for more rules that must be arbitrarily used.
I understand OP's frustration, but I rather have they keep the current rules.

ToT
Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the equity!

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely best first post and avatar I've seen in a while. Good start to 2p2 for you my friend.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:22 AM

Am I the only one who feels the need to wish bodily harm upon tons of posters in this thread? lol donkaments indeed.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 PM

lol at online sites actually putting in an effort to extend their rules beyond the most basic constraints to maximize user enjoyment. I mean, how long did it take Full Tilt to put in resizeable tables? Two [censored] years? When I emailed them a year ago asking for this, I got a response saying that their "software staff" was still working on it. I mean, a [censored] freshman Computer Science student could do that in under 10 hours.

As far as the rule is concerned, I had a similar experience, except it was near the bubble of a [censored] $10 tournament. Some ass named "BigB0SSman" (read: redneck) decided to time out of about 20 hands in a row. That probably cost the rest of the table 15 hands. Yeah, it's only a $10, but I don't give a [censored], I'd like to have a shot at winning more $.

There should be a rule saying that if time out / fold ~5 hands in a row that you be penalized 2 hands. If you time out another 4 hands, you be penalized 4 hands. And then if you time out 2 hands, you be penalized 6. Or something along those lines. It's totally fair in the online community because if you are in a [censored] tournament and you are just sitting in front of your computer for WHATEVER REASON for ~5 hands in a row, then a penalty should be imposed. I mean, if you are taking the time to actually make plays, that's one thing, but after a few hands of timing out and folding, [censored] begins to stink pretty badly.

Barry
Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Without causing any problems with regards to internet lag problems etc Stars could easily have an automated pop-up occur after, say a 4th consecutive timeout, ASKING the player to speed up.

I'm sure this wouldn't help in all cases but would it be a slight improvement on the current situation with no negative side affects?