Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Venetian Poker Questions

You're not the only one who doesn't mind the added attention. Likewise, I am not the only one who wishes to NOT have the added attention.

Im not there for fun- its business. The effect that small dents in your hourly earn make ADD UP; and the cardroom ITSELF is benefitted by local players that play daily a minimum of 8 hour sessions. Im not coming from left field here- traditionally dealer's were expected to say little , if anything at all.

Do the math- its a hefty rake. Not to mention that we collectively keep games going longer.

NLHE players playing for their income do not acknowledge one another at the table, even though we see each other just about everyday- and often eat together away from the table- why is that? Because it makes a difference on how you are viewed by the tourists.

I started out as a dealer. It is not difficult to discern the players that appreciate the extra attention, and the players that do not. Basically, if the player often initiates the greeting, from that point on it is fine to greet the player by name--

If they are skiddish and merely nod and smile at you when they are in the game- act accordingly.

Additionally- it is always fine for the floor to greet you by name- they do his courtesy for everyone because of player's cards. Just- dealer's should err on the side of caution.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:54 PM

its not difficult to know the difference between players that want to be recognized, and players that dont.

why should I receive attention that I do not wish? Because you like that attention I should be inconvunienced in such a way that costs me money?

And Michael- realize that your desire for familiarity from dealers is not what is deemed "correct" dealer behavior in Vegas, where the term, "dummy up and deal" was coined.

Familiarity is for the floor to extend- not the dealers.

The Venetian is a room that is obviously aiming to for the same market as the Bell and Wynn-- not the market of the palace station and gold coast. Im playing at the lowest legitimate NL stakes ($2/5)- and Im willing to prop bet you $1K that the majority of regular players at the same level would agree with me that they don't like dealer's calling them by name...and this is the LOWEST NLHE stakes. The higher stakes you go, the more the players desire anonymity.

Leave the name recognition for the 3/6 game, or the floor.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Flub,

I'm starting to see what you're saying. FWIW, while I don't play for a living, I do play mid and higher limits for money that is important to me - I agree with you that dealers shouldn't be overt about saying hi to a regular if it's not desired. Come to think of it, I usually initiate the quick hello with dealers I know - what the heck, I'm a friendly guy. Once the down begins, I prefer dealers refrain from extraneous talking and the good ones do.

That said, I was merely disagreeing with the need to be "anonymous" and look like just another tourist at the table. I don't think it's a big deal really but I play in Atlantic City where there are many more regulars (inc. MANY poor playing ones) than Vegas. It's not as common to see a complete stranger show up in a mid/higher limit game bf never being seen again (though it's becoming less rare lately). Vegas could be a different environment, I respect that and where you're coming from. For me, I don't think a dealer smiling at me or a floor person stopping to say hi hurts my action.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2006, 07:04 PM

I agree with you, to an extent (especially when referring to higher stakes). And yes, I am strictly a low stakes player ($1/2-2/5NL, $3/6-$10/20L), which I probably why I really don't care if the other players know I am a local.

However, greeting someone by name and carrying on conversations are two very different things. I do not advocate lengthy dealer generated conversations at the table for obvious dealer accuracy concerns. However, a greeting at the table does not seem like a big deal to me at the 1/2-2/5 level. I think that a greeting by name should not be critisized, in general, to the staff. If it is of individual concern, then it can be addressed privately by you to those in question (or to the floor that can convey your feelings). Besides, just remembering someone's name doesn't mean they play there every day. I remember other players names that I only played against once three years ago, and if I sat down next to them tomorrow at a table, I would greet them by name. Some people just remember names. Granted this is player to player, not dealer to player, but similar rules apply, I would think. Softies unite!

I get your point. You are a serious player, and I respect that. I, however, am not (and neither are most that are playing in the games that I am in).

Changing the MO of an entire room just to make a few more comfortable is unnecessary. Perhaps making this understood, if not privately, only at higher limits, then fine.

I have played in the B and the W several times, and their coldness at the table is one of the reasons I don't play there. I guess I am just the bad apple in the bunch. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 08:09 PM

Great thread Lee. I look foward to meeting you and staying/playing at the Venetian this week.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised. I was there Sat night from 5:30 pm until 5:30 am. I thought I heard a $40-80 LHE being called a good part of the night (as well as a $50-100 mixed).

[/ QUOTE ]

I post worse than I play poker [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

They did have a $50-100 mixed game going. But I convieniently left it out as that game is way to rich for my blood.

BTW, I love to give bad beats to nits who do not wish to be acknowledged by dealers. LOVE IT!

Nothing made my night Friday there than catching a third J on the river to go with my TPTK and take down nit's overpair to the board. And then have him comment "AJ...thats a semi-legitimate hand I guess".
Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Just got back from the V, and they had the following (not bad for early tuesday night):

3/6,6/12,20/40 limit
1/2,2/5,5/10 NL

Long list for Omaha and a decent list for 5/10 mixed game.

I started the Crazy Pineapple list, but unfortunately, we couldn't get more then 3 on the list (I wasn't surprised, as that is more of a Friday/Saturday night thing).

Good times!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:01 AM

"Just got back from the V, and they had the following (not bad for early tuesday night):
3/6,6/12,20/40 limit
1/2,2/5,5/10 NL"

I was on my way to the V tonight but wound up at the WSOP (RIO) insead. Man, that place (WSOP) was packed!

After the Rio & some BBQ, I'm on my way to Red Rock. I'll check the V out later tonight and check the poker action out. Thanks for the update.

PS, Hey S.R., next time you are in town (if not already here) give me a PM and I'll buy you a beer and .......

1) Drive you over to Photoc's house for late night Sushi.

2) Go hang with some strippers.

3) Visit the Venetian food court.

You pick bro'.

Hojo out
Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 AM

Lee, please reserve a table for a 2+2 donkfest at 1am Saturday morning. Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 09:57 AM

the room is getting there. Lee is willing to TRY stuff.
The flor is getting better. Still one or two need people skills work. I am sure this will be fixed in time.
The front desk (check in area) is getting better.
They still have a little hard time getting red chip limit games going. But I think in time Lee will find the right limits there too.
The dealers are better now, still a little work to do but that is normal for new rooms.
hummm, maybe the "V" should start a PLAYER ADVISORY BOARD. That would be a first I think and give locals a voice in what is right and what is wrong in our opinions.