Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Facebook turns down $750M acquisition offer

ow,

While right now it looks like that is likely to be true, there are many, many, many businesses that people have said similar things about.

Netscape and AOL are two good examples of companies that were dominant on the Internet and got killed.

Friendster was THE social networking site, then MySpace came along. Right now MySpace is still hot, but a lot of people are predicting that it is on its way down due to Facebook.

In the search engine world, Excite, Lycos, AltaVista and many others were huge, but Yahoo dominated them all. And then Google came around.

Valuations are a very tricky thing, and long-term sustainability is even trickier.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:29 PM

El D,

Thanks for the article about Friendster.

It's really shocking that an experience engineer would ever throw money at hardware instead of re-examining the software. I'm not saying anything you don't know, but that's like the first thing you learn as an engineer, especially in computer science/software engineering where things can be refactored quickly. But then I think back to some of the projects I've worked on and realize that most people just don't care or have the creativity/intelligence/experience to design extremely scalable applications. That's one thing I always admired the guy from LiveJournal for, his memcache stuff is amazing.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Anyone know how much equity Zuckerberg had in the company when they got the $750M offer and how much he has now? I haven't followed facebook that closely, but I was under the impression that investors now have a significant stake in the company. Has this always been the case? Am I even correct that this is the case now?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Badger,

Zuckerberg reportedly has between 30-50% equity in Facebook. I don't recall whether they took any financing after the $750M offer, but their last financings were at insanely high valuations, so his equity ownership has not materially changed in the recent past.

Investors have a big chunk, but Zuckerberg, apparently with a lot of help and advice from Sean Parker, has crafted better deals and retained far more equity than just about any other company taking venture capital investment.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call me a misanthrope, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot closer to having zero girlfriends than 500. Any close relationships I'd have would be formed before she knew about my wealth/work. Otherwise, I'd be paranoid about her being basically a whore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, when I said "girlfriends," I actually meant "insanely hot models and actresses who enthusiastically suck my dick whenever I want."
Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Letter from Terry Semel, recently resigned CEO of Yahoo!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 AM

Random 'valuations' don't count until you sell it and pay taxes/ it goes up ridiculously high like Google so even if your share falls 90% from $12bn you still have a Billion.

But, yeah, of course $50-100mm is a crapload of money even if that's all he ends up with.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Facebook looking for $2 Billion

"the company was launched just two years ago by a group of sophomores at Harvard University, led by Mark Zuckerberg"

All you college kids are gonna make this dude RICH.

Also, here are pics of a $12B girlfriend Larry Page and girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. i actually know mark personally, he lives in my area and went to my public school until 10th grade, and can say that he's definitely worked his ass off to get this far. he's been inventing wacky computer crap since 6th grade, it was only a matter of time until he hit on something this successful. i believe prior to this, he had developed a music preference generator, basically a program that learned what you listened to and made a playlist for you, that got stolen from microsoft since he didn't want to sell for 1m.

facebook actually developed from a prank that got him in deep [censored] at harvard...funny how he's probably sticking it to them with the megabucks he's getting

[/ QUOTE ]

You know better than me I'm sure but a buddy of mine from school was the brother of one of Mark's friends. So this guy apparently "hired" mark to code facebook. When he had put a bunch of work in, he gave this guy a bunch of bogus code and launched facebook, before he could launch his site "connect u" or whatever.

The kid made a big deal out of it to me and then put all this work into something about a law suit but nothing came of it as far as I recall.

[/ QUOTE ]\

Random bump but looks like something IS coming of it. Thought it was interesting.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1276903,00.html
Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Interesting stuff recently.

MySpace only made $10M on $550M revenue. Does that kind of low profitability for social sites hurt facebook?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting stuff recently.

MySpace only made $10M on $550M revenue. Does that kind of low profitability for social sites hurt facebook?

[/ QUOTE ]

question, because i'm clueless on how websites work. is there a pie chart or something that explains how myspace spent $540 million dollars? is it all bandwith? it's not like they take out superbowl ads or anything.