View Poll Results: Your move?
Push 9 39.13%
Raise less than AI (specify) 13 56.52%
Limp 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Belgariad game thread

WDC,

This is when I made my mistake of "coming out". I really thought that all of my fellow baddies would be paying attention and all vote for Traz. I was amazed that they didn't and screwed my team in the process.

That was my first mistake, especially since I had little to no suspicion on me at that point. I thought I was doing very well up until this point.

My second mistake was not realizing that Boiler had actually voted on the last day. I didn't see his vote, so I didn't try to corrupt him like I did the night before. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed to buy a vote that was never made. Right VR?

So, I switched to Eskimo, who I really thought was a villager. That was my second major mistke, which ultimately cost us the game.

BTW, I'm pretty sure if all the vanilla villagers had simply not voted, you would have won that way, as well.

Good game. I really wouldn't change anything -- including the way Asharak could "reveal" himself with a vote. I initially was surprised when VR said this was allowed. I think I asked her 3 times to be sure. Then I thought about it more, and it makes sense. The character is allowed to vote however he chooses in the game, so a vote shouldn't be counted against him as a reveal.

Anyway, good game.

My apologies on my performance to my fellow followers of Torak. LVP to me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 PM

Also, for future games of this type, where there is a set deadline for voting, I'd really like to see players who will actually be around near the deadline. I know it sucks for the Euros and Aussies (and Kiwis), but there are some strategies that depend on votes being cast/changed at the last minute. Not knowing if your teammates are going to be around to execute the plan really sucks.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:13 PM

I agree with pudley, as far as being around at the deadline. In theory, anyway.

11PM, sadly, is far too late for me these days, and it was a real stretch for me to stay up that late. I'd prefer games with a deadline that will always happen, like this one, the deadline come at 10. I'm probably in the minority on that one, though.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eleven's could have just used the same two guys. KUJ basically confirmed that Nachak's buys worked when he outted himself yesterday (for no good reason)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on using Boiler and WDC's vote again. However, I didn't see Boiler had voted, so I didn't try using his.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Mdorand's position was interesting. I would love to hear from VR how she would have voted if she was in Mdorand's position. Also an honest assessment from Pudley and Elevens would be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually addressed this in the game.

I'd be really torn, but I'd lean towards winning with the village. However, I commend Mdoran for his decision. I wouldn't have been upset or blamed him no matter what he had decided. I hope the villagers don't either.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
elevens is a very good ww player but he did make some costly mistakes here. the fact he voted at 10:58 instead of 11:00 left the door open he could be a two pointer. however credit also goes to the good guys for hanging in on the last day and somehow turning it around. am i correct that every single good guy needed to vote elevens yesterday, to force a tie? i was surprised at how hard people tried when it looked bleak to me as a spectator.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I plain [censored] up, it's as simple as that.

I really thought everyone would be paying attention to the thread at nightfall. I tried to wait as long as possible to put my vote for Traz in, but my clock wasn't synching quite right with the timestamp of the forum, so I couldn't be for sure. I guess I was more worried about costing us the game by not voting at all.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't have had a problem with any decision Mdorand made. It could be decided either way with a perfectly good defense. I was pleased to see most of our villagers stick around and participate throughout the game. Nich, Pistol and Traz especially did a great job. Our only real AFK player was Horn, who just doesn't seem to be cut out for long games.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with pudley, as far as being around at the deadline. In theory, anyway.

11PM, sadly, is far too late for me these days, and it was a real stretch for me to stay up that late. I'd prefer games with a deadline that will always happen, like this one, the deadline come at 10. I'm probably in the minority on that one, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Zurvan.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
elevens is a very good ww player but he did make some costly mistakes here. the fact he voted at 10:58 instead of 11:00 left the door open he could be a two pointer. however credit also goes to the good guys for hanging in on the last day and somehow turning it around. am i correct that every single good guy needed to vote elevens yesterday, to force a tie? i was surprised at how hard people tried when it looked bleak to me as a spectator.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I plain [censored] up, it's as simple as that.

I really thought everyone would be paying attention to the thread at nightfall. I tried to wait as long as possible to put my vote for Traz in, but my clock wasn't synching quite right with the timestamp of the forum, so I couldn't be for sure. I guess I was more worried about costing us the game by not voting at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elevens

The mistake was voting at all. When pudley put forward his "Lynch traz" plan, it hinged on the fact that pistol must be dead first. Otherwise, we didn't have enough votes to do it.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Here are my thoughts:

1. Special thanks to VR. I'm in the process of helping my wife move to Pittsburgh. Also, since this is the end of the year and she's a teacher and won't be around we're doing a bunch of social stuff with her friends. For this reason I was quite often afk, especially in the evening, which sucked because I wasn't there to resolve the odd conflict that came up or rules complication. She handled everything exceptionally well. While we were comodding it was more like having 1.5 mods.

2. As I said in thread earlier, there are some things in the rules we don't particularly like. To be honest when VR and I were coming up with rules to the game we didn't really consider Errand and Garion both being alive but both sorcerors being dead. I actually think the Errand thinks he's villager but wins with the bad guys aspect is pretty nice. The problem though is Asharak. We didn't plan for bad guys to just be able to talk openly in the thread, which is admittedly a pretty large oversight on our part because that will happen anytime a sorceror outs multiple baddies. My idea for Asharak is that Asharak knows the bad guys, they don't know him, Garion votes in thread, Asharak can manipulate Garion's vote as was done here. However, within some short period of time after night falls (to avoid any last second shenanigans) Garion can PM us either one name or two names and if he names Asharak then his vote will count. This will fully keep Asharak from effectively outing himself anyway.

3. I don't think the way this played out was standard at all. Two good guys getting lynched in a row is pretty standard. Neither had power roles. However, the bad guys first night they lynched kyro who was a power character (although the weakest among them) and the second night they lynched silk who had the most power other than the sorcerors. Furthermore that immediately freed up elevens to change votes as he wished, he risked having them invalidated but not getting outed. On the other side, the sorcerors got 6 views and in them hit (in order) one villager and one grolim, garion and the other grolim, and durnik and brill. So basically the night actions on both sides were very good and a bit lucky.

Jared