Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
I got the CoC 1 and 2 a few weeks ago, I can do a good 12-15 reps with the 1 and can do 2-3 with the 2 on my right hand only. Left seems to be a bit weaker, I'm sure we can all figure out why that is.

[/ QUOTE ]
when you mean reps do you mean the ends literally touch each other? That last credit card thickness left is like the hardest part to perform. I recently closed the #1 with my right hand, but my left hand is much weaker.

Also, the only average joe I know who is able to get close to closing the #1 is a drummer. My huge 6'4" father-in-law can't close it as far as I can. I have really small hands too.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Yes I mean no credit card, metal clicking on metal.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I mean no credit card, metal clicking on metal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't even imagine doing 15 reps of the #1. That is ridiculously strong to me. I guess when I start deadlifting around 300 lbs I will see some significant gains in grip strength.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Running prop bet.

What would be the even money line on how many weeks it would take a none runner, who dislikes running, but has played squash twice a week for past year skipping a few months to run a 32min 4 mile run outdoors. Assume he'll take near perfect workout, no personal trainer, not better his diet but have good mental toughness. Injury loses him the bet too.

edit: also he's also unfit but in shape. 22 years old. and the squash sessions were never that tough.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:30 PM

i think it woudl be hard for you to get much action. I mean your asking for 8 minute miles. That's pretty easy.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM

i'm asking how many days you would think it would take a non runner to get there. the line for this bet was going to be set at 28 days. thoughts on that?

fwiw this is also the navy SEALS running entry test. i think a lot of none serious runners think this is easier than it is because one or two 8min miles is easy.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 PM

yea thats fairly easy when you are 22 and active but as you age your time will erode by ~1% a year ie a 22 year old guy that does a 7 minute 5K in 21:50 will be running at 8:24/26:12 pace 20 years later.

out the door right now to do some speed work.

My goal is to go from my current 8:55 pace after not running much over the last dozen years,I'm 44 to a 7:30 pace. I been back running about 2 months ..my plan is to run 5K's every other weekend and build up my weekly mileage to 25 miles from 15 miles now. Also doing fartlek, hills and or speedwork at least 2-3 times a week as long as my body isnt overly stressed. Speed work can be very tough on your joints and nervous system...it even messes with my Masters swimming sessions and kills me on days where I do PT.

If you lift do speed work on your off-days.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm asking how many days you would think it would take a non runner to get there. the line for this bet was going to be set at 28 days. thoughts on that?

fwiw this is also the navy SEALS running entry test. i think a lot of none serious runners think this is easier than it is because one or two 8min miles is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some stream of conscious:

I'm not crazy about betting most people on what they can't do. How old and where he is physically determine this, as I'm pretty sure it takes longer than 4 weeks to make big changes in your aerobic base. The thing is, just because the guy might be able to barely run a mile his first day is less of an indicator of his aerobic base than you might think. It may be a matter of preparing his legs and mind for the effort and pounding. Also, big injury risk for some folks in going from zero to 4 high effort miles in a short period.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 PM

475 # DL yesterday, followed by a couple sets of 1000 #'s on the sled. Very happy, very sore, massage today put me in a coma.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
475 # DL yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, but did it give you a pump?