Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License

[ QUOTE ]
And, daryn, given the state of the country recently, I have no faith in the American public to "get it" anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The state of the country is exactly like it is because people just go along with whatever invasive crap they're confronted with.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:46 AM

WTF is wrong with you people? Do you honestly think anyone actually equates this guy with Rosa Parks? God damn where is that internet serious business thing when I need it.

I seriously think this thread has the highest ratio of stupid posts to total posts ever seen in OOT. And there's a lot of keen competition out there. If it wasn't for Hopey, we'd be running at just about a 1:1.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And, daryn, given the state of the country recently, I have no faith in the American public to "get it" anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The state of the country is exactly like it is because people just go along with whatever invasive crap they're confronted with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke,

I think the issue here is that showing a receipt doesn't pass the "invasive" test for most of us. There's a line, but I think this falls below it.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke,

I think the issue here is that showing a receipt doesn't pass the "invasive" test for most of us. There's a line, but I think this falls below it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT ZOMG BIG BROTHER, FOURTH AMENDMENT!!! IF THEY LOOK IN OUR BAGS, WHAT'S NEXT???? FIGHT THE MAN!!!

Seriously, if they ask to check your receipt on the way out of the store, especially in a business with TONS of loss potential, show them and go on with your day. If you get this wound up over something so small, I'd have to wonder how some of you deal with other things in life.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shouldn't stores have the right to make sure they aren't being stolen from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. That's why they have check-out lines and cashiers. They also have security cameras and security guards. However, once I pay for the item, it's now legally mine and I am free to leave the premises.

Leaving the premises with a bag, like hundreds of thousands of people do every day, is not probable cause for determining theft. Do you understand why?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if they ask to check your receipt on the way out of the store, especially in a business with TONS of loss potential, show them and go on with your day. If you get this wound up over something so small, I'd have to wonder how some of you deal with other things in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No freaking way. The line at best buy for bag checks is always 5-6 people deep. Just simply say "No thank you" and be on your way.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:45 PM

I would really like it if someone familiar with loss prevention could explain why stores think that having someone review receipts 6 steps from the cashiers serves any purpose.

1. What could a customer who paid for his merchandise possibly have taken in those 6 steps?

2. They don't stop people who aren't walking out with a bag. Does that make any sense? If you walk out with a bag -- an indicator of a legitimate transaction (and of being a good customer) -- then you subject yourself to investigation. But if you walk out with no bag -- having stuffed an Iphone in your coat -- you leave with no questions asked. Seems inane to me.

3. Don't stores like Best Buy or Circuit City have a beeper that goes off if you try to take something without paying?

4. Do they think having an 80 year old man, or someone with an IQ measured in degrees celsius, standing at the exit checking customers with bags really discourages theft?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stuff like this just smacks of attention whoring and life-trolling. The guy is being needless difficult to prove a point. Yay, he owned a stupid employee and a cop who got all cowboy. Long term he's just a pain in everybody's ass.

There's plenty of injustice in the legal system, and I'd rather we waited to get riled up when it's not some kid pimping for blog hits who is being unjustice-ed at.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is he being a pain in your ass? If he is willing to use his time to fight an injustice, that is awesome. Complaining that he just wants blog attention seems pretty ridiculous to me. And even if he does, who cares? His actions are still going to benefit society.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM

it must have some effect on their bottom line if they pay a guy to do it
Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 PM

This thread still sucks.

I read it for some reason anyway.

niss and Hopeless win this thread. They are good at Politics threads.

Pretty sweet ModWars™ breaking out between VR and daryn.

VR, it's never too early for tequila.